Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2023 a new year of Spyder maintenance and enjoyment. What are your plans for maintenance this year.

Page 5 / 7
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Posted by: @galo

There is something about that "Start" button...it looks good! It'd be cool if the key didn't have to be inserted/turned. My '11 Beeemer has the button, but I have to insert and push the FOB to turn on the electrics, then push the button...so much work 😉 😉 

On the oil pan over filling; That's a real possibility. Sector gpan 3...interesting...looks just like my Moroso, hmmmmm 😮  Again, I hope his engine isn't wrecked!

It would be nice to go keyless but I would not trust myself to make a reliable system like that especially with dealing with the lock pin on the steering wheel. The one I made is reliable with quality relays and a rpm control board made by a company that specializes in nitrous applications where reliability is important so they used premium components. I sold over 300 start button kits back in the day and had to make them safe and a way to bypass it in case it failed. I gave each one a lifetime warranty and I did not have one come back to me for service. 
I know the key needs to be inserted but the soft touch start is satisfying than holding down the button.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 5, 2023 9:05 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

My wife's Honda's have required nothing with the key, except having it in the vehicle...that I like more, but I'm sure that's reasonably expensive to engineer and build. Besides, turning the key builds my wrist strength to help lift those pints 😉 😉 

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 6, 2023 2:31 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

My wife's Honda's have required nothing with the key, except having it in the vehicle...that I like more, but I'm sure that's reasonably expensive to engineer and build. Besides, turning the key builds my wrist strength to help lift those pints 😉 😉 

Most all new cars are like that now where you have the key on your person. It was initially introduced around 2006 with luxury cars as a premium option but on Lexus it was standard.  

My 12 year old Lexus has it and they did have an option for a credit card sized proximity key that I almost bought but they charge a lot for the programing. 

They do have cheap Chinese aftermarket kits that can do the same thing for our Spyders  but I would not trust the electronics.  If it fails or shuts off while driving it could be dangerous. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 6, 2023 4:50 pm
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

First test stitch of somethinf I'm working on. Thinking of throwing this onto a shirt.

20230509 000237
ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2023 12:03 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

On the oil pan over filling; That's a real possibility. Sector gpan 3...interesting...looks just like my Moroso, hmmmmm 😮  Again, I hope his engine isn't wrecked!

Good news. The car was diagnosed just now and I received a text. It would seem that the leak was coming from the oil pressure switch. 

I do think the overfilling of oil from last year was from the main seal because it was dumping lots of oil and I could see oil traces coming out of the transmission/engine space. This new leak might have been coincidental because it was leak free for over eight months after the oil was removed.  

We are going to celebrate with a drive. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 9, 2023 9:44 am
Galo and LordTakuban reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Posted by: @ria

First test stitch of somethinf I'm working on. Thinking of throwing this onto a shirt.

20230509 000237

That looks great!  How did you create that?

Also, Dev...

That's good news about the oil pressure switch.  That area isn't too difficult to get to.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2023 9:51 am
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Posted by: @lordtakuban

20230509 000237

That looks great!  How did you create that?

Also, Dev...

That's good news about the oil pressure switch.  That area isn't too difficult to get to.

I should have looked under his car to check. I might have found it but I assumed it was the same leak.  

This is where having a lift and plenty of good lighting is invaluable for this kind of diagnosis.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 9, 2023 9:57 am
LordTakuban reacted
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@lordtakuban thanks! My side business is running a small commercial embroidery service and a private label clothing brand. Though, Im kind of inactive since I'm back in school. 

For this piece, I used a picture of my car as a guide, and I did what is called "digitization". This is basically where you create a instruction set for a computer controlled embroidery machine. You have to program all the stitches, where the thread gets tied off and trimmed, the stitch densities, etc. I think with a little bit of cleaning up this one will be good to go.

I might offer these for sale, just need to do a little thinking on what I should put it on. Currently thinking shirts but there are a lot of possibilities. Patches might be cool too. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2023 10:18 am
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Posted by: @dev

Good news. The car was diagnosed just now and I received a text. It would seem that the leak was coming from the oil pressure switch. 

I do think the overfilling of oil from last year was from the main seal because it was dumping lots of oil and I could see oil traces coming out of the transmission/engine space. This new leak might have been coincidental because it was leak free for over eight months after the oil was removed.  

That is good news 👍 👍 

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2023 4:48 pm
dev reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

-- attachment is not available --

Why not stitch it on... 😉 😉 ...I couldn't resist! That is cool, and something I'd purchase!

Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2023 4:52 pm
RIA reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Currently thinking shirts but there are a lot of possibilities. Patches might be cool too. 

Would you consider "me" sending you a shirt-s and /or a jacket?

Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2023 4:58 pm
RIA reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Posted by: @dev

That is good news 👍 👍 

I couldn't be happier. This local owner has gone though a lot of heartache with this car and other things so he really needed some good news.  I am happy he will be able to enjoy the driving season. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 9, 2023 5:03 pm
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@galo A jacket would be difficult without disassembly. It would be an easier process as a patch, because then it could just be ironed.

As for shirts or whatever, I'm going to be posting a link to my website soon, and if you don't like the shirt option I have available we can go from there. I only have T-Shirts but Im sure people would like polos, so Im planning on looking into sourcing some good ones.

IMG 20230509 WA0001
ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2023 5:54 pm
LordTakuban and Galo reacted
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

I just realized I've been posting about this shirt in the car maintenance thread haha. My bad on that. I've got it live on my website now, though won't be in town to ship em out until Monday.

https://steinblokk.com/gear/midship-runabout-shirt/

What do you guys think is the best way to get the word out? I was thinking of starting a member classified thread on the other site, and maybe putting something in the facebook group. 

@dev any advice?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2023 9:42 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Thats what I would do. Start a member classified thread. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 11, 2023 1:03 pm
Page 5 / 7
Share: