Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What are you listening to today?

Page 9 / 15
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

WHEW!

Always liked me some Bowie, but rarely turn there for virtuosity. Great songs, dont get me wrong, and this is not to say his band never had any, nor that he never paired up with any virtuoso musicians, just that when I want that, my go-to bands would be King Crimson, Rush, and Yes (in about in that order).

However, I just got knocked on my ass, again, by Dennis Davis, Bowie's drummer in the late 70s.

I still don't know how to embed a link, but do your mind a favor, make a couple of clicks and keypresses and go listen to "Look Back in Anger". Good lord, that guy is a BEAST on them drums!  How many arms does he have? And with touch, too.  Wow... just...

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 2, 2020 5:04 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

Just never gets old to me, even 45 years later! RIP Malcolm & Bon.

This post was modified 3 years ago by DesertWanderer

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 25, 2020 2:19 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

And the one and only Phil Rudd!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 25, 2020 2:52 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

This is probably the 100th time I have watched this concert and I still cannot believe the crowd!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 25, 2020 3:01 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

And........

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 25, 2020 3:16 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

I have not seen this incarnation of the video!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 25, 2020 3:26 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

My revamped car stereo, sounds incredible now. I do not like boomy bass like what you find in over 90% of car stereo builds including factory systems and why JL subwoofers suck. I like tight fast accurate bass that emphasis drum tracks with energy.  

It sound fantastic with this track and you can feel it in your bones. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 5, 2021 9:36 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Recently decided to listen to Gorillaz again. Landed on a track I had never heard before... now it's an earworm:

Apparently the above version isn't "available" to US IPs... so here is another link:

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 6, 2021 12:29 am
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I do not know if anyone has heard of the Lexington Lab Band. 

These guys  study the work of a lot of classic rock music and try to reproduce a nearly identical re production of the original piece. What is really amazing is the original artists probably cant do that in a live performance or in the studio. Most of the time a lot of it is mixed with special over dubs and sound effects that gets polished up for the album but some how these performers are able to pull it off probably because the technology is there to get the instruments to sound just right and their dedication for perfection. 

This is one of my favorites  from them because the original guitar work was done by Skunk Baxter who was the guitarists for the Doobie Brothers. There are several lead guitar breaks played in this piece that are extremely hard to get right but they pull it off extremely well. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 13, 2021 12:13 pm
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

Today on iTunes the #1 album is 40 years old...Queen"s greatest hits from 1981. The #2 album is Blue by Joni Mitchell  from 1971. I can believe it as my kids and their friends listen to more music from when I was in my teens and 20"s than their generation's music. It is why there are so many geriatric concerts going on over the decades.

Blown, it is like lift, only bigger, better, longer, stronger, harder... and that’s just the car. The first Rotrex supercharged 2zz Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2021 11:42 am
marsrock7 and dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @grumpy

Today on iTunes the #1 album is 40 years old...Queen"s greatest hits from 1981. The #2 album is Blue by Joni Mitchell  from 1971. I can believe it as my kids and their friends listen to more music from when I was in my teens and 20"s than their generation's music. It is why there are so many geriatric concerts going on over the decades.

Even though I think its great that the music that I listen to is standing the test of time and I do not have to be embarrassed by it like something from the roaring 20s doing the Charleston it is troubling that the youth have nothing of their own that has some rebellious sprit behind it. 

There is a simple reason for this and that is music today sucks balls with talentless fembots that have no spine. This is because the industry cannot reproduce authentic music from real musicians that are talented.  I heard a Joe Rogan podcast with David Lee Roth where they were talking about the Beatles and how hard they practiced every night until they were good enough to play gigs. David went on to say how hard himself and the VH brothers that had classical training took their craft seriously and worked very hard for it because they knew one bad review would tank them. There is no amount of autotune or engineering wizardry to short cut music when your core audience is not buying it and are gravitating to older music and not not making fun of it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2021 1:30 pm
Steve Miller and grumpy reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@dev Steven Wilson says it in a nutshell...

Ugh... Posted then listened.... That one has lyrics but the audio is shite. Cleaner version sans lyrics:

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2021 9:03 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@dev I mostly agree with you. The music industry has turned into a giant money making machine that swallows and digests nearly any talent that may have been present and the masses get served what comes out the other end. When Mudvayne released LD50 I was blown away (Dig was the lamest song on that album), then "industry" stepped in and everything after it was cookie cutter crap. I still love LD50 and I think it's the only masterpiece they ever produced together.

However, there is some hope. There is new music out there worth listening too, it just has to be actively sought. The masses are too placated to bother finding new music that actually has meaning, purpose, so those that care just a little are now reverting back to the old stuff. Nothing wrong with that, and hopefully it will be a gateway to help them find what they are looking for.

A while back I posted about lespecial. I touched on their ability to blend genres but the two songs I posted didn't really reflect it, just the heavy Claypool influence. Truth be told I had just scratched the surface and now I am head over heels (I actually bought everything they have released via Bandcamp). In my work I am surrounded by audiophiles and music aficionados alike. I've had several of them take a listen to a song or two and turned them all so far. I honestly believe lespecial has something for nearly everyone. So, in an attempt not to be too spammy, I've tried to compile a brief list of songs that cover a significant amount of their auditory diversity. 

To start, the song closest to a mainstream sound: Onlookers

The game (easy jazz? not on YT)

https://lespecial.bandcamp.com/track/the-game

The vessel (Nine Inch Nails'ish)

Cannibal Holocaust (funk, jazz, jam, not on YT)

https://lespecial.bandcamp.com/track/cannibal-holocaust

Gallows hill (indie?)

Yellow medicine dancing boy (upbeat reggae?+)

And there is much more still not touched on here. The best trio I know of that is still alive and actively making material. I hope someone here finds some joy in it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2021 10:13 pm
dev and grumpy reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @marsrock7

@dev I mostly agree with you. The music industry has turned into a giant money making machine that swallows and digests nearly any talent that may have been present and the masses get served what comes out the other end. When Mudvayne released LD50 I was blown away (Dig was the lamest song on that album), then "industry" stepped in and everything after it was cookie cutter crap. I still love LD50 and I think it's the only masterpiece they ever produced together.

However, there is some hope. There is new music out there worth listening too, it just has to be actively sought. The masses are too placated to bother finding new music that actually has meaning, purpose, so those that care just a little are now reverting back to the old stuff. Nothing wrong with that, and hopefully it will be a gateway to help them find what they are looking for.

A while back I posted about lespecial. I touched on their ability to blend genres but the two songs I posted didn't really reflect it, just the heavy Claypool influence. Truth be told I had just scratched the surface and now I am head over heels (I actually bought everything they have released via Bandcamp). In my work I am surrounded by audiophiles and music aficionados alike. I've had several of them take a listen to a song or two and turned them all so far. I honestly believe lespecial has something for nearly everyone. So, in an attempt not to be too spammy, I've tried to compile a brief list of songs that cover a significant amount of their auditory diversity. 

To start, the song closest to a mainstream sound: Onlookers

The game (easy jazz? not on YT)

https://lespecial.bandcamp.com/track/the-game

The vessel (Nine Inch Nails'ish)

Cannibal Holocaust (funk, jazz, jam, not on YT)

https://lespecial.bandcamp.com/track/cannibal-holocaust

Gallows hill (indie?)

Yellow medicine dancing boy (upbeat reggae?+)

And there is much more still not touched on here. The best trio I know of that is still alive and actively making material. I hope someone here finds some joy in it. 

Finally some good freaking music. Thank you. 

I do not say that lightly as I am a big critic to what I think needs to carry a beat and be novel. 

Very good attack  on the last one. I like it when music follows a grove and keeps things interesting with change ups. 

This is why I like Dave Brubeck

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 10, 2021 10:49 am
Uncle Mush and marsrock7 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Jam bands... There are many whose music sounds good in studio format, but it doesn't really shine until you experience it live. A long time favorite of mine is Widespread Panic:

Good clean southern sound, not overwhelming, but with the right audience in the right space it becomes amazing.

I've recently fallen for a band that takes it to another level. Dial back dominant vocals, add modern synth and guitar to the classic, and you have Dopapod.

One with vocals:

I got hung up on the studio stuff first, which is not typical of this kind of music for me. Then I started exploring the live releases. These guys record tons of their shows... They have 300+ live albums available for your listening pleasure.... And each one of them sounds different enough from the others to make most of it worth listening to. The 4-10 minute studio songs typically become 10-20 minutes live.

Still just on the tip of the iceberg for this one but I don't know if I'll ever get through all of the live releases. 

...during the writing of this post I found out there are two more studio albums I still haven't listened to. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 21, 2021 8:31 pm
Page 9 / 15
Share: