Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Changed the oil. Interesting observation.

Page 1 / 3
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

My car was sitting for roughly 6 months. I don’t put that many miles on my car so I generally change the oil every 2 years with high quality synthetic oil. This time I switched from German Castrol to Pennzoil ultra SRT oil.  Very good stuff. 

Anyway the rule of thumb that most people follow for decades is to change the oil after the engine is warmed up. Have it circulate to clean up any deposits to get it all out.

This time around I didn’t do it the traditional way and just drained it cold. The end result was I needed more oil to fill up the sump. It would appear that advise may have had some value from the conventional oil days but it’s not only not beneficial, you can get more oil out if you drain it cold if the car has been sitting a good while.  All of that residual oil eventually pools, to the pan the longer it sits.  Usually my car takes 4.2 quarts, this time it was a little more than half a quart more than I normally add.  

Topic starter Posted : April 8, 2020 8:28 pm
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

For reference, I add 4.6 quarts (including new oil filter) when changing my 2zz. I do it prior to first morning start. It’s a daily.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 8, 2020 8:57 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @ispy

For reference, I add 4.6 quarts (including new oil filter) when changing my 2zz. I do it prior to first morning start. It’s a daily.

Good to know. I got roughly 4.8 this time. I thought I had a leak as the dip stick level was much lower then when I normally change the oil piping hot. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 8, 2020 9:04 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

I've always stuck to the rule of changing the oil warm. Supposed to get a better drain.... I can absolutely see how a car that's sat for at least a few days would have more oil in the pan to drain thou. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 8, 2020 10:46 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @marsrock7

I've always stuck to the rule of changing the oil warm. Supposed to get a better drain.... I can absolutely see how a car that's sat for at least a few days would have more oil in the pan to drain thou. 

Im doing it this way from now on. More oil evacuated being the result is better than having more then half a quart of old oil left behind.  I do hate that second of dry start noise with a car thats been sitting too long starting for the first time. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 8, 2020 11:08 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@dev

Maybe it's time for us to start changing our oil with a cold engine, filling our oil filters with oil before installation, then unplugging our injectors and priming the oiling system with the starter 😛

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 8, 2020 11:30 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

@dev

Maybe it's time for us to start changing our oil with a cold engine, filling our oil filters with oil before installation, then unplugging our injectors and priming the oiling system with the starter 😛

Even if I started the car with the old oil the first start is all ways rough for second. I think that noise is from the valve train. It probably shortens it’s engine life by  50 miles at best but it’s hard on the ears for that split second. 

I think the SRT oil is a good fit because it’s more like a thick 30 weight oil with lots of moly anti wear additive. Probably overkill but at least the intake cam will last since that is what wears the most on the 2ZZ. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 9, 2020 7:51 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@dev you getting VTC clatter? My VTC gear clatters on some cold starts for a second. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 9, 2020 2:13 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

@dev you getting VTC clatter? My VTC gear clatters on some cold starts for a second. 

I don’t have any clattering. Engine is very quiet. I only get a dry start If the car has been sitting for a very long time and it’s for a split second. I know many that do get the VVT clatter particularly 1ZZ as it sounds like it’s dieseling. It’s can be from a worn lock pin in the actuator or gummed up passages. I solved one owners locally with doing a AutoRx treatment and recommended this to other members. Some did a chemical flush and noticed that it was reduced by half.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 9, 2020 3:22 pm
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

I have heard that if a car has sat for extended periods, you can pull out the spark plugs and add lubricant through the open spark plug hole.  I think the suggestion was a tablespoon of 2-cycle oil. But honestly, nah for so many reasons.  20+ years ago, I recall a mechanic telling me that I should not put oil in the filter during a change (although how F hard is that when the filter is sideways mounted!). The reason he told me is that the air between the pump and filter and filter cylinder head ends up compressing and not efficiently moving the oil as quickly as just letting it start with filter empty. So the filter fill time is less than the air pushing the oil time.

Maybe the excess oil after long sit is filter drainage?  Maybe residual oil in the pump and passages?

I stick with synthetic which allegedly remains adhered to the sidewalls (BS) longer and I daily my cars or close to it.

This post was modified 4 years ago by ISpy
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 9, 2020 4:58 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Prefilling the filter isn't hard even with a horizontally mounted filter. The filtration media soaks up the oil pretty quickly, I typically fill mine 3x before installing, and it usually looks empty by the time I install it. My TSX has a horizontal filter and I never spill a drop (from the new filter anyway). I do see my oil pressure light go away after an oil change much faster when I have added oil to the filter before installation. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 9, 2020 6:59 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Prefilling the filter does seem to make a lot of sense.  I'm going to start doing that from now on.  It will be a bit trickier with the STi with how the filter is positioned, but some oil can be put in for sure.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 9, 2020 7:51 pm
marsrock7 reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I found some new information.

It appears that the hot oil changes will float up sediments on the bottom of the pan and will allow the oil to flow out faster. 
Not an issue with modern synthetic oil that had good detergency. I removed my pan once and the bottom was spotless. If you look at pans that run conventional oil they will have a layer of crud and sediments build up. 
Cold change has the advantage of getting more out. 

Changing oil annually is not necessary with a quality synthetic oil with a high enough base number as it will cushion acidity and as long as the moisture is burned off it should be fine. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 9, 2020 9:46 pm
marsrock7 reacted
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@ispy  Your mechanic is totally incorrect about filter filling.  The bottom line is that if you fill (or partially fill) the filter, the time from cranking to uninterrupted oil pressure to the bearings gets drastically reduced.  You can actually hear the difference between an empty oil filter startup and filled oil filter startup.  For the first startup after a filter change, would you rather pump a full filter's volume of air through your bearings, or a fraction of that volume? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 10, 2020 1:49 pm
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@ispy  Your mechanic is totally incorrect about filter filling.  The bottom line is that if you fill (or partially fill) the filter, the time from cranking to uninterrupted oil pressure to the bearings gets drastically reduced.  You can actually hear the difference between an empty oil filter startup and filled oil filter startup.  For the first startup after a filter change, would you rather pump a full filter's volume of air through your bearings, or a fraction of that volume? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 10, 2020 1:54 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: