Apexi PFC Boost Con...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Apexi PFC Boost Control

(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

Ok, the title is a bit misleading... i'm prepping the final few things for my turbo build, doing my research and getting re-acquainted with the copilot/FCEdit software. I've been intrigued about the boost control, so in my reading I came across some interesting and intriguing things related to the boost control kit. 

It seams as though, while the boost control kit isn't officially, or fully supported by the zzw30/1zz PFC, in that it won't control boost, there have been multiple reports, including from MWR and A'PEXi themselves that it will in fact read boost. This got me thinking and continuing my research... I don't need boost control as i'll be using an internal wastegate that's got a spring at 6.5psi. Similarly, I don't really want to run a cable back from a boost gauge all the way to the ecu location for logging... so out of curiosity, I was tempted to purchase the boost control kit...I didn't, but I did something else.

After more research, I have made a few assumptions. First off, the 5 wire connection, is split into two groups. This is based off of the APEXi (49C-A003) solenoid/boost control cable, as well as multiple others. The Boost control solenoid is a two wire sensor; Similarly, the three additional wires are dedicated to the pressure/map sensor.

In all of the photos of the ZZW30/1zz-FET(Turbo) boost control kit, it only shows the solenoid for controlling the boost, but does not show the map sensor for reading the pressure/boost. Similarly, in the photos, and everywhere else I searched, it never showed the 5 pin cable to plug into the PFC. Continuing down the rabbit hole, I came across one of the 5 pin replacement cables(49C-A003). Sure enough, it included plugs for both the pressure/map sensor, as well as the boost control solenoid. 

Alternatively, I found the MAP sensor cable for the D-Jetro PFC units, and found that it uses the same cable, just missing the Boost control solenoid. Now, remembering I don't need boost control, only the ability to watch/log boost, I went ahead and bought one of the 5 pin cables with only the connection for the MAP/Boost sensor. I then went ahead and purchased the accompanying MAP/pressure sensor.. well, a knockoff one for testing, at this point. 

I'm expecting it to be in within the next week. will keep this thread posted with any findings. figured i'd share. I know LT was a big part of the discussions between CAP and and a few others years back, so thought he may be interested with the findings, if he hasn't tested himself already. 

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

Topic starter Posted : January 12, 2021 12:55 am
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

Alternative use of this, other than just logging boost pressure could be over boost warning and fuel cut if/when a boost threshold is reached. This is continuing to intrigue me with the potential uses of just being able to read boost pressure.
]I guess it's potentially one of the few safeguards built into the pfc? 

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 12, 2021 6:43 pm
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

Update - can confirm you can monitor boost levels via pressure sensor with standard 1zz-fe pfc. No modifications necessary. Not to look into 

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 15, 2021 5:26 pm
Share: