Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2023 a new year of Spyder maintenance and enjoyment. What are your plans for maintenance this year.

Page 7 / 7
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@marsrock7 Thanks for the praise. It means a lot. Running a small brand has been tough, but very rewarding. Its always really cool to think about all the people around the world, in places ive never been, wearing and enjoying my stuff. Also, it was surprisingly difficult creating a usa supply chain we liked. There arent that many major manufacturers to choose from here, and a lot are already at capacity. We use Nike socks because we havent found a good usa sock supplier yet, and not for lack of trying.

Ive attached an image of the sizing chart for the shirts. Generally, these shirts are a longer cut than your standard t shirt, meaning they go down slightly further on your body then most shirts. However, past that, they are pretty standard. Im 5'10" 150lbs, with my height biased towards my legs, and I wear a medium. If you order something and have a size issue, I dont have a problem doing exchanges as long as shipping is covered.

Really cool to hear you do industrial climbing. Are you talking like tower painting/ servicing and stuff like that? One of my friends was working the superbowl at the rams stadium and they had him up in the air servicing who knows what.

But yeah, it might take a little bit because im taking summer organic chemistry right now, but im planning on adding patches to the site, as well as different car colors, in the coming weeks.

Screenshot 20230522 074932 ReadEra

Edit: Also, if you want to get a shirt off the retired list, I still have supplies to manufacture most everything except the box design shirts from the space release (so galactic runout isnt possible). Quality control was very difficult on those due to nature of the backing fabric. I could make another pulse shirt though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 22, 2023 8:00 am
marsrock7 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@ria I know finding quality USA merch can be difficult. My labor union requires all merch and gear we have made be USA union made, and the options just aren't great. Personally I'm boycotting until the quality comes back. It's sad the (much cheaper) clothes I buy that are made out of the country have better QC and are more durable. 

Thanks for the size chart. After measuring a few of my own best fitting Ts I think a medium will work for me. Thank you also for the offer to produce Pulse again. I will likely take you up on that, but I'm gonna order a midship shirt first and make sure the sizing is right before I ask you to go through the effort to produce a retired product on my behalf. Want to get that right the first time. 

My work is closest to your last example of your friend at the Superbowl. I'm primarily a theatrical and arena production rigger and flyrail operator. Most of what I do in this capacity is fairly processed and setup for speed and ease by the time it becomes my job, but a lot of the freelance and install work is where it gets interesting. Full stagehouse installs/retrofits for manual and/or automated fly systems, stadium rigging, repair work, high rise scaffolding, jumbotron installs/retrofits, sometimes it's just changing lightbulbs or accessing equipment installed in really stupid difficult to access locations. We always joke that tower painting, bulb changing, and high rise window washing are the backup plans 😛

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2023 12:36 am
RIA reacted
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@marsrock7 What a wild job. Seems like it would definitely have its fun moments. If I was introduced to rock climbing before I had developed any long term career goals, I probably would have landed in a height related profession. I didn't realize how in demand the related skillsets were until I started asking my climber friends what they do for work lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2023 11:32 pm
marsrock7 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@ria it's an interesting niche for sure. Compared to rock climbing (in my limited experience) it's way easier too. Man made structures are generally predictable, outdoors you still have some weather variables, indoors those go away but are replaced with suffering the heat of a ceiling. It's fun most of the time and the odd jobs tend to get thrown at me because I like the challenge of figuring out what others assume to be impossible. Having groundies cut me a check while still muttering "How TF did you do that so fast?" Is one my my favorite things lol. 

Was rigging in a 160ft stadium a couple years ago and the local fire dept showed up to do their mandatory rope access training. They saw us climbing around in the steel and said we were F-in crazy. Responded with "you guys are crazy! We don't run into burning buildings!"

Being height comfortable you've always got a backup job if you need it or just want some side cash. Other industries aside, there is a huge shortage of theatrical riggers continent wide. Nights and weekends are the best time to make OT and DT too. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 24, 2023 4:15 pm
RIA reacted
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@marsrock7 I've got your shirts all packaged up, and Ill be dropping them at the PO this weekend. Lmk what you think when you get them. 

How do you get into theatrical rigging? Would I need to seek out training first, or would it be more of an on the job type thing?

Also, I finished installing my new calipers. It feels great having breaks that dont drag again.

20230526 124812
20230526 124753
20230526 124817
20230524 163217
20230524 182415
ReplyQuote
Posted : May 26, 2023 8:46 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@ria Awesome! I'll be sure to provide feedback. 

I do not know the employment landscape for stagecraft in WV, but I do see there are 4 IATSE locals in the state. Having started non-union and made the jump, I've done much better with the IATSE. Nowdays when I do freelance (outside of jurisdiction) my rates are better because employers know they have to incentivise above what I could make at home. 

If you're interested I would suggest calling one or more of the IATSE locals nearest to you and see if they could use someone with your skillset. In my area nearly all training is done on the job but this can vary by location. Some employers may require OSHA 10 or 30, lift driving certs, SPRAT or similar (if you actually get a gig requiring rope access), and some locals do require an in house rigging training class before letting you go out and work over people's heads. (All I have is an all inclusive lift operator cert and it's been years since anyone has even asked to see it lol)

Here's a decent video showing what a generic arena rig is like from the topside. Took me way too long to find a video that was no nonsense and just work with decent form:

This is a pretty good demo video of real riggers out of Vegas. Didn't look into the company but it looks like they specialize in the more interesting jobs. I'd wager there are multiple classes and certs required for all of these employees:

If you do reach out just be honest about your availability/schedule and whether you would be willing to do regular stagehand work or specifically looking to do at height work. Worst they can say is no, best case you got a decent side gig when it lines up. If you get onto a call, try to find the smartest (not the loudest) rigger in the room to help you get your bearings. There are way too many who think they are better than they are. (What's the difference between a rigger and God? God doesn't think he's a rigger.)

If you want to know more about what to expect, materials, hardware, whatever... I'm happy to share any knowledge I can. 

The brake refurb looks excellent btw!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2023 1:57 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Picked these up from the post office a couple of days ago! Here are my impressions:

Material quality is fantastic, the embroidery is top notch, no puckering at all after a cold wash and low heat dry. The fabric is very comfortable. I am 5' 11", 160lbs and the medium fits perfect, can even afford to lose a little to shrinking. The shirt length is right for tucked or untucked, a fair bit more length than I expect from a medium. Overall great shirt. I'm proud to wear it.

20230605 125449
20230603 093711
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2023 12:34 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

m7, I tried to watch the first video...tried...I'm acrophobic, and I drew back in my computer chair 😯 😳 My late Father worked at the Indy Internat Airport from the mid 70's thru early 80's(65-75y/o), He would volunteer to replace the lights in the different power line towers...he was paid $100 per light, 3-4-5(?) lights.

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2023 8:41 pm
Uncle Mush and marsrock7 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@galo at least you tried! Haha. most of us have some kind of irrational fear. Growing up I used to have a very rational fear/respect for heights, my (mostly) irrational fear is ladders. My grandpa is the kind of man who wastes nothing. If a rung on a 50yr old wooden ladder snaps on you while you're using it... You just replace that rung, right? Most of the ladders I am around now are nothing like the ladders I was around in my first 20 years of life but the fear has stuck with me. From the perspective of an at-height worker, I still see ladders as being the least stable way of working in the air. 

Got into rigging for the pay bump, the challenge of overcoming a fear, and the adrenaline kick from the latter. That kick is so rare now... Maybe once a year if I'm lucky. Most addictions are hard to feed safely I suppose... 

Tower bulb changing is lucrative, usually only work had by knowing the right people thou. $100 per bulb in 1980 dollars is pretty good pay I'd say! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2023 12:13 am
Galo and Uncle Mush reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Whadda you mean "irrational"!? My fear is very rational 😆  When I was 5-6 y/o, my family went to Brown County State Park in Indiana, in 2 cars. We stopped at a fire tower, and they sent me(pre rational fear 😉 😉) to see if it was unlocked. I had no trouble going up, but on my arrival, the door was locked. Oh well, just go back down...right!!! I looked, and saw my life pass before my eyes. It took me 30-40mins to get my 2 feet back on solid Earth. Ever since then...

Yah, $100 was a lot 50 years ago...too bad he spent it on his girl friends...

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2023 2:26 pm
Uncle Mush and marsrock7 reacted
Page 7 / 7
Share: