What are you listen...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What are you listening to today?

Page 15 / 15
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I'm still very old school -- which makes sense since I am so old!  I just finished making 17 Mix CDs from my collection of over 400 CDs.  I figure that is a little over 21 hours of music.  I can pop those babies in my 5-CD carousel and jam for hours on end.  I've got my very own little radio station that plays just what I want to hear.  Life is good.  🙂  I live in my own home and I am retired. Does that mean I live in a retirement home?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2023 12:14 pm
dev and LordTakuban reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I have almost 1TB of music. Most of it is all Flac and some DSD. I also have a healthy collection of high resolution remasters.  I do not collect for the sake of collecting, all of my stuff is worth listening to.  When I make my own car mixes It is condensed down to my best music so I don't feel the need to skip. 

Does anyone like Smooth Jazz from the 90s.  Last year I bought the DSD version of Foreplay. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2023 4:35 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

RIP - Robbie Roberson of The Band. One of my favorite groups from the late 60's / early 70's. I think I'll watch The Last Waltz - again. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2023 12:59 pm
(@j88teo)

Dire Straits and Chris Rea - took the 2 out to blow off the cobweds and cranked up the volume!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 14, 2023 11:42 am
Uncle Mush and dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Posted by: @j88teo

Dire Straits and Chris Rea - took the 2 out to blow off the cobweds and cranked up the volume!

Incidentally I got the Money for nothing high resolution remastered album that came out a year ago. 

The original Sultans of Swing was always kind of dull and muddy. With the restoration from the original masters they were able to clean it up. It sounds incredible in 24 bit. 

BTW this is not it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 15, 2023 12:34 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

RIP Jimmy Buffett. He was a classic. I guess I'll need to listen to my Buffett CD and make myself a margarita.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 2, 2023 11:56 am
Uncle Mush and dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Finally after so many years of waiting they finally released the high resolution version of Steely Dan Aja. This is considered to be one of the most sought after audiophile albums ever made. The problem is the masters were supposedly lost in the great Universal studio archive fire that occurred in 2008.  It was also reported that some of the unmixed copies of the masters were mishandled and lost.  Later it was discovered a few were found a few years ago. 

It was a struggle from what I read but they were somehow able to piece it together from a good copy and remix it where Donald Fagan was involved in the process.

I had a chance to hear it and compare it to the original mix. Its different. In some ways the audio clarity is better with the original mix but in other ways the high resolution mix is incredible as it has a lot of holographic instrument separation. I can hear the background singers as three individual voices when they harmonize. I can hear the skin of the drums and more emphasis on the ride cymbal. Lots of cool stuff as if I am listening to the album for the first time.  This album is considered to be Steely Dans best work as every track on the album smooth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 3, 2023 11:26 am
Uncle Mush reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I was reminded yesterday of one of my favorite guitar solos from Larry Carlton who played on this track.

There is a rapper named Kanye West who a lot of people think is a musical genius but in reality is a talantless rich jackass. What people don't know is he sampled this track and made it seem like it was his. It really bugs me that the original artists that are sampled put in a lot of blood and sweat and never get the name recognition they deserve. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2024 12:12 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I just watched this the other day and since we are talking about all things Steely Dan in this thread, I thought I would pass this along.  If I remember correctly, Rick Beato mentions an interview he did with Larry Carlton while talking with Michael Omartian in this interview.  Enjoy: 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2024 1:27 pm
dev reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I haven't had a chance to watch this yet, with Larry Carlton, but here is a link to the interview by Rick Beato: 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2024 1:29 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Hey UM I seen those interviews recently including the one with Steve Gadd. I never really known much information about these incredible session players because there was not much information about them until these masterful interviews by Rick Beato.  I am happy they are now being recognized for their contribution to the general public who are now rediscovering great music from the past. I use to think I was born out of time because I was listening to music that was made before I was born or in my childhood but now it is evident that great music is timeless when I see generation Z enjoying these hits. I am happy that they are not trying to do remakes like they did in the past and ruin the legacy from the original artists.

From these interview it seems like to me they are all a tight circle of folks that have been kept away from the spot light compared to the artists they helped. 

It blew my mind when I found out that the best selling album of all time Thriller was basically Toto plus Michael Jackson. 

This post was modified 2 months ago 3 times by dev
ReplyQuote
Posted : February 29, 2024 11:34 am
Uncle Mush reacted
Page 15 / 15
Share: