Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Fuel System Upkeep Suggestions

(@mr2zeal)
Eminent Member

I never had a car with an internal fuel filter system, so I was wondering what maintenance upkeep is required or a good idea. Is the fuel filter (sock?) required to be replaced or better not to mess with the assembly until the pump needs to be replaced?

The car has about 140k miles with a 2zz swap. The car was sitting for a while with the previous owner deployed in Iraq. It seems to be driving and idling well. I do need to drop the tank at some point this year to install the roll cage. 

Thanks

Topic starter Posted : June 16, 2020 1:36 pm
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I don’t think the fuel sock requires any maintenance.   I did buy a “rescue” spyder that sat for about 7 years.   The fuel had evaporated and left some really nasty crud in the fuel tank.   That required a new fuel filter sock...plus some cleaning inside the tank.   But that’s not normal maintenance.

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 16, 2020 3:11 pm
(@mr2zeal)
Eminent Member

@cyclehead ---Uff--7 yrs. I'm not sure how long mine was sitting out while he was deployed. Did you feel the crude interfering with the throttle response? 

I don't mind the idea of changing the sock, but sometimes you go to fix one thing, but break some tiny clip that you can't replace and create unnecessary problems when it didn't actually require any maintenance.

@Dev I think you did yours previously. Thoughts?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 16, 2020 5:27 pm
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

There's the sock, then the bottom portion of the fuel pump assembly is actually a filter as well.  If the car has been sitting a long time, like Cyclehead's example, I would replace the sock and the filter.  Otherwise, I'd replace it when (if) the fuel pump goes out just for piece of mind and you're already there anyway.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 16, 2020 5:58 pm
(@mr2zeal)
Eminent Member

@nocoolname Thanks did not know that. Is #7 what you mean?

So #3 is fuel filter - 23300-23040

And #7 is the Prefilter Fuel Sock - 23217-23010

TOY 23217 23010 mwr

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 16, 2020 7:00 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @mr2zeal

@Dev I think you did yours previously. Thoughts?

Yes I replaced just the filter. My fuel trims were fine so I didn't bother to replace the pump.   I kept the same sock since it did not seem like it was clogged.  

I have seen some very high milage Spyders and some higher millage Corolla that never had the filter changed so it probably depends on your luck.  The filter is so big in these modern cars to last a life time under normal use and that is why its in the tank and not really a maintenance part like it was in the 90s.  I think so far the design for filtration has proven its self but off late Denso has put out some newer bad fuel pump designs that are not fairing well.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2020 9:41 am
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member

@mr2zeal  Yep, you got it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2020 2:04 pm
Share: