Notifications
Clear all

Checklist before getting a tune?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS
nocoolname
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

A close gap might not make an adequate spark to light off the mix.  Too wide of a gap might get let the spark get "blown out" before really igniting the mix.  That's usually the concern when running high boost and wanting to close up the gap.

I check the gap on plugs before installing even if they're supposed to be at the right gap out of the box.  I use feeler gauges to check gap.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 14, 2020 11:31 pm
scotched
(@scotched)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @nocoolname

A close gap might not make an adequate spark to light off the mix.  Too wide of a gap might get let the spark get "blown out" before really igniting the mix.  That's usually the concern when running high boost and wanting to close up the gap.

I check the gap on plugs before installing even if they're supposed to be at the right gap out of the box.  I use feeler gauges to check gap.

What gap size are your plugs then?  Did you buy NGK BKR6E or NGK BKR6E-11?

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 15, 2020 3:06 pm
nocoolname
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

.043 is what I gap mine to.  It's stock ecu, intake and exhaust.  I probably have just the 6E plugs as I don't have the 11 suffix in my notes as I don't remember the last time when I bought plugs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 15, 2020 7:21 pm
dblotii
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@scotched Too large a gap and you will have misfire at the highest loads (lookup Paschen's law).  Dual Fine wire allows a larger gap based on this.  Too small and you will have poorer cold-start and more misfires whenever the fuel/air mixture is marginal due to internal EGR (like at idle with a lot of valve overlap as you might have with hot cams)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 16, 2020 11:55 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: