Share:
Notifications
Clear all

No-start advice please

cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member
My daughter drove out to my house yesterday.
Her 2002 wouldn’t start when she tried to leave.  

Engine turns over plenty fast, but won’t fire.
It will start and run on starting fluid.
SMT stuff all looks good, green light is steady etc.
Filled up with fuel about 40 miles ago.
No check-engine lights, and no pending codes.

Do you guys have any magic bullet places to start?
I thought of swapping relays in the engine compartment.
Then tear into the fuel pump.
Ideas?

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

Topic starter Posted : April 6, 2020 8:03 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Starting on starting  fluid is a big clue. I would remove the spark plugs and then start once more and observe if gas is being sprayed. You will know right away, use plenty of rags. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2020 8:22 am
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

Check the voltages before messing with the pump.  The EFI system is fed voltage through both relays and fuses.

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2020 8:40 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

Thanks, I’ll chase fuses, then relays, then off to the pump.   I installed a new pump about 4 months ago, but it’s all been working fine til yesterday.

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 6, 2020 9:11 am
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

Another suggestion, after all the cranking you have taken a lot of charge out of the battery.  If you want to preserve the life of the battery, charge it up now with a charger

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2020 11:27 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Water or contamination in the gas? One clue: "just filled up the tank...".

This has happened to me, that's why i am throwing it out there. Not sure whether the starting fluid negates the theory...

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2020 12:41 pm
neomr2 reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Posted by: @nottamiata

Water or contamination in the gas? One clue: "just filled up the tank...".

This has happened to me, that's why i am throwing it out there. Not sure whether the starting fluid negates the theory...

Yes . . . That happened to me too with my Matrix many years ago.  I filled-up at a Chevron and almost immediately there were problems with my car.  I took it to the dealership and they fixed the problem (via magic, for all I know) and I paid them.  Then came the news release in my area identifying water contamination of the gas that happened at the refinery (maybe less than 50 miles away from where I purchased the gas).  I presented the receipt from where I purchased the bad gas and the invoice from the Toyota dealership for the repair and Chevron refunded me.  I don't know how much of that information is helpful to you, now that I read this back, but I know when I got some bad gas, it made it so my car would not run correctly.  My wife would tell you that when I have bad gas, she just runs in the opposite dirrection, but that is a different story intirely.  TMI?  Oh well . . . just keeping it real (and hopefull a little entertaining).

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2020 1:00 pm
dev reacted
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I’m working through...   fuses are all fine in the engine bay fuse box.   Swapping known good relays produced no change.  I pulled off the fuel line at the pump and cranked.   No fuel spurts at all.   Working on pump tests now before it gets ripped out of the tank.   Grrrrr!

This post was modified 4 years ago 3 times by cyclehead

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 6, 2020 2:12 pm
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

I'm surprised a certain someone hasn't ask if you bought a denso fuel pump or something else .

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2020 4:09 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Ah that sucks! Time to test the wiring at the pump, see if it's getting voltage. Toyota pumps rarely die but luckily this one is fairly easily accessible.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2020 5:47 pm
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

Got it.  Thanks for the encouragement.  

This is the rescue car.  It sat for 7 years I think.  When I salvaged it, the tank was full of dried sludge and the fuel tank sender wires we completely corroded through.  Too many years exposed to air and moisture I presume.  

The repair today ...  Fuses and relays were all good.  But no resistance at the fuel pump pins.  Nothing when I applied 12V.   I pulled the pump assembly out and shot 12V directly to the pump.  And it worked fine!   Finally chased the break in continuity down to one connector blade inside the pump housing.   They’re the pins that are all dark.  I sanded the male pin, and replaced the female connector with a clean spare part.

As luck would have it, the pin quit carrying voltage in my driveway.  So my daughter wasn’t stranded.

Thanks again for the tips to get me started!

3CB6245A 0D1C 496E B08F B7B5A5D2FE50
C4A5357B B956 4410 9BE1 DDA8659B6EF0
This post was modified 4 years ago by cyclehead

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 6, 2020 6:18 pm
CSPIDY, dev and neomr2 reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Great work! Glad it's all fixed.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2020 9:27 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Way more heroic than a $5 bottle of STP gas treatment.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2020 9:34 pm
Share: