Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Rotor removal tool

dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I wish this was available a long time ago. Makes removal of rusted rotors very easy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VI9IG4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know about the bolt thing from years ago but it was never explained properly by the people who mentioned it on the internets as it was brought up by a few but I never had as much luck or even knew you needed two points of contact because people on the internet claim to know something existed but it really wasn't a thing or they were very poor at explaining it.  I tried the bolt method before on one side and all it did was strip as it was arrested so I skipped the idea and just used PB blaster and blows. 

I was looking for a better way to remove frozen rotors than beating it out by hitting and turning the rotor so I looked on Amazon and there it was. There is also another device that looks like a gear puller but I decided to give this a try since it looks simple. 

It works great. On one rotor I was able to get it out by just twisting the knobs by hand. On the other rotor it just needed a 10mm wrench applied evenly on both sides and it popped off.  Wow.  In addition to this it makes handling the rotor easy by grabbing it by the knobs so I decided to  install the new rotor the same way by screwing it in the same holes I was able to maneuver it on the hub without bumping into the lugs and not having the touch the rotor face with my greasy hands.  It felt like one of those assembly tools you see on that show how its made. 

Get this, it makes removal and install easy. No more messy PB blaster or banging it out. 

Topic starter Posted : April 11, 2021 9:49 am
neomr2 reacted
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

Since Dev didn't want to share the link -> rotor+removal+tool

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2021 12:15 pm
dev reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

haha.  aren't those just regular 14mm bolts?  anyway, nice to have the tool.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 12, 2021 12:01 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @lordtakuban

haha.  aren't those just regular 14mm bolts?  anyway, nice to have the tool.

You probably cannot judge it from the picture but they are large plastic knobs on the end of the bolt where you can get enough leverage using your hands to turn the bolt and break it free without any other tools most of the time.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 12, 2021 12:13 pm
LordTakuban reacted
(@forminfunction)
Eminent Member

The trusty 4lb hammer hasn't failed me yet...just make sure to put a lug on or someone will go home missing their shins. I can see this being more useful when you are doing other work & plan on reusing a stubborn rotor though

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 12, 2021 8:29 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

I like the "hands off the rotor" concept, especially if one is just removing the rotor to work elsewhere. I've tried removing stubborn rotors with bolts before but usually end up stripping the holes before the rotor gives. Then it's either the minisledge or sandhammer depending on whether I plan to use that rotor again...

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 12, 2021 9:37 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @marsrock7

I like the "hands off the rotor" concept, especially if one is just removing the rotor to work elsewhere. I've tried removing stubborn rotors with bolts before but usually end up stripping the holes before the rotor gives. Then it's either the minisledge or sandhammer depending on whether I plan to use that rotor again...

I had the same issue with the bolts before when it was suggested to me. Back then not many people knew what the holes were for, they would mention using one of them with a bolt that fits.  All it would do is strip either at the threads or at the little bolt head. I have heard of some having the bolt head snap off. 

Those two screw holes were made specifically for removal of the rotor and you need to use both at the same time. The trick is to adjust one and the other back and forth until it pops.  It is a technique that I was not aware of and that is why it didn't work for me with one bolt.  So if anyone wants to save some money you can buy the bolts but not just any bolts. 

after reading about the tool I now know why the threads stripped. The pitch on the small 8MM threads are corse. If you use a common machine screw or something that you have laying around and try to force it in it will lock up and strip.   

What I like about this tool is the handles and the tool material that is built well so you don't have those issues. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 13, 2021 9:24 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I had a local member come over today to watch and assist me to do the rears. He was impressed by the tool and I think it will be in his shopping cart.  You can hear it pop when you turn the knobs. I would rate this as one of the many useful tools that I own. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 13, 2021 7:48 pm
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

Interesting tool, thanks Dev.  

I have used a wire brush on a drill, PB, a bolt and when all else fails, a hammer.

Good practice is greasing/anti-seizing every metal to metal part in this area.  Hub to rotor, rotor to rim... Especially around the hub itself.  Makes roadside wheel removal a little less entertaining.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 15, 2021 3:16 pm
dev reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Ah, California life. Never had a rotor get stuck. Even on the ANCIENT rotors on my Corolla when it sat for 5+ years, they fell right off as I removed the wheel.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 16, 2021 12:36 am
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

Cool tool. Ive got two bolts sitting in my toolbox that I use to do the exact same thing. Guess this offers the convenience of not needing to throw a ratchet on it. Also, I second the usefulness of putting antisieze on mating surfaces of rotor to hub and a tiny bit on rotor to wheel. Just dont put any on lugs or lug studs. I remember when i took my wheels off my jetta (first car) for the first time. They were rusted on supppppppper bad. Literally got on my back and stomped as hard as i could on edge of wheel and they wouldn't come off. Ended up wrapping a baseball bat and slamming on the tire sidewall until the wheels popped off hahahahaha.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2021 11:13 am
Share: