Notifications
Clear all

Need Exhaust With More Character!

Page 3 / 4
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

My part of Maryland just has speed cameras but only at certain areas, its for revenue and its abused.  The good thing however is that active policing for speeding is non existent now so much so that I haven't seen any traps. If someone is speeding right in front of them or even passing them they don't care  as long as you are not doing anything reckless or obvious. Not like the old days where they would write you up for going five over after a long tail. 

All of the speed boy ricers are extinct or have turned into non binary don't compute people that are extremely slow drivers that get in everyones way and cant keep in their own lanes. The really nice rural  roads are trouble free and no traps. Occasionally a state trooper will wave and I had a few strike up a conversation because they are also car enthusiasts that like doing the same thing. 

If you are unfamiliar with my area and where the traps are thanks for your donation.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 24, 2020 10:46 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

I just drove from Atlanta to Los Angeles - started Saturday morning and got here Sunday night.

A little over 1200 miles each day.  I got to listen to my Magnaflow downpipe and HKS catback exhaust under a lot of different conditions.  Top up/down, rain, wind, snow, you name it.

I'm very happy with the sound,  and the car performed flawlessly. 

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2020 9:05 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

HKS sounds similar to the TM single but not as nasty. Its probably the only other exhaust I like apart from the Hayward & Scott that I have heard on some clips. The Che exhaust is the worst of the bunch as it sounds like a 1920s trombone. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2020 10:38 am
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @dev

that I have heard on some clips. 

I have three clips of the various states of opening up mine and nóne of the recordings sounds remotely like it does to the ear directly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2020 12:29 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @petrus
Posted by: @dev

that I have heard on some clips. 

I have three clips of the various states of opening up mine and nóne of the recordings sounds remotely like it does to the ear directly.

It depends on what you use to record. Some people use an old cell phone and it can sound bad and not represented of the sound. 

The clip I posted on the second page of this thread sounds exactly like it does in real life. I actually lost that file when I had a hard drive failure but it turns out some guy in France copied it and posted it else where. When I was mentioning that I lost the file he contacted me and gave it back.  That file has sold many Team Moon exhausts. There was also some files of the H&S that was done well enough to see that it also sounds good and has some of the character of the Team moon but deeper. 

Bottom line is if it sound bad on a clip it pretty much sound worse in real life from my experience hearing the real thing vs the clip. 

Some of the Mk2 guys I use to hangout with at Thursday meets had open exhausts that sounded terrible. What was worse was being behind them because they didn't have cats. 

The way you know your exhaust sounds good is when people cant help themselves and have to go out of their way to comment on how nice it sounds. The TM exhaust sounds like a car that has aggressive cams and a rabid dog like sound at lower rpms. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2020 2:11 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

This is what my exhaust sound like now but the tips are more upright and straight after I fixed them.  I have to get the car moving to free rev in neutral to engage lift otherwise the limiter kicks in early. 

When the car is in gear and moving fast the exhaust in high revs sounds phenomenal mixed in with the doppler effect.  This year I plan to capture that. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2020 2:57 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

The ZZ series engines paired with a Team Moon sound decent free revving but the magic is under load.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2020 3:48 pm
dev reacted
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

I have the choice between a several gens old mobile and an even older GoPro 🙂

The recordings sound way flatter and sharper than perceived by the ear directly.

The long stroke of the 1ZZ makes for an imo relatively pleasant sound.

The doppler effect* is on the same agenda as a new in/on car recording. Trying to have a go asap.

* only makes sense with proper speed so need a fair bit of straitish road where I can put/tape the phone to something. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2020 3:52 pm
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

Don´t know if it worked, but there should be an mp3 file of the previous exhaust attached.

The current one is freer revving, louder yet a toúch less sharp; more sexy still but no longer molesting say the gfs. Will add the next recording here next to this one so we can hear the differences.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2020 3:59 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I prefer to have the mic at the viewers perspective not on the car as that is generally not representative.

This way I know what the observer heres and that is the most important thing for me. When someone drives my car and im the observer  Im like crap that sounds great.   

There was a guy that used professional mics on rack right next to the tail pipes  on a dyno to recored the Carsons tuned exhaust which was a complete waste. Great implementation of using high end gear but the exhaust is not a singer in a glass booth. The exhaust needs to breath and reflect off other objects mixed in with a distant echo.   

The kind of point and shoot digital camera I used back in the day which is now over 20 years old used floppy disks and  did ok for shooting that the earlier clip when I had my Team moon when I was 1ZZ. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2020 4:37 pm
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

@dev

Next time will record again from the car alas; same set up to have a comparison! and then the ´doppler´recording with the phone strapped to a mile marker 😎 

And about importance, well for me it is the most important how it sounds to mé 😇 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2020 4:47 pm
dev reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Shure released a USB-C mic for smartphones and I desperately want it! Would be lovely for stuff like this. Smartphone video is amazing but mics are still a weak point.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2020 4:50 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @petrus

@dev

Next time will record again from the car alas; same set up to have a comparison! and then the ´doppler´recording with the phone strapped to a mile marker 😎 

And about importance, well for me it is the most important how it sounds to mé 😇 

Just have someone shoot it while you drive your car away from them. Then circle back and pass them.  When you come back to the observer do some free revs and that should be more than enough to judge.   

Next load the video to Youtube and link it here.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2020 4:51 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

@haloruler64

I haven't used video on a cell phone except for once and that was to show Vertical Scope that their advertising banners were outputting audio. I only have a flat mic for my phone for audio tuning but I imagine it sounds just as bad as the internal mic. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2020 5:00 pm
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

@dev

I will ask a gf to record on the industrial estate. 

I also want the proper doppler effect. That has max effect at the highest speed ofcourse; towards and away; sound difference the speed difference between coming and going waves. Will probaly draft the same gf to stand somewhere next to the highway 😜 

Will still do a comparative recording.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 25, 2020 5:02 pm
Page 3 / 4
Share: