Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Antifreeze/coolant level

Page 1 / 2
(@hello)
Reputable Member

I am noticing a wide range in my reservoir level. It was around the low line on Tuesday. Added some. By Saturday it was almost empty! Filled it up to full, sat overnight and it was a bit below the full line in the morning. I don't see any leaks anywhere including where the radiator sits up front by the frunk. Temperature shows normal. I know the level expands and contracts due to temperature but I feel like my range is a bit too wide. Thoughts?

Topic starter Posted : August 19, 2019 5:15 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

have you driven the car between checks or is the level changing sitting static?

have you broken into the system lately?

my level is consistent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 19, 2019 6:54 pm
(@hello)
Reputable Member

I drive it between checks except for letting it sit overnight that once. I got it flushed a few weeks ago.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 19, 2019 7:05 pm
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @hello

I drive it between checks except for letting it sit overnight that once. I got it flushed a few weeks ago.

You probably still have a small amount of air trapped somewhere .....

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 19, 2019 8:30 pm
(@hello)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @phats

Right. That requires another flush eh?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 19, 2019 8:56 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Quick story. When I bought my car, the coolant was at low point when cold. I added coolant. Next day it was in the same place. I added multiple times and it always went back down. It's happy at that level. I later replaced the water pump and thermostat and bled the system and... it's back to the same place.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 19, 2019 9:00 pm
hello reacted
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

No not really .... you just need to bleed it at the front firewall and the top of the radiator .  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 19, 2019 9:26 pm
hello reacted
(@hello)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @haloruler64

Quick story. When I bought my car, the coolant was at low point when cold. I added coolant. Next day it was in the same place. I added multiple times and it always went back down. It's happy at that level. I later replaced the water pump and thermostat and bled the system and... it's back to the same place.

Interesting. Manual says the level should be between the low and full line when cold. It also sat at the low line consistently before the flush which is what bothers me but I guess it's ok.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 20, 2019 10:59 am
(@hello)
Reputable Member

No not really .... you just need to bleed it at the front firewall and the top of the radiator .  

Thanks, I will look into it.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 20, 2019 10:59 am
(@hello)
Reputable Member

My mechanic bled it to remove air bubbles and checked that there are no external leaks anywhere so hopefully that's the end of it. Otherwise, it's a head gasket...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 23, 2019 12:09 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

My mechanic bled it to remove air bubbles and checked that there are no external leaks anywhere so hopefully that's the end of it. Otherwise, it's a head gasket...

How did your mechanic do the bleed job? You can "burp" the sys by having the rear end higher than the front and removing the coolant reservoir cap. Doing the heater/rad vent valves requires the car be level, and attaching clear hoses to the nipples at those valves.

As far as the rad leaking, you had/have no visible wetness on the "ground" or the plastic under the spare tire well/rad? My rad was SHOT, as in VERY worn! I replaced the rad and all is well now.

Do you have a BGB? If you don't, it really helps having it in these matters.

I hope your sys is good to go!

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 23, 2019 2:18 pm
hello reacted
(@hello)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @galo

How did your mechanic do the bleed job? You can "burp" the sys by having the rear end higher than the front and removing the coolant reservoir cap. Doing the heater/rad vent valves requires the car be level, and attaching clear hoses to the nipples at those valves.

As far as the rad leaking, you had/have no visible wetness on the "ground" or the plastic under the spare tire well/rad? My rad was SHOT, as in VERY worn! I replaced the rad and all is well now.

Good question. I don't know. I have gone to him for years as have my brother and I trust his work. Can you burp it just by raising the rear? I thought that was part of the flush process, not something to do on its own.

Correct. I did not spot any leaks anywhere including by the rad and splash guards. The car is only 59k miles so I don't think my radiator's shot yet.

What's a BGB?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 23, 2019 7:38 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

What's a BGB?

Big Green Book(BGB)  or Toyota Factory Service Manual (FSM).

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 23, 2019 7:47 pm
hello reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Can you burp it just by raising the rear?

I thought that was part of the flush process, not something to do on its own.

The car is only 59k miles so I don't think my radiator's shot yet

What's a BGB?

That is how you "burp" it. I differentiate burping and bleeding the sys.

"Flushing" the sys doesn't really happen with a coolant change. Opening the 4 drains empties the sys. Flushing it would require connecting a water source and forcing water thru the sys.

What year was the car built, how many coolant changes have been done, and has it ever had a rad replacement? Time can be just as "bad" as miles.

Thanks, neo! I thought everyone knew about the BGB.

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 23, 2019 8:49 pm
hello reacted
(@hello)
Reputable Member

Can you burp it just by raising the rear?

I thought that was part of the flush process, not something to do on its own.

The car is only 59k miles so I don't think my radiator's shot yet

What's a BGB?

That is how you "burp" it. I differentiate burping and bleeding the sys.

"Flushing" the sys doesn't really happen with a coolant change. Opening the 4 drains empties the sys. Flushing it would require connecting a water source and forcing water thru the sys.

What year was the car built, how many coolant changes have been done, and has it ever had a rad replacement? Time can be just as "bad" as miles.

Thanks, neo! I thought everyone knew about the BGB.

Haha. You forget I am level negative 100. Distinction understood. I asked him to flush it but you're probably right that he just changed it. Coolant has never been changed nor has radiator been replaced. I only opted to change it because the guy I got it from didn't really care for the car. I will have to look into getting a BGB, thanks.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 23, 2019 10:28 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: