Clear all

Replace/rebuild rear caliper?

Page 3 / 3
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @haloruler64

Shame photos are gone. I also don't have fishing wire but I can improvise. And I'd prefer not to cut the old cable but I might have to. 

Cutting the old cable will just have less of it in the way outside the car.  The rest will be a remnant that is no longer visible and can be removed at a later date when you decide to drop the gas tank. 

LR mentioned he did it the hard way for a customer of his and it was a real pain because the gas tank needs plenty of room to drop and the area of where the bracket rests is very hard to reach. 

I also did my shifter cable this way and I did not need fishing wire this time around. It was much easier to undo the two most rearward tank bolts and let it hang so it opens. The cable can then be felt from underneath as its pushed and pulled until it can be felt from underneath and grabbed.   

The shifter cable was much easier because after you cut it from the cabin it will pass through the mounting point and out the car so no remnant remains.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2019 9:29 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @marsrock7
Posted by rpqmr2 on SC

setup
jack and block and release parking brake and remove rear wheels

remove old cable
remove pin holding the parking brake cable to the caliper
remove 12mm bolt holding parking brake cable loop
remove 10mm bolt holding plastic cover and bend down
remove 12mm bolt holding the parking brake cable next to the gas tank
cut the cable close to the gas tank (I used a dremel)
remove shifter knob and center console
unscrew 10mm bolt holding the cable
push the cable back through the hole

install new cable
put fish tape through hole in interior and feed along firewall and down (I have a fish tape from harbor frieght)
attach cable and pull back up
the rest is reverse of removal

the downside is that half a cable remains and the rubber grommet to the passenger cable doesnt come through. Maybe I can get it through from the interior on the other side.

Edit:
You can pull the rubber grommet off and then put it back on from the interior. Also, once the cable is cut, the inside part can be completely removed; only the cable casing will remain.

This is the best instruction I can find in that thread. 

Another in that thread mentioned using cable grease for bicycles or boats could help preserve still functioning cables.

One thing that you need to be aware of. The rubber grommet that is in the interior will be a real pain to put back or possible impossible from the interior side of the car. 

What I did was slice the grommet and pass out the old cable and push though the new cable.  The old cable will just hang supported with he mount that cannot be reached and out of the way. 

You can then afterwards add a little sealant on the slice and call it.   I didn't and will probably do so next time my console is off. 

There is another thread that has gone missing where I did a DIY on the cable that has a lot more replies but its gone now.  I also had critics of what I did and they can go to  hell. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2019 9:43 am
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

Here's some extra pics ......

https://www.spyderchat.com/threads/engine-heat-coming-through-center-console.150058/#post-2076210

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 10, 2019 10:03 am
haloruler64 reacted
Page 3 / 3
Share: