Any interest in 3rd...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Any interest in 3rd Brake Light Overlays?

Page 2 / 2
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @cyclehead
Posted by: @dev
Posted by: @nottamiata

Checked my calendar. Nope, it is not April 1.

I don't understand...

I use to sell a third brake light visor long time ago. I may have sold roughly 700 of them at one time which was sold world wide. 

The picture I posted is from the new Boxster which I captured from the auto show earlier this year.  In the past Boxster they had the third brake light integrated into the body of the car which looked discrete but with the new one they went with a light that has a brake light visor that looks almost exactly like what I was selling except for the forward lip on the front.  

I still have mine but I gave up a good copy to a friend on SC and now using a factory damaged one.   Later on when I ran out of visors I let someone else take over and she made some for a time in the Philippines until she went missing.  

I wish someone would make them again as I could use a new one.  This is one of those mods that really transforms the look of the Spyder from being cheap to something more refined.  

I made a mold from one I purchased - Philippines maybe?  I made one or two more using my homemade mold, then passed on the mold to a guy on spyderchat that SAID he was going to make them.  I never heard another word!#@%

You have to be careful who you get to take over your projects. There are a lot of dead beats that will claim to support the community and then realize it’s too much work or time and instead of just coming to terms with it they just leave or stop communication with you. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2019 9:28 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @okspyder

I would be up for splashing a mold and making some of these as it sounds like there is interest.  I could make some corrections for it to fit better if needed.

If UM or Dev would be willing to send me theirs I could make a mold off it pretty quick and get it returned.  I would do any corrections from parts I made off the mold and then make a new mold once we like the fitment. 

May take me a couple months with my schedule, but I would like to see these available again.

Let me know if you guys are interested.

I don’t have a mold as I had it replicated elsewhere and they refused to give me the mold they made that I paid for otherwise I would donate it to you.

I think we should give UM a try first since he offered first as there is a possibility of making them in plastic. 

I think what is needed is a new one made from scratch. The original was designed by a guy named little bastard who absconded with members money. I was lucky to receive his prototype because he wanted me to give him notes on how it fit.  If I had the means I would have made corrections which I did to some extent before sending it to someone who sent it to his brother in a foreign country for replication.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2019 9:37 am
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin
Posted by: @okspyder

LT, I just realize what this thread started as...I apologize.

haha.  That's quite alright.  I'm glad that it's got the wheels turning on some other improvement for our cars.  I was just trying to see if there was interest in something similar to what I posted that would be easily done in vinyl.  The plastic visor idea sounds good.

UM,
I would go with the higher heat resistance plastic.  ABS is good for interior parts.  But that would get pretty hot sitting in the sun.  However, the chance of it warping are pretty slim, I would imaging.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 21, 2019 12:40 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

For those who are interested in a possible new option for Third Brake Light Visors, I have created a few prototypes and a new thread specific to those prototypes here:

https://www.mr2-spyder.com/community/apearance-modifications/3rd-brake-light-visor-prototype-by-uncle-mush/

Thank you, LT for allowing this threadjack.  Perhaps this thread can now return to those interested in special decals to customize the third brake light lens of their spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2019 5:45 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin
Posted by: @uncle-mush

For those who are interested in a possible new option for Third Brake Light Visors, I have created a few prototypes and a new thread specific to those prototypes here:

https://www.mr2-spyder.com/community/apearance-modifications/3rd-brake-light-visor-prototype-by-uncle-mush/

Thank you, LT for allowing this threadjack.  Perhaps this thread can now return to those interested in special decals to customize the third brake light lens of their spyder.

Nicely done, UM!  Don't feel bad at all about the thread jack.  At least a good product idea came out of it.  That was my goal.  I'm trying to think of some new things to do with my vinyl stock.  I'll come up with something eventually.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 22, 2019 8:27 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: