Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Checklist before getting a tune?

Page 1 / 2
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

So I picked up a used PFC for the 2zz with a map already installed.  I spent yesterday getting my idle normal and testing it at different speeds.  Very fun stuff.  Best thing I've bought for this car in a while.

I plan on getting a tune, but I was considering what parts I should be checking/replacing before I take it into the shop. 

scottsmods.com

Topic starter Posted : June 5, 2020 4:03 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I would get a new MAF sensor if the one you have is old. Maybe change the spark plugs if they are near the end of their life. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2020 4:19 pm
marsrock7 and scotched reacted
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

Since this isn't a first tune on a fresh car, it's a short list really.  Most downtime for tuning is fixing stuff that either wasn't done correctly, or at all prior to the car getting to the tuner.  Since your car is running and driving, that's really not the case.  I would do a good general inspection, checking and topping off fluids, make sure there aren't any leaks, check the rear tires for condition and pressure if not going on a hub dyno.  Put in some fresh spark plugs and leave an extra new set in the car for the tuner.

The best thing to do though is talk to the tuner beforehand, most have a checklist already they will send to customers to make sure their part goes smoothly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2020 4:56 pm
scotched reacted
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

@dev 

MAF was already on the list.  The part number I have is (22204-22010).  The prices for it seem to vary wildly.  Conicelli wants over $100 for it.  Amazon wants $62.  Both are genuine Toyota. [EDIT: I see them on eBay for $20?)

I'm not very Keen on plugs.  What's everyone running in their 2zz's these days?

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 5, 2020 4:59 pm
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

I run NGK BKR6E copper plugs and change them every few oil changes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2020 6:23 pm
marsrock7 reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Avoid eBay/Amazon for Denso parts. Lots of fakes.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2020 3:26 am
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@nocoolname Readup on dual fine-wire spark plugs and you will understand why they are the best for a modern engine.  it is not just the durability of Iridium (or similar) electrode plugs, but the better flame kernel development and lower voltage requirments that are worthwhile.

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2020 10:36 am
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @haloruler64

Avoid eBay/Amazon for Denso parts. Lots of fakes.

Given that the MAF is easy to replace - I wonder if it might still be worth it to test these out.

I can understand the $20 MAF being suspect, but what what about the 1/2 price version on Amazon.  I've never been burned by Amazon.

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 6, 2020 12:29 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I bought the Amazon MAF without issue.  I could clearly tell the difference with the Denso non Denso fakes. The Denso will have a rough plastic finish.   

I compared it to the old one and it was spot on.  I have seen some of the fakes and their are way off.  The plastic is cheap but polished and the written letters are clearly evident something is off.  Another way to tell is to weigh your old and new MAF on a small scale. The fake Chinese operations are not detailed or will not go though the trouble and expense to make a good fake.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2020 12:40 pm
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @dev

I bought the Amazon MAF without issue.  I could clearly tell the difference with the Denso non Denso fakes. The Denso will have a rough plastic finish.   

I compared it to the old one and it was spot on.  I have seen some of the fakes and their are way off.  The plastic is cheap but polished and the written letters are clearly evident something is off.  Another way to tell is to weigh your old and new MAF on a small scale. The fake Chinese operations are not detailed or will go though the trouble and expense to make a good fake. 

Tell you guys what, I'll buy both the eBay and the Amazon and compare them with my OEM.

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 6, 2020 1:08 pm
dev and marsrock7 reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @scotched
Posted by: @dev

I compared it to the old one and it was spot on.  I have seen some of the fakes and their are way off.  The plastic is cheap but polished and the written letters are clearly evident something is off.  Another way to tell is to weigh your old and new MAF on a small scale. The fake Chinese operations are not detailed or will go though the trouble and expense to make a good fake. 

Tell you guys what, I'll buy both the eBay and the Amazon and compare them with my OEM.

When you claim fake on EBay they will let you keep it with an apology. Thats how you know for sure. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2020 3:24 pm
marsrock7 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

They fully refund you, let you keep the item AND with an apology... 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2020 5:31 pm
dev reacted
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @nocoolname

I run NGK BKR6E copper plugs and change them every few oil changes.

I got 3 sets of BKR6E delivered today.

What gap size are we aiming for with these?  Comments say they come (.030) and (.035).  NGK doesn't even list these on their website.

2zz gap is different than stock 1zz gap right?

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 7, 2020 10:21 pm
(@forminfunction)
Eminent Member

2zz iridium plugs should be gapped to .044. It's been so long that I don't remember the correct 1zz gap offhand.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 10, 2020 9:05 pm
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @forminfunction

2zz iridium plugs should be gapped to .044. It's been so long that I don't remember the correct 1zz gap offhand.

The NGK BKRE6 come pre-gapped around (.035"), the manual says (.039" - .043").  So I gapped them to ~.043", and it took me longer than it should have.

Maybe I should have just bought the BKRE6-11, which already come gapped to .043"?

I also wondered what would happen if I ran them at .035".

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 11, 2020 2:22 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: