Clear all

Accelerated Maintanence and using the MR2 as a work vehicle

Page 1 / 2
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

Hey Guys,

I've been utilizing my MR2 to make food deliveries recently (grubhub, door dash, etc). I live in an urban area that quickly falls off into rural. It's been a blast putting in extra cruising time and making extra cash doing it. 

Of course, I've also had to take many sanitary precautions to minimize chances of contracting this virus. But, still, its been a good time. The spyder is paying itself off lol.

Here is my concern:

I drive in 4 hour increments, 5 days a week. Lot of stop and go mixed with rural back roads. Mix of pushing the car and driving relaxed. Decent amount of time idling. Any accelerated maintenance I should be thinking about? Right now i'm just thinking of shortening my oil change interval and maybe brake fluid interval. 

Topic starter Posted : June 22, 2020 12:22 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

OMG another person doing food delivery in an MR2! I bought mine over 6 years ago specifically for food delivery (used to work for Caviar). It was tiny enough to fit everywhere in San Francisco and was easy on the gas. 

I would change oil every 5k instead of 7k, but that's pretty much it. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 22, 2020 4:11 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

As long as you are using quality synthetic oil I wouldn’t worry about it. You will just have to keep up with mileage related stuff like the rest of us.  Make sure your front and rear motor mounts are not worn as that leads to the flex section going out. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 22, 2020 6:33 am
(@forminfunction)
Eminent Member

Daily driving in NYC is probably more wear & tear than your delivery job. Not really any change to routine maintenance IMO

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 22, 2020 10:10 am
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@haloruler64

Fits anywhere for sure! Parallel parking? Super easy. Alleyway? Super easy. 3 point turn on super narrow rural road? Super easy. Just need to watch out because we have some potholes that could land lock the MR2 around here. I keep a wood block just in case I need a boost under the tire though lol.

Cool to hear im not the first one doing deliveries in this thing. People always look twice when they see the grubhub bag in the car hahaha.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 22, 2020 1:19 pm
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

@dev

Def a high priority to check cus ive busted 2 in the year and a half ive owned the mr2. One time was cus a tow driver bottomed it out though.......

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 22, 2020 1:21 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

It was a good time! 

2015 01 30 12.41.10

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 22, 2020 1:54 pm
RIA reacted
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

@ria

Taking out the passenger's seat gives you a lot of extra space and you can fit longer items (front to back) if you remove the cubbie as well.

We have a Nissan NV work van, but if I only need to carry large flat rate boxes it's nice to use the MR2.

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2020 12:18 am
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

I actually find it hilarious that anybody would buy an MR2 specifically for deliveries... I'm not hating on it, just think it's funny.

That being said, I'm in the fast freight business.  I have taken the odd package for a 400 mile run where I don't feel like driving the land barge.

IMG 20200530 182252243 HDR

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2020 8:31 am
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @pwnzor

I actually find it hilarious that anybody would buy an MR2 specifically for deliveries... I'm not hating on it, just think it's funny.

In a big city it's perfect type of car when there isn't a lot of parking.  That's all there is to it.

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2020 5:22 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @scotched
Posted by: @pwnzor

In a big city it's perfect type of car when there isn't a lot of parking.  That's all there is to it.

What I mean is there is very little space for carrying stuff!  There's no doubt it's a compact car.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2020 9:22 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Rip out the passenger seat and you can easily fit $800 worth of food in there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2020 10:08 pm
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member
IMG 20200624 210316557

@haloruler64

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 24, 2020 11:17 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member
2015 01 30 12.41.10

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2020 11:48 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

I take the seat out when the princess rides with me.  I put down a couple layers of carpet for some extra cushion, and she loves it.

IMG 20200620 110640400 HDR

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 25, 2020 10:34 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: