Clear all

Long, slow build and swap

Page 2 / 2
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @pattielipp

Pretty relatable... Started my "Build" when I was 20 in 2010 not long after purchasing the car. I was young, dumb and had ambitious plans of a track build.. Three years of daily driving while building the car into a decent AutoX machine and I had to put it on the back burner. Got a new car and it just sat for a while. years pass, I continue buying parts, do little bits of work and ultimately give away that frame after purchasing a new and swapping all of the parts. It's now three years since trading up to a new MR2 and i'm still at it, only now with two kids, having moved 8 hours south, and life in general causing a slowdown of the whole thing. 

I have known many friends and people on forums that get way over their heads my self included with some of the hobbies I have.  One of my friends bought two non working  Mach 2 mustangs in the hopes of building one and in the process had all kinds of plans as he kept collecting parts. He also blue printed a Cleveland motor which he finished but the whole project was sold at one point years later  because he never got around to finishing.  He cut his losses and instead bought a functioning vintage Ferrari which made him happy because he had control over it as far as repairs. 

At one point around 2011 to about 2016 I let my car go and then it sat for three years because other hobbies took over.  There was much work to be done but it was constant nag seeing it sit there and knowing that it was in bad shape.  I made a list of what needed to be done and I knocked out over the period of six months and then I started to feel better the more I got done to the point where I was able to improve the car in the process.  

I was worried that after it was done I would let it go again but that hasn't happened as I have been enjoying and continuing minor restoration. 

If I was going to give any advise for the project minded I would say don't do it, just drive it.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 27, 2020 10:44 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @dev

If I was going to give any advise for the project minded I would say don't do it, just drive it.  

This is exactly why my project hasn't moved into physical build yet. I don't want to give up the car. I know there will be setbacks, fabrication, etc.... And it will be in pieces for a couple months, at the least. I have the itch to get another MR2, just so I have one to enjoy while one is in pieces. That's not happening any time soon thou. My single lane driveway is enough trouble with two cars.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 27, 2020 3:56 pm
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @dev

I would disagree. I would say put pen to paper and figure out a realistic budget and timeline, then double that.  Which is where most people screw up by either not doing it at all, or lying to themselves on prices and time. If you can't afford the money and/or time, then the project isn't for you.  If you see the project as having money tied up instead of something to enjoy or as an actual hobby, then the project isn't for you. A long term project is much like the spyder, it's not about the money or the destination, it's the journey that is fun.

Most project cars that I see sold were started by people who liked the idea of a long term project, but once involved, didn't like the money and time involved, couldn't actually afford to finish it, didn't have the knowledge themselves to go further and couldn't/wouldn't pay someone else to work on it, or a combination of the listed.  Lately I've seen some projects go because the people are chasing the 'popular' projects and just want the likes, attention and scene points that social media has brought on.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 1, 2020 11:19 am
WilcoMR-S and neomr2 reacted
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

@nocoolname

Agreed.  I started a complete suspension redesign on my TJ a quite a few years ago, and then life happened, but I am getting back on track and I always prefer to do my own work when possible so I know how it was done.

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 1, 2020 11:50 am
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

For me a major restoration would take years, most people lose interest. I try and do mine in small bites during the winter months. Drive it when the weather is better. With my Tbird every winter I do a little more. This year I’ve replaced the exhaust, and I’m installing cruise control. A few years ago I installed air conditioning. This requires multiple removals of the same Parts. I’ve taken the seat out every winter so far. The key is starting out with a decent car.

with older cars is good to open them up a get a good look every year. This year I found my starter cable had most of the insulation gone were it passes the back side of the motor. I found this while removing the exhaust.

many nicer old cars burn up every year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 1, 2020 9:16 pm
neomr2 reacted
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

I am in no hurry to free up garage space or rush my project. Part of that is due to having multiple cars to use in the meantime.

Bring a Trailer is a good place to find half started/finished projects if you want a second hand project on the cheap.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 3, 2020 3:43 pm
CSPIDY reacted
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

Started working 60+ hour weeks again, so progress slowed a lot.  Was able to get the Racepak pretty much wired in but still have to find a good mounting solution and cover the hole where the factory gauges were without it looking like crap.

[img] [/img]

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 7, 2020 5:58 pm
WilcoMR-S reacted
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

I removed some Powertrix coilovers and adjustable end links from a parts car I picked up a few months back and swapped them onto this chassis last night.  Also swapped over the headlights.  I had bought a new fender before picking up the parts car so it's installed but not completely lined up yet.  I threw on an extra bumper to check fitment of the fiberglass hood and front to back, it fits well.  However the fender to hood gaps are a little big and I'm not able to close them up as close as factory without adding a little material to the hood.  To me, for this car fixing that gap isn't worth the time as it isn't a showcar and the gap won't effect functionality.  I will be fixing some dings and scuffs on the body after it's up and running and vinyl wrap it, but that will be a winter or next year project.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 5, 2020 8:27 pm
dev reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Where did you get that hood and how much was it?

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2020 10:10 am
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @lordtakuban

Where did you get that hood and how much was it?

Here's an old ebay listing ;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FRP-EXIG-Hood-Frunk-front-For-Toyota-MR-S-01-05-ModeloDrive/163770733533?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2020 11:38 am
nocoolname and WilcoMR-S reacted
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

@lordtakuban I got it from Ebay.  The one @phats posted is the exact one, seller and all.  Someone was making inserts but you would need to cut your factory hood and I didn't feel like messing with that.

The hood is OK quality.  Fitment is good bumper wise, it's a little narrow as when centered, the gaps to the fenders are a bit wide for my liking, but this is a performance build, not a show car and it'll be staying a darker color when I do body work and paint or wrap next winter so the gaps won't be as noticeable. The other thing is it doesn't have the factory threads for the hinge bolts.  They're smaller and I'm not much on that.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 14, 2020 11:45 pm
WilcoMR-S reacted
Page 2 / 2
Share: