What are you listen...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

What are you listening to today?

Page 14 / 15
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

Regarding the Beatles... This is THE best Beatles song I ever heard. made the way it should have been.  It is a cover by one of if not the best male singer I have ever heard in the pop/rock genre. You have never heard of him much less heard him sing. He rarely leaves Oz. I was in Sidney where it was recorded in Dec 88. I had a chance to get tickets from the hotel, but we had never heard of him before, but we did end up watching it live on CC TV. I have not stopped kicking myself yet, after 33 years. This song was the last song preformed in an hour and a half concert.  You can see how he had the audience in his hand. He made the song into a ballad, the only thing he kept was the lyrics. When I want to really piss off rabid Beatle fans I say the Beatles had a good idea and it took Farnham to show how to make it great.

Tina Turner did a cover of the song and made it like Farnham did, not the Beatles version. right down to the sax.

Lenon even said it was how the song should be.

This post was modified 1 year ago 3 times by grumpy

Blown, it is like lift, only bigger, better, longer, stronger, harder... and that’s just the car. The first Rotrex supercharged 2zz Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 14, 2023 10:49 am
Uncle Mush reacted
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

This is one group that I listened to in the mid 70's and 80's. The polar opposite of what Rush did best, make everything perfect in studio. This was Stand back and follow the lead from Steve Ray, and they did that very well. The band was under appreciated by most. Stevie Ray played by ear...he never learned to read music. The studio music was Ok but they shined on stage. I only saw them 5 times, before he died. Way too few. Arguably the best guitarist. Best white boy blues group, possibly the best blues, depending on the flavor of blues you like best.

Blown, it is like lift, only bigger, better, longer, stronger, harder... and that’s just the car. The first Rotrex supercharged 2zz Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2023 6:36 pm
dev reacted
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

Another of my favorite groups...especially when they did more blues influenced songs. They did everything from blues, soul, acid rock, heavy metal, and hard rock. I come this because it shows how great they were together. Plant was the front man but each member was at or near the top of their craft. Like Stevie Ray they were better in concert than in studio.

Plant could just make noises and sounds and have it work cause he had the confidence to throw it out there and it just worked. Often their concerts lasted up to 2 1/2 to 3 hours. But that was with extended solos for everyone. Supposedly they never played the same way on any song in any concert. Sadly I only saw the half a dozen times as they rarely played anywhere near where I lived.

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by grumpy

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2023 7:28 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I love me some Zeppelin.  

I also like live recordings and even some bootlegs back in the day. 

Regarding live concerts there is something that came out a few weeks ago which is the great dividing line of people selling their souls. 

Apparently many of the aged acts have been outed for using backing tracks during live performances. It's now a big scandal.   

Ace Frehley has outed Kiss for using backing tracks and now Mick Mars from Motley Crue did the same. It's not just them some of the others are doing it also.  

I like Motley Crue but I hate the other three band members because they are talentless. Mick Mars is the band. He co-wrote most of the lyrics and pretty much give them the music that made them a successful act.  He doesn't even fit in because he is a 70s guitar player that plays blues riffs and he has his own distinct sound making him a serious musician. Never really cared for the spotlight or the credit but he had it with the band when they were gaslighting him on his contracts and using backing tracks. 

The bands that got caught doing it say that its necessary since it enhances the sound that people come to expect so it sounds full.  The point of a live concert is to hear the band play not the album.

It's really sad to see bands resort to being the new Villi Minnelli. 

Just curious if anyone thinks the girls from this video are now grand mothers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 8, 2023 2:10 pm
grumpy reacted
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

Going back into my preteen years...most of you might've heard the record but you haven't seen them preform...even on video. Blue-eyed soul.

Then here they are again. Remember this is mid 60's when the Beatles want to hold your hand. I am surprised it was allowed on radio. No video as no one dared to put it on TV... or was allowed to do so by the censors of the day.

Look at the difference 5 years make between this being censored and Lead Zeppelin being the normal or not even thought to need censoring. Once the wall cracked it was just gone.

This post was modified 1 year ago 3 times by grumpy

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 8, 2023 8:01 pm
dev reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

It's amazing what you can find on youtube. The Righteous Brothers - what a duo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 10, 2023 1:09 pm
grumpy reacted
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @mrsponz

It's amazing what you can find on youtube. The Righteous Brothers - what a duo.

A good bit ago I read about the origin of the song. It was for a prison movie in 1955.

It has changed a bit since the original. I wonder who ever found this and punt on YouTube to begin with.

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by grumpy

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2023 12:21 pm
mrsponz reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

Found this. I have heard many different versions of this song. Loved most of them.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/07/the-song-that-helped-ghost-live-on/398390/

This post was modified 1 year ago by mrsponz
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2023 4:16 pm
grumpy reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

RIP Gordon Lightfoot. One of my favorite folk/pop artists of the 60's and 70's. Man, that guy could write some great songs.  I'm listening to "Gordon"s Gold" as I type this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 3, 2023 3:58 pm
Uncle Mush, grumpy and dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I am sure UM will like this interview and so will others that like Steely Dan. 

This is probably on of the best interviews I have heard from a master musician who played on many Steely Dan tracks. I did not know he payed the Sanford and Son bass line.  What I found interesting is how the music industry is set up in those days and what it is like being a real professional. I remember Jeff Porcaro saying much of the same thing that it's not about showing off it's about providing what was needed and working to make ends meet that is the driving force.  I find it amazing that these musicians were forward thinking moving on to the next project and we are all backwards thinking trying to analyze how great they were when they could care less because it was a job to them. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 22, 2023 9:13 am
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

@dev Thanks Dev!  I'm looking forward to carving out some time to listen to the whole interview in one sitting.  I do like me some Steely Dan!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 22, 2023 7:43 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

RIP Tina 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 24, 2023 4:45 pm
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

yes . RIP Tina.

But there's just one thing
You see we never ever do nothing
Nice and easy
We always do it nice and rough

Proud Mary. I loved it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 24, 2023 9:01 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

They released two new Steely Dan albums in high resolution. Countdown to ecstasy and one of my favorites Pretzel Logic. 

They were remixed and remastered from the old masters. I think they did a fine job with keeping it true to the original recording mix but keeping that warmth. Some other conversions from other bands were poorly done with too much distraction where they are trying to wow audiophiles with too much cow bell but it comes off sounding hollow.  I'm willing to bet the original engineers and Fagan probably had to sign off on it. The dynamics on this is just wow especially with stuff like floor toms. 

I love that 70s detective funk sound. They just don't make music like this anymore.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 29, 2023 10:10 am
Uncle Mush reacted
(@j88teo)

Guns & Roses....

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2023 11:34 am
dev reacted
Page 14 / 15
Share: