Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Replace/rebuild rear caliper?

Page 1 / 3
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I'm having an odd issue with my rear caliper. Pulling the handbrake just barely wiggles the mechanism on the caliper. Not much movement. When off, the caliper drags. So I don't think it's the cable, as a snapped cable would not cause the caliper to drag. Can't move the mechanism by hand either. So it's time to rebuild or replace. 

It's an O'Reilly caliper. I replaced both sides when both pistons jammed up. One already failed, so I got a full refund (O'Reilly no longer sells MR2 rear calipers). Now this one is acting up. I would PREFER to rebuild it strictly because it's painted black, but replacement is fine too. So, any tips?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

Topic starter Posted : August 20, 2019 5:06 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

Try pulling the pin that connects the p brake cable to the caliper.   A simple check to verify that the cable isn’t causing the drag.

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 20, 2019 8:06 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Once I pull the pin, what do I check? If the mechanism moves freely? How easy is it supposed to be to move? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 20, 2019 8:50 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

You want to check that the cable is moving freely and not frozen.  Hard to isolate the cause when its connected to the caliper. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 20, 2019 11:08 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I will do so later this week for sure, thanks guys. I'm not buying anything till I've finished diagnosing. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 20, 2019 11:20 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Cable definitely causing the drag. Punched the pin out and the caliper's handbrake assembly popped back into its neutral position. Cable moved the first pull but didn't budge the subsequent ones. Not broken, since it's moving and causing drag... but what could suddenly cause it to start dragging? Maybe needs adjustment on the center console side? Thoughts? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 7, 2019 1:52 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

My cables started sticking, but would free a little after driving.  By pulling gently on the brake handle, I could feel if there was loose play, indicating that the cables were tight and dragging on the brake.  For a while they would “reset” after driving.   I decided to extract the cables and see what was going on.   Holy crap - they were very very very tightly jammed in the cable housings.   I used a spring compressor threaded rod rigged backwards to pull the cables out of the housings from the back.  (First unsolder the tip at the brake lever).   The cables have a plastic sheathing melted (?) to the steel cable. I burned off the plastic with an oxy torch.   Reinastalled them, and reattached the tips at the brake lever.   Tada.   Free fix....only took me about 5 hours!!   I’ll dig up photos.

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2019 6:51 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I tried all sorts of motorcycle cable pressurized sprays prior to ripping the cables out.   No joy.   Nothing can soak between that plastic liner.   It’s debatable whether my (fix) was easier than dropping the gas tank and just replacing the whole cable.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2019 6:54 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member
714687D7 F055 4411 A17D 70E5E3C751DF
38304489 1677 471C 8C3D 135F62C1000C
8AF8D1B5 1544 412E BC1E E04371354467
7086266E 79EA 4F45 9A7A 520E8DDA187E
71A91AB9 CAEB 4111 A453 303C1895F9A6

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2019 6:57 am
hello reacted
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member
D6965008 C10D 49C1 8D27 F18888AE446D
6F807C9C 58AD 46E2 8A22 3750AD98D893

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2019 7:01 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I made the replacement tips from some hydraulic line fittings.   They were just the right size.  Actually I think one picture was trial #1, because my homemade tip is 90 degrees off!  Cable goes in the side, threaded bolt goes down the center.    

I went to all this trouble because my 2GR swap uses a pneumatic brake booster in the clutch system.  No boost until the engine is running, so it’s hard to get the car out of gear when parked.   I leave the car in neutral with parking brake engaged, so parking brake is critical for me.   

This post was modified 5 years ago by cyclehead

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2019 7:03 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I remember reading your thread cyclehead! But your expertise is far beyond mine in terms of your handiwork. Luckily I have a brand new OEM cable laying around waiting for this day to come. Bought it years ago knowing it would eventually need to be replaced. Good thing, back then I was doing alright and now I'm a bit broke haha. I'll likely just replace it even if it is a colossal pain to drop the fuel tank.

Mine has been dragging for a few drives, never freed up no matter what I did. Brake would smell after a drive. It's toast. But I'll keep the old one around, might do this mod eventually.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 7, 2019 8:04 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

If it wasn’t so hard to pull the seized cable out of the housing, it would be a simple fix.  We need some clever entrepreneur to make a threaded extractor tool from a piece of all-thread.  The homemade tips are easy to make.  And the “fix” works!  No more seized cables....   Actually, a piece of 1/2” electrical conduit, a length of 1/4’ allthread, nut and washer would just about do it.  Maybe weld a nut on the end of the allthread so you could spin it with an electric impact tool.

This post was modified 5 years ago 2 times by cyclehead

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2019 8:26 am
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Posted by: @cyclehead

If it wasn’t so hard to pull the seized cable out of the housing, it would be a simple fix.  We need some clever entrepreneur to make a threaded extractor tool from a piece of all-thread.  The homemade tips are easy to make.  And the “fix” works!  No more seized cables....   Actually, a piece of 1/2” electrical conduit, a length of 1/4’ allthread, nut and washer would just about do it.  Maybe weld a nut on the end of the allthread so you could spin it with an electric impact tool.

It sounds like a new product may soon be added to the line of amazing products available only from Cyclehead Design Studios.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 7, 2019 10:14 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Send core in, get fancy working cable back. Could charge $$$ since OEM cables are so expensive. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 7, 2019 11:13 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: