Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Glow fuses

dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I finally found one that popped during my radio install where I forgot to disconnect the connector.  I removed my new head unit for a second time to add steering wheel controls and accidentally touched the yellow constant on with the dash frame and heard the fuse pop.  Not a big deal as this happens when you do a bit of a risky  install where you don't want to go though the trouble of disconnecting the battery or harness. 

Anyway about five years ago I blew the cigarette lighter fuse and replace it and some of the other fuses with a newer technology fuses that lights up when it blows. I completely forgot about it so when I went to check the fuse it was glowing letting me know which one.  

This might not seem to be a big deal but its a big deal for the technology advancement of actually opening up your fuse box which is usually in a cramped location and seeing exactly which one needs to be replaced especially if you are on the road.  It doesn't just glow a little its like a light bright toy. 

I know it seems trivial but I think its worth replacing all of the fuses on our cars with these as it will save you a lot of time and frustration when things go wrong and you need to diagnose. 

Topic starter Posted : April 1, 2021 8:51 am
Uncle Mush reacted
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

Can't say I've seen those before , pretty cool . I don't know about replacing all of them though .

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 1, 2021 10:54 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

From what I read on the internets when they first came out it was just a little illuminated dot of light and later on with the kind I have the entire fuse glows bright. 

What I like about this technology is the backwards compatibility for older cars and its a dead simple idea especially in a time when cars are becoming far more sophisitcated and harder to diagnose. I still remember the glass fuses, actually I still have one for my amp. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 1, 2021 11:09 am
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

These show a dot but in the video I couldn't get to load the whole fuse would glow .  

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 1, 2021 11:34 am
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

These types of fuses have been around for awhile, and they look like they still demand a premium price.  Fuses should rarely blow, so I will still with my DMM and stockpile of cheap fuses.  For the non-electrically inclined, they are a bargain.

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 1, 2021 1:17 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Posted by: @neomr2

These types of fuses have been around for awhile, and they look like they still demand a premium price.  Fuses should rarely blow, so I will still with my DMM and stockpile of cheap fuses.  For the non-electrically inclined, they are a bargain.

I am one of the non-electronically inclined.  Not knowing anything about these kinds of fuses, what kind of money are we talking about to replace the fuses in the Spyder?  Are these kinds of fuses available at the larger parts-store chains like O'Reilly, Napa, etc.?

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 1, 2021 3:43 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @uncle-mush
Posted by: @neomr2

I am one of the non-electronically inclined.  Not knowing anything about these kinds of fuses, what kind of money are we talking about to replace the fuses in the Spyder?  Are these kinds of fuses available at the larger parts-store chains like O'Reilly, Napa, etc.?

I bought mine at Advanced Auto.  They were just 15 amp fuses that came in pack and were cheap enough. The labeling on the package said they glow when the fuse blows out and thought neat but at the time I was in a scramble for a fuse.  I put the remaining where other 15amp fuses we're suppose to be and lost the rest because I was looking for them yesterday. 

I think this is a blessing for anyone mechanically inclined or not.  I  have blown fuses before although rare but it had me worried and having to pull fuses and my hair with worry that it might be serious. Sometimes its a fuse and sometimes it's not but its good to know quickly and effortlessly with one look as a process of elimination since I hate wasting time and its great if you are on the road.  

A replacement for the fuse is not always the cure as it could be a short in the electronics that will cause it to blow again but I like this technology. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 1, 2021 4:17 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I poked around on the internet and seems they run about a buck a piece for the smaller blade fuses, which I understand are a lot more expensive that the old fashioned non-glowing fuses, but still not a lot of money in the big scheme of things for electronically challenged folks such as myself.  I found larger assortment kits of these fuses on Amazon for about 50 cents a piece, but doubt if I would ever use that many fuses (in the large assortment) since I can't remember the last time I had a blown fuse in any of my vehicles.  The larger blade fuses were a bit more expensive than the smaller blade fuses.  I don't remember which we have more of in our spyders.  Thanks again for brining this technology to my attention.  Much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 1, 2021 5:21 pm
dev reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Amazon has those in packs that make the price about $0.50 / fuse.  It's a cool idea.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 5, 2021 10:26 am
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

@  Come on Uncle Mush ... splurge a little .... get your glow on !!!! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 5, 2021 12:39 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
Share: