Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Need Exhaust With More Character!

Page 2 / 4
(@chrioboy2)
Trusted Member

spintech

Don't buy a mass produced pinch welded muffler.

Magnaflow = Drone

This post was modified 5 years ago 2 times by chrioboy2
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2019 10:11 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

My Team Moon is VERY loud but doesn't drone. Doesn't have annoying frequencies. It's also 18 years old now. The new ones are quieter and more mellow. Everyone who has driven my car has loved it, the previous owner of my exhaust used his Spyder for commuting, and I took my Spyder from SF to LA and back no problem.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2019 10:27 pm
chrioboy2 reacted
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@haloruler64

Do you still have a 1ZZ?

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 19, 2019 10:35 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I do indeed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2019 10:37 pm
 p0on
(@p0on)

The Megan, I've read to be very very quiet.  I was actually looking for this and it was 5+ months backordered everywhere I checked. 🙁
Not what you're looking for anyways 😉

I settled on the HKS catback, and couldn't be happier.  At any rpm, cruising is nearly stock. At idle, it's dead quiet.  At any rpm, step on the throttle and throaty gurgling ensues.  Engine braking leads to just the right amount of subdued burble and pop.

I also have the Magnaflow direct replacement catalytic convertor, and gutted OEM header.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 15, 2019 4:48 am
(@dooderek)

LR headers, Borla Muffler Single exit No Cats.

If you want that throaty deep guttural sound you will want to keep your Cats. Also I have found header wrapping your entire exhaust does help reduce some high pitchy-ness and drone.

Unfortunately Im running a bigger than stock intake ID so the sound of the exhaust gets drowned out by the suc sadly.

This post was modified 5 years ago 2 times by dooderek
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 15, 2019 10:54 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Sometimes I want a louder exhaust, just a little louder, because I am invisible. Occasionally I like it for its own sake, within reason. IMO, the stock muffler is a little bit ricey, but the overall tone is nice. After all, these cars aren't Detroit iron.

What I never want is an exhaust writing a check that my engine cannot cash. I see people doing that with garbage like Focus, underpowered Civics, or Pontiac Sunfires, and its just sorta pathetic*. And the stock 1ZZ cannot cash many checks at all.

I would like some more burble and pop, even from my weenie little stock muffler. Upstream cat removal surgery draws nigh, how do I get The Burbles (and are they safe)?

*- The other day I pulled up behind a Fiero 2M6. This one wasn't a LolFiero, inasmuch as any Fiero can ever not be Lolzy. It had fat tires, perfect two-tone gray paint job and body, dual exhaust, and a deep rumble that weren't fakin' nuthin'.

I started getting cocky and telling The Frog that he would still win on the twistys, but I dunno: that guy had a bunch of money in that Fiero, and probably good suspension components, given everything else on the car. Made me happy to see a Fiero that wasn't pitiful. It's nice to see ANY car that gets love like that, but it takes real dedication to love a Fiero. TBH, I always liked the exterior styling of the later models, but not much else.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 15, 2019 2:36 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

The idea behind the exhaust is not just about being loud, its the character.  For our cars the sell  is having it sound like a European roadster and the Team Moon pulls this off well and sounds vintage.  Another reason you want to do an exhaust is take off a great deal of weight.  In my opinion after hearing many exhausts for the Spyder only the Team Moon stands out and is distinctly different than most exhaust that sound like a four cylinder Japanese compact.      

It doesn't  matter if the car is slow. Exhausts are different for different applications and with the Spyder it doesn't have to sound like it has more power. It actually sounds nostalgic for the 1ZZ. 

With the 2ZZ it sounds phenomenal like a high strung liter bike or old school Italian with cams. I get complements all the time and that is when you know you got it.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 15, 2019 3:29 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

x2 for the Team Moon. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 15, 2019 4:40 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

One more 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 15, 2019 4:42 pm
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

I am impressed how you guys talk about sound like wine experts about wine. Concerning wine I like it or not 😉  and I would not know how to describe the finer sound notes of the exhaust I have. It´s a generic Che clone header, decat downpipe and a straight through Arrow enduro motorbike no-muffler welded to OEM in/out stub, exit on the rhs. I´d call it.... LOUD!

Feathering the pedal I can drive it unobtrusively, so it réally is the loud pedal now. It burbles on tickover and produced the odd pop/bang on the overrun if I don´t properly lift the pedal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 23, 2020 1:45 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

I used to be able to get a great backfire going during shifts before I installed a cat. Now it is extremely rare.

On another note, I recently discovered that a significant amount of drone is cause by intake resonance. I built a ghetto ram air that utilizes a Corolla airbox and the drone was surprisingly reduced. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 23, 2020 2:41 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @petrus

I am impressed how you guys talk about sound like wine experts about wine. Concerning wine I like it or not 😉  and I would not know how to describe the finer sound notes of the exhaust I have. It´s a generic Che clone header, decat downpipe and a straight through Arrow enduro motorbike no-muffler welded to OEM in/out stub, exit on the rhs. I´d call it.... LOUD!

Feathering the pedal I can drive it unobtrusively, so it réally is the loud pedal now. It burbles on tickover and produced the odd pop/bang on the overrun if I don´t properly lift the pedal.

After you drive it a while it won’t be as loud.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 23, 2020 9:59 pm
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @cspidy

After you drive it a while it won’t be as loud.

All is relative and the sound relative ofcourse but have doen some 6k kms now with this exhaust and.... it is LOUD!  

Too loud. Objectively 🙃   It is that sofar, fingers crosses & touching wood, I have gotten away with it and like it. It also allows the 1ZZ to breath out freely, thus more in and it nééds all of the air it can get!

Over here there is a definitely different outlook on sporting cars/motorbikes and noise. I get daily appreciative responses on the car. For one it is a very noisy society and secondly there is simply way more space here. The láw is a different matter; that is European and the police officers are tax collectors with a gun. The Spanish traffic ministery has been wrapped on the fingers for that even from Brussels; that their max. speed enforcement is not about improving road safety but about generating State revenue... The additional bad is that the general outlook is léss common sense, less respect for traffic rules, which indirectly gets mé more appreciation for mý car.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 24, 2020 4:44 am
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

Our local municipalities do the same with regards to generating revenues through the traffic court.

as far as wide open space, try driving through Texas, Montana or even Kansas.

I can appreciate a loud car but from a distance anymore

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 24, 2020 9:18 pm
Page 2 / 4
Share: