Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Apexi PFC Tuning

Page 1 / 2
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

I'm making a series of videos based around Co-Pilot and tuning the PFC. The first video is based solely around getting it setup for data acquisition. Video two will be focused on setup for AutoTuning fueling based on the AFR map, and lastly i'll be doing Ignition timing. If I decide to go for a fourth video, it'll be about the more advanced settings and configurations, but that's TBD. For now, here's the first.

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

Topic starter Posted : January 9, 2021 3:30 am
marsrock7 reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Thank you for this/these, Patrick! Many years ago, Tbone and I met up with blackcreek in Batesville IN. He was going to tell me how to "use" co-pilot. He started with  "don't say a word, just listen(somewhat paraphrased)(God love ya, Jim 😀 )"... 🤨 😀 😳 

I look forward to watching these!

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2021 2:56 am
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

Video 2 of the series. I talk about autotuning fuel. The funny thing is, while I'm doing this series, I'm not even extensively tuning my car. 😆 This is all exercise and practice for when I throw the turbo on the car and have to tune it for that. 

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 17, 2021 12:44 pm
marsrock7 reacted
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

Third video that goes over ignition timing auto tuning.

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 28, 2021 12:03 pm
marsrock7 reacted
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

Hey Patrick - thanks for these videos.  Not a lot of people doing these.  When I have some real time I will sit down and take some notes.  I wanted to avoid having to learn how to tune this car myself but I see why I have to.

I just got back from a tuning session today (spent $600) and it made me realize just how much work goes into tuning a car.  I was talking to some people there that had some serious power (Turbo Fox Body, Skyline), and it was their 3rd or 4th tune!

They got rid of the knock and turned down some of the timing.  I had to give up my 5500rpm lift because of a serious dip in torque.

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2021 8:45 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

This is a great idea.  I remember it took me a while to get used to what I was supposed to do with it.  It took a few calls with Kevin to get me on the right path.  The hardest part about the whole process is coming up with your target maps.  I'll be sure to check out your videos to see if there is something I haven't been using.  Then again, it will still be along time before my car is running again.  hahaha

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 18, 2021 12:10 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

I looked at the 1st one...very nice! Now to get the w/b installed...

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 15, 2022 6:26 pm
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

Now that you've had it for a while, what is your opinion on that "Wite" module that you got for the PFC?

Is it worth getting into if I want to get into street tuning the car?

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 24, 2022 5:13 pm
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

@scotched in my opinion, it’s the only interface I’d get at this point. The technology used in it is so far beyond what any of the others can do. With the inputs it offers, the usb interface using newer drivers that are compatible with windows 10/11, and Bluetooth/Wi-Fi to connect to a phone or tablet, it’s honestly a no brained for me. Even if you don’t use the Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, the input options and usb interface are just better and more reliable that my fc-hako. 

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 25, 2022 9:51 pm
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

Which PFC tuning software would you recommend for that combo (Win11, Wite, USB2).  Also have you been using the dash output with win11/android?  I'm guessing that is only available over bluetooth?

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 26, 2022 12:11 am
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

I still have my old Laptop running windows XP that I'll be using to get my car up and running once things are back in place.  I'm not familiar with the "Wite" that was mentioned.  I'm using some super old Serial to USB converters and old cables.  It's super early 2000's when it's go-time for me.  It would be nice to have some more modern connectivity.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 28, 2022 9:31 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member
20230529 001903~5

Hello...what numbers do I enter...

"Current VVTL-i Settings",  "Lift Off (Low)" and

"Lift On (High)"?

and

"Alternate VVTL-i Settings",

"Low Throttle Percent Settings" ...

"Lift Off (Low) and "Lift On (High)"

and

"High Throttle Percent Settings",

"Lift Off (Low)", Lift On (High)"?

I DID finally STUDY the videos...pausing and re-reviewing...and learned the "copy and paste" tidbits for afr. Do the same "instructions" apply to "Ign Timing"?

FC-EDIT note...it won't connect with the displayed COMM PORT(found in "DevicecManager")... any suggestions( IF I end up using/needing to use it)?

I'm very close to dumping the PFC and going with a  standalone MFster suggests. A local tuner(who will probably be tuning for me) "encourages" AEM "stuff"...this is IF I keep my Spyder. I'm considering buying another car, possibly a Spyder, possibly something else(way more car, tho leery of the potential/likely repairs...hey, I bought a BMW, didn't I?)...😜 😲 🤯 

Thanking you in advance!

Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 29, 2023 1:05 am
Patrick Lipp reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

@galo 

I never tuned a 2ZZ on the PFC, but even with the 1ZZ, I left the vvti maps alone and went with whatever the MWR tune had on it (Or whichever one that was being passed around at the time).  I'm sure someone out there knows about those settings.  Kevin Beane might remember.  But I think that was ages ago for him by now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2023 9:52 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Cool. I really don't want "values suggestions"(I should've worded that better 🤔), just what do those areas mean..."Lift off (low)", "Lift On (high)". Why not just "Lift On (rpm)!? It seems, to my very uninformed knowledge, these should be easier to understand. Maybe another platform is the way to go. Since I've dropped my interest in a different Spyder/2AR swap, I may be pursuing a pre-owned, very upscale 2 seater...and cross my fingers it doesn't puke on me. OR, I'll do a more modern ECU sys, suspension upgrades and c-f frunk & engine hoods.

Decisions, decisions...

Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 31, 2023 12:54 pm
LordTakuban reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

I've felt that it hasn't been very intuitive as well.  And there is definitely a learning curve to it.  But these are all very minimalistic tools with only a few creature comforts.  That said, once you get more into it and things start making sense, I do like it's simplicity.  It also writes ALL of the maps within miliseconds.  If I didn't already have all of this stuff from before, I might have went a different route.  But I guess my stuff fits within my "period build" for the car.  With the exception of the radio anyway.  hahaha.

Anyway, good luck with your project, Mark.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2023 2:06 pm
Galo reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: