Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2023 a new year of Spyder maintenance and enjoyment. What are your plans for maintenance this year.

Page 6 / 7
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Posted by: @dev

I forgot to mention one other thing I did which I did not think there would be much of any difference. 

I have the Speedsource brass shifter bushings which I like because they reduce the compliance from the stock rubber ones. 

Last year I helped a local owner install the Frankenstein motorworks shifter bushings that has an articulating teflon race unlike the previous bearing bushings that people had. He was having difficulty going into reverse with his Euro transmission and now that problem his solved. 

I could only fit one of the bushings because it was a very tight fit that kept getting jammed on the cable end. I probably need to sand the surface but did not have the time so we put it off until this year. 

I was curious so I swapped out one of my brass bushings to see if makes a difference and it did. The shifting is still tight but feels much better like a Miata. I decided to buy the kit and install the other one.  I highly recommend these. 

I just wanted to update this. I received another set of the Frankenstein motorworks bushings so I can add the 2nd one and also finish up my friends car since we both split the last kit. 

I am completely blown away. I have the cheap eBay short shifter which is a B&M copy. I like it over the TRD because the throws are greatly reduced but it has some negatives being that it requires more effort and can be a little harder to get into gear if the gates are not perfect. This never bothered me but I know it bothers others. 

With one bearing bushing the shifting improved a lot.  I was able to catch lift several times from 1st to 2nd smoothly. Before this it would grind which I thought I was too fast for the synchronizers.  I think its because there was stress on the gates getting it into gear. I also think the OAD pulley is also helping here to kick the engine down faster.

I added the 2nd bushing and I still haven't driven the car yet but felt the shifter. It goes into every gear as good as a MX5 where the shifter is right under the transmission without linkages to cause any slop.

Whatever negatives were there with this short shifter are completely gone.   

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 13, 2023 1:30 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

That's good to hear.  I installed the bearing bushings during my project as well.  I've had those sitting in the garage since 2008 I think.  hahaha.  So many parts finally made their way onto the car.  I haven't driven the car yet, but it does seem to go into gears really smoothly and precisely.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 15, 2023 9:48 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Posted by: @lordtakuban

That's good to hear.  I installed the bearing bushings during my project as well.  I've had those sitting in the garage since 2008 I think.  hahaha.  So many parts finally made their way onto the car.  I haven't driven the car yet, but it does seem to go into gears really smoothly and precisely.

LT keep in mind that these are not bearing bushings that was sold over a decade ago. The ones that are being sold now have a teflon race that articulates like a joint so it twists and gets the shifter linages in alignment.  The roller bearing bushings only rotate but do not articulate.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 15, 2023 12:48 pm
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@dev are these new bearings for the end of the shifter cables, where the interface with the transmission? I believe I replaced mine with solid brass bushings way back as one of my first mods

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 15, 2023 5:54 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Posted by: @ria

@dev are these new bearings for the end of the shifter cables, where the interface with the transmission? I believe I replaced mine with solid brass bushings way back as one of my first mods

Yes they are. The brass bushings were also one of my first mods back in the day and they made a good difference from the OEM rubber. However these new ones have the same solid feel but since they articulate in multiple directions the linkages are better aligned to go into gear with less resistance. 
It’s hard to explain but they feel great. I think it’s possible that there is less stress on the cable from stretching. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 15, 2023 7:14 pm
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@dev thanks for sharing. I think ill pick up a set. I love smooth shifting. Do these new bearing/ bushings need to be greased every now and then or do they seem to be set it and forget it?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 15, 2023 10:02 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

@ria 

No grease required. They are Teflon lined and sealed. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 15, 2023 11:26 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

I just realized I've been posting about this shirt in the car maintenance thread haha. My bad on that. I've got it live on my website now, though won't be in town to ship em out until Monday.

https://steinblokk.com/gear/midship-runabout-shirt/

What do you guys think is the best way to get the word out? I was thinking of starting a member classified thread on the other site, and maybe putting something in the facebook group. 

@dev any advice?

Don't worry about it...people were gathered in a discussion forum discussing!

Yah, maybe start a thread there.

By the way, I was referring to a simple, 1 layer jacket, not necessarily multi layered. Back in the late '60's, there was a " Dan Gurney for President" "movement", thru the AllAmericanRacers(AAR) club, of which I was a member. My Mom sewed the patch on my lightweight, dark blue jacket...no need for deconstruction! I LOVED that jacket and wore it proudly!

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2023 8:51 am
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

LT keep in mind that these are not bearing bushings that was sold over a decade ago. The ones that are being sold now have a teflon race that articulates like a joint so it twists and gets the shifter linages in alignment.  The roller bearing bushings only rotate but do not articulate.  

Interesting.  I did notice one of the cables was at a bit of an off angle.  I'd like to say I'll look for these newer versions and swap them out.  But it was such a PITA getting at these that I might just see how the ones I have work and then look to change them if I don't like them or notice any binding from the slight twist.

Thanks for the difference clarification.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2023 10:19 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Interesting.  I did notice one of the cables was at a bit of an off angle.  I'd like to say I'll look for these newer versions and swap them out.  But it was such a PITA getting at these that I might just see how the ones I have work and then look to change them if I don't like them or notice any binding from the slight twist.

Thanks for the difference clarification.

I first install them on a local members car thinking they were the roller bearing type so I was mistaken also because they look so similar until you see them up close. I was completely blown away with how they felt with just one and I think you will also. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 16, 2023 8:10 pm
LordTakuban reacted
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@galo send me a pic of the jacket, inside and out. If thats the case, I can probably stitch it out on the chest.

In other news: I scored 4 calipers off the other forum for very cheap. Currently rebuilding and painting them so they'll be nice and fresh before I install them. Going to be using G2 Caliper paint, and I ordered the seals from toyota/ their manufacturer. 3 of the pistons popped out at 60psi of air, but the last one required around 105psi. No scoring or corrosion, so I think I got really lucky.

IMG 20230517 WA0000
ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2023 10:27 am
LordTakuban, Galo and dev reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

I'll work on that. The one I have is a lightweight, light tan IZOD golf jacket.

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2023 2:21 pm
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member
20230518 223324
20230518 223048
20230518 223330

Now I just need to wait for these guys to cure, and for the seals to come in

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 18, 2023 10:36 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

As for shirts or whatever, I'm going to be posting a link to my website soon, and if you don't like the shirt option I have available we can go from there. I only have T-Shirts but Im sure people would like polos, so Im planning on looking into sourcing some good ones.

This is awesome! I'll definitely be picking up a T and polo, and a couple patches if all of the above becomes available. Do you have measurements for the shirts? I tend to fall metween medium and large quite often when ordering online and its always a 50/50 chance I'm wrong 80% of the time. 

Also... Wish I'd known about the site sooner. I'm not a hobby climber but am an industrial one. Made the mistake of looking through the retired items and I'm now pining for a Pulse and Galactic Run-out shirt :-/

Great designs all around. It's nice to see some high quality USA designed *and* produced items available at a reasonable price. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 20, 2023 4:01 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Posted by: @marsrock7

Just took a glance and reservoir level is still in the usual place, matched up with the seam well above the old fill line. Maybe later this week I'll have time to mess with it. Still find it odd... I've driven at least 500 miles without incident after the two overheats. I figure if an air bubble purged itself the coolant level would've changed. 

Belated update to this.... Over a month ago I did burp a ridiculous amount of air from the coolant system. Coolant tested clean, no head gasket failure. I reversed the car up my inclined driveway and rear wheels up onto some blocks. The reservoir almost completely emptied itself, *and* I burped more air out of the radiator too. I should've kept track of how much coolant I added but failed to do so. I'd guess about a quart. I suppose there's probably a very minor leak somewhere I haven't noticed yet. Unless consistent parking on a steep incline with the front of the car high somehow slowly allows air to build up where it shouldn't... Seems speculative. More likely a leak. Nonetheless, no more overheats since. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 20, 2023 4:18 pm
dev and Uncle Mush reacted
Page 6 / 7
Share: