Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Top Strap

(@bimmer-bob)
Eminent Member

I finally got my car today! One of the first things I did was test out the top, and I was disappointed to see ears on both sides ☹️. Closer inspection revealed that the top strap was actually In place, but only snapped on one side. So I fed it through the little tube to the other side, and went around the roof support (basically copied the strap routing from the good side). It definitely looks improved but the ears don’t tuck as neatly as I expected. Does this look normal?

D554D537 8FBF 42E1 BACB 500DD4B6156F
E18D69EA 9405 4109 8B3D 6277FC26C746
3A3967BF BBBE 4345 BF0E C56CFAE97D2E
Topic starter Posted : June 15, 2020 7:28 pm
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

I think it's best if you don't use the strap at all . Either leave the ears or tuck them in straight by hand which is what I do . The strap actually causes premature wear and we all don't want that . 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 15, 2020 8:13 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I hear that the strap is bad for cloth. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 15, 2020 8:35 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

It only really tucks easily and well if the top is really warm/hot and pliable.  It does help keep things tucked, and based on where my top is having issues, it was not the source of premature cracking or tears for me.

You will still need to sort of hand-assist tucking the corners when you put the top down if you want it to really look nice.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 16, 2020 8:50 am
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

I leave my ears out as mini spoilers...

😆

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 16, 2020 2:43 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

You have ears, don't you? The car just wants to be like you!

Seriously...don't sweat the ears.

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 16, 2020 3:44 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

When your Spyder's ears bother you.... Just think back about how some older convertibles were....

1960 volkswagen beetle

And be grateful 😛

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 16, 2020 6:41 pm
neomr2 reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

The first whale tail spoiler ??    😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 16, 2020 8:24 pm
marsrock7 reacted
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

Yeah, no strap here.  I hand tuck them unless I'm doing the one-handed, put-it-down-while-going-10mph trick.

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 16, 2020 10:34 pm
marsrock7 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @pwnzor

Yeah, no strap here.  I hand tuck them unless I'm doing the one-handed, put-it-down-while-going-10mph trick.

I've never been brave enough to try it from a roll. In my head it's just complete carnage. Interesting to know it can be done, within reason.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2020 12:25 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

You can drop the top up to about 45mph.  At higher speeds the wind pushes the glass backwards and won’t let it fold into the tray.   However, i raise the top at speeds up to 70mph.   You can go a little higher but you need to be tucked in behind a tractor trailer to reduce the wind pressure.  Just keep a firm grip on the handle as you snatch it forward.  

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2020 8:57 am
pwnzor reacted
Share: