Any interest in 3rd...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Any interest in 3rd Brake Light Overlays?

Page 1 / 2
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

So, I was perusing the eBays, looking for MR2 Spyder parts as one does and came across this:

s l500

I had a few questions...

1. Is this seller someone on here?  If so, I don't want to step on anyone's toes.
2. Are people interested in these?  They seem a bit dangerous to me.
3. Are there any other designs that you guys would want or maybe those eye lids or something similar?

This got me thinking about a post on Facebook or maybe on here where someone was looking into painting their TBL after getting a TRD style rear spoiler and did not have the TBL Delete part.  I could come up with a piece that could accomplish that delete in removable vinyl.  However, I don't know how close it would match.  Anyway, just looking for thoughts since I have the ability and tons of vinyl.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

Topic starter Posted : September 18, 2019 8:50 am
WilcoMR-S reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Hi LT

FWIW . . . I do not make these. 

It is not something that I would be interested in for my spyder.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2019 10:04 am
WilcoMR-S reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

You want to see something hilarious.  

Check out this third brake light visor.  

IMG 0088
IMG 0087
ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2019 10:33 am
WilcoMR-S reacted
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Checked my calendar. Nope, it is not April 1.

I don't understand...

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2019 9:48 pm
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I have a fiberglass third brake light cover installed on my black spyder.   I like it.   It avoids the sun faded look of the top of the red plastic.   I saw some offered by somebody in UK but the quality looked bad - the profile of the cover didn’t match well.  The corner radii weren’t right.   I’d buy one if I could get it finished in yellow, and if it was nicely made.

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 19, 2019 5:53 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @nottamiata

I don't understand...

I use to sell a third brake light visor long time ago. I may have sold roughly 700 of them at one time which was sold world wide. 

The picture I posted is from the new Boxster which I captured from the auto show earlier this year.  In the past Boxster they had the third brake light integrated into the body of the car which looked discrete but with the new one they went with a light that has a brake light visor that looks almost exactly like what I was selling except for the forward lip on the front.  

I still have mine but I gave up a good copy to a friend on SC and now using a factory damaged one.   Later on when I ran out of visors I let someone else take over and she made some for a time in the Philippines until she went missing.  

I wish someone would make them again as I could use a new one.  This is one of those mods that really transforms the look of the Spyder from being cheap to something more refined.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 19, 2019 10:33 am
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I'm wondering if there is still much of a market for third brake light covers.  What if I were to vacu-form them in HDPE and then prep and prime them as the finished product.   The buyer would have to color coat the product themselves. 

Thoughts?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 19, 2019 1:33 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@uncle-mush

I want two! Really!

This post was modified 5 years ago by DesertWanderer

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 19, 2019 1:41 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @uncle-mush

I'm wondering if there is still much of a market for third brake light covers.  What if I were to vacu-form them in HDPE and then prep and prime them as the finished product.   The buyer would have to color coat the product themselves. 

Thoughts?

I would be interested.  Plastic would be better than fiberglass. Fiberglass was a nightmare to fix when I received ones that were not upto quality.  It doesn't need to be too thick.  

The visor on the new Porsche looks dimensionally the same as the one that I sold and I did take measurements but lost them unfortunately.   If it can be purchased from Porsche it might be a better option.  I wonder if we can get Nelix to measure his.  

It is possible that there is a universal minimum size for the third brake light 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 19, 2019 2:15 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

haha.  that's funny about the boxter, Dev!

I'll see what I can come up with as far as something that looks interesting and isn't too incredibly dangerous to use on the road.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 19, 2019 3:48 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I've got a third brake light cover that is fiberglass.  I can't remember who I got it from.   Fitment is okay . . . Not spot-on, though.  I might be able to use it as a buck.  I wonder if I could abandon the moulding process altogether.   Because HDPE has the ability to flex (even with primed surface), it might be possible to make it flat and then adhere with 3M tape.  I seem to recall the only curve is from left to right with no other compound curves.  The fiberglass version I have has compound curves,  but I don't think those are integral to the performance.  I think that may have been a result of the fabrication process . . .or perhaps to accommodate the 3M adhesive so it wouldn't show. 

. . . Just a thought.   If I can find some time to play in the shop this weekend,  I'll see what I can figure out.   I'll keep you posted. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 19, 2019 3:50 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

If I make it out of ABS it can stand temperature of 158F whereas, HDPE can stand temperature of 178F.

ABS is generally more rigid than HDPE. 

Anyone have any thoughts about which material to use? I like the idea of ABS, but it gets pretty hot on the rear engine deck lid.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 19, 2019 11:15 pm
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @dev
Posted by: @nottamiata

I don't understand...

I use to sell a third brake light visor long time ago. I may have sold roughly 700 of them at one time which was sold world wide. 

The picture I posted is from the new Boxster which I captured from the auto show earlier this year.  In the past Boxster they had the third brake light integrated into the body of the car which looked discrete but with the new one they went with a light that has a brake light visor that looks almost exactly like what I was selling except for the forward lip on the front.  

I still have mine but I gave up a good copy to a friend on SC and now using a factory damaged one.   Later on when I ran out of visors I let someone else take over and she made some for a time in the Philippines until she went missing.  

I wish someone would make them again as I could use a new one.  This is one of those mods that really transforms the look of the Spyder from being cheap to something more refined.  

I made a mold from one I purchased - Philippines maybe?  I made one or two more using my homemade mold, then passed on the mold to a guy on spyderchat that SAID he was going to make them.  I never heard another word!#@%

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2019 6:35 am
OKSpyder
(@okspyder)

I would be up for splashing a mold and making some of these as it sounds like there is interest.  I could make some corrections for it to fit better if needed.

If UM or Dev would be willing to send me theirs I could make a mold off it pretty quick and get it returned.  I would do any corrections from parts I made off the mold and then make a new mold once we like the fitment. 

May take me a couple months with my schedule, but I would like to see these available again.

Let me know if you guys are interested.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2019 6:39 am
OKSpyder
(@okspyder)

LT, I just realize what this thread started as...I apologize.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2019 6:57 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: