Share:
Notifications
Clear all

spare tire questions

Page 1 / 2
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

Who still carries a spare tire? If not, is it for extra storage or to save weight? 

And for those of you with 16's or 17"s in the front, what is your spare - if you have one?

Topic starter Posted : July 15, 2020 6:51 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

I don't have one due to my tire size, but if I could fit a similarly sized spare in the cubby, I probably would.

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 15, 2020 6:54 pm
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

I wonder what the biggest size tire is that will fit in the frunk?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 15, 2020 6:57 pm
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

I wonder if you could pull the front plastics/ frunk and still mount the spare solidly. If so, we could have some huuuuuuge spares haha

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 15, 2020 10:49 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @ria

I wonder if you could pull the front plastics/ frunk and still mount the spare solidly. If so, we could have some huuuuuuge spares haha

If you are creative...   Here is an old picture of my Frunk with no plastics.

WP 20190717 10 47 52 Pro

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2020 6:32 am
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I'm sorry I can't help answer this question today.  I'm out if town and so cannot go out to the garage and check the size for you.  Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to recall that pre-facelift spyders did not have a full size spare.  I know my spyder's spare is full size,  I just don't remember if it is the rear tire size or front tire size.  I recall some owners identifying the importance of running with the spare in place for weight balance, and some espousing the importance of running with the spare in place for safety in a front-end collision,  while other's identified running with no spare for years with no noticeable difference.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2020 11:35 am
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

The spare in '03+'s is 185/55-15, the size of any year OEM front tire(same diameter as 205/50-15, pre-'03 rear...yes it is). There is some wiggle room.

My Spyder has/had a spare, but it was/is airless(flat?), so, to make it easier to see the front jack point, I removed the plastic.

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 16, 2020 3:17 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

I run 17's and still carry the stock spare.  

I wouldn't feel unsafe using it, but I definitely would slow-roll it to the absolute nearest tire shop.  If they don't have the right size tire, it will stay there until it arrives by courier.

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2020 9:02 am
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

If one of my tires went flat while I was out and about, I'd call my insurance company. My policy has a rider(no pun intended) covering road problems. As I stated, my spare is airless, and has been from the day I bought the car. I've never put air in it. The car didn't(and still doesn't) have a jack either.

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2020 5:12 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

@galo I'm confused as to why you would continue to carry a spare with no air in it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2020 9:35 am
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

I have neither a spare nor plastic in the fronk(and haven't since I discovered the spare was airless, just after buying the car over 5 years ago). I didn't think I had to explain there is no spare if the plastic is removed...I guess I should have given more info.

Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2020 10:46 am
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

Ah, I missed the detail about the plastic being removed... but there it is.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 25, 2020 10:33 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

This is reminding me to check the air in my spare and inspect it generally. I believe it is the OE tire, so probably more of a liability than anything, but it always looks OK when I am in there. But yeah, it's ancient.

Brings up a point, however, about the staggered setup for facelift cars. Somebody mentioned not wanting to use a 15 on a 16" square setup, but if the spare is 15", didn't Mr. T still intend it for use on the stock rear tires? It would be pretty weird to run three 15s and one 16" wheel, but on a stock setup, that is what one would have to do.

In any case, I suppose I should get a 16" spare for The Frog.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 9:58 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @nottamiata

This is reminding me to check the air in my spare and inspect it generally. I believe it is the OE tire, so probably more of a liability than anything, but it always looks OK when I am in there. But yeah, it's ancient.

Brings up a point, however, about the staggered setup for facelift cars. Somebody mentioned not wanting to use a 15 on a 16" square setup, but if the spare is 15", didn't Mr. T still intend it for use on the stock rear tires? It would be pretty weird to run three 15s and one 16" wheel, but on a stock setup, that is what one would have to do.

In any case, I suppose I should get a 16" spare for The Frog.

I have seen many spare tire/wheels that are smaller in both diameter and width of the original tires.  The purpose of the spare tire is to get you to a tire shop at a cautious speed. Some manufactures make full size width wise to make it safer but that is not the purpose as a replacement to take out of rotation however if the car is newer it could possibly be the case as long as its identical. Once its over 6 years old  it's not a good idea.  

Often what unfortunately happens is many think the spare tire is a real tire and drive to work on it and eventually get around to replacing it.   The spare tire is just a  crutch so you have the means not to get stranded.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 10:16 am
Uncle Mush reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Realistically as long as the diameter of the tire is the same, wheel diameter and width are irrelevant. A 15" spare can be used on a 16" rear wheel specced MR2, just like a 17" aftermarket wheel can be used too. The exception is AWD/4WD cars, which REQUIRE identical wheels to prevent damage to the AWD system. They have different spares I believe? 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 5, 2020 7:52 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: