belt noise and general restoration questions to the more experienced

(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member
20200609 165955
20200609 171819
20200609 171423
20200609 172337

Hi all,

2001 73k mileage, have owned for about 2 months or so, post corona shut down so no DMV available.

Suppose DMV is back at it now as I have received a letter giving me 30 days to report for emissions inspection.

I started down the pre-cat delete path, have other threads here but the nuts and bolts of the entire exhaust system have rusted completely to *#$%.

This led to an OCD loops where I am basically replacing every fastener I'm coming across, I suppose the intention now is to paint the entire exhaust system, mostly for fun and just because.

I'm keeping the OEM headers and midpipe, just painting and replacing all fasteners as per above.

So now, I have additional motivation to get this done.

Several questions for you experienced lot:

1) After a decent drive with semi-spirited driving a fairly loud fan belt noise is present when idling or parking. See pics attached of pulleys, some of which are showing rust. I am planning to change the serpentine belt shortly, would any of you recommend any attention paid to the pulleys themselves, such as lubrication, etc. Or start with the belt only and see what happens?

2) See that Borla muffler? Its got some rust. I understand mufflers usually rust from the inside out, so the internet tells me. Worth painting the muffler and holding on to it, or chucking and replacing with a different one?

3) In general, if you had this new-to-you car in this condition of disassembly already, what would you as the savvy new owner do as easy preventative/restorative maintenance that is fairly easy for the layman hobbyist mechanic?

Again, this really is my first rodeo as far as home auto mechanics, so looking for sage advice in general please.

Thanks.

Topic starter Posted : June 11, 2020 2:29 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

If you see no holes in the muffler I wouldn't really worry too much about it. My Magnaflow can rusted from the outside in fwiw. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 11, 2020 5:29 pm
(@murray)

Your serpentine belt appears to be a laterally grooved piece. The stock Toyota belt has the grooves running longitudinally. Older threads used to mention these aftermarket as a source of more noise. Never had the experience myself, but I use the stock type set up. If the pulleys are not a source of noise themselves, the rust on them is just a cosmetic issue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 11, 2020 7:28 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

With the belts removed, spin all of the pulleys by hand. You should not feel or hear any clatter. If so replace.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 12, 2020 9:43 am
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

@murray

Thanks, I purchased a replacement from Napa before reading your reply but thankfully is longitudinally grooved. 👍 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 12, 2020 4:14 pm
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

@cspidy

Good info, thanks very much.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 12, 2020 4:14 pm
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

@haloruler64

Thanks, decided to rust treat and paint the old borla.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 12, 2020 4:15 pm
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

The idler pulley can make a reasonably loud gritty hum before it dies. Focus on what noise and from where. 80k for 18 years means it sits a bit. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 13, 2020 11:24 pm
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

@ispy

Thanks for your reply!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 15, 2020 1:14 pm
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

Got something done over the weekend, valve cover painted & cured in high heat red & clear.

20200615 003702
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 15, 2020 1:44 pm
pwnzor and dev reacted
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

All,

Serpentine belt question:

Performed replacement and new Gates longitudinal belt was routed correctly on all pulleys.

Tensioner had been replaced recently and is in good shape.

Experiencing loud squealing from what would sound to be the alternator pulley after the new belt installation.

Assuming I did not have it tensioned correctly and it was too loose (?) have removed to re-install.

Curious if there is some other well known issue to you experienced lot other than incorrect tensioning.

Thanks for any input.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 25, 2020 12:38 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

Bad bearing on the alternator pulley, give it a spin with your fingers. Should be smooth and quiet.

if it’s slipping it will sound like a chicken

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 25, 2020 1:34 pm
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

Thanks, alt pulley spins smoothly when belt removed, which makes me think I somehow mangled the belt installation though it the routing is all correct

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 25, 2020 1:58 pm
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

So it became apparent that there was too much play in the tensioner pulley and spring. 

Of course the smaller top flange nut on the tensioner assembly is seized on and rounded off, in line with all of the other bolts throughout the exhaust system.

It wouldn't be the same if that weren't the case and what's one more poke in the eye, anyway.

That nut sits on a stud that is up against the firewall, so damaging that stud thread would mean dropping the engine to replace it I'm afraid.

Once more into the breech with a nut splitter / chisel / torch.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 26, 2020 12:41 pm
(@clamers)

I just got done fixing this issue.  Even though this is an older post I will reply.  I had a lot of noise in my accessory drive system when I bought my 20 year old 2000 Spyder.  I had a loud whine that went up and down with RPM - this turned out to be the alternator.  I made the mistake of buying a new aftermarket alternator and after a day of trying to get it to fit I ordered a refurbished Denzo unit from my Toyota dealer.  Perfect fit the first time.  Whine fixed.  I still had a grinding sound that was driving me crazy.  I purchased a replacement idler arm pulley from Advance (20 dollars) and a specialty socket from Amazon (10dollars) that is needed to remove the pulley nut.  Still had the noise but that pulley was old and need to be replaced.  I then replaced the metal grooved idler pulley (50 dollars from Toyota) that had a small amount of play.  Bingo!  It was whisper quiet after replacement.  I also bought a new water pump (112dollars from Toyota) due to the age of the car and the mileage (100k).  I figured whatever made everything else go bad was probably going to cause the water pump to fail.  If you want to see if your noise is caused by something belt driven vs the engine you can remove the serpentine belt and run the engine for 20 seconds and see if your noise goes away.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2020 11:48 pm
Share: