Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Cleaning fuel injectors

cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I successfully cleaned some goo out of my fuel injectors yesterday.  I’ve never done that before, but glad it worked.   I bought the plastic tube things from Amazon.  They allow you to plug the injector into one end, and push the other end onto a can of cleaner, then open the solenoid with 12v.   The kit came with big alligator clips to hook to the battery, but no way to pulse the voltage.  It’s supposedly not good to keep the power applied very long for fear of overheating the coils.  So I wired up an old radio shack switch and tie-wrapped it to the tube thing.   It cured a slight misfire that wasn’t showing any CEL codes.  

It’s a litte tight getting the injectors out since they’re on the forward side of the engine.  I tried to blow all the crap away from the injectors with compressed air before unplugging them.   There was still quite a bit floating around after I got them out, so I taped a snorkel to my shop vac and tried to clean up a little more.  

I had to pry the injectors down, and out of the fuel rail with a screwdriver.  The o-rings fit pretty tightly.  I popped on some generic “metric” size nitrile o-rings when I reinstalled, and smeared a little silicone grease to help them seat.

7F54F572 176E 4D28 9B48 7D7B832CA478
0E60100F 40BF 4FFA A04F 1C2FC1554FF5
This topic was modified 5 years ago 3 times by cyclehead

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

Topic starter Posted : August 25, 2019 8:57 am
hello, marsrock7, dev and 1 people reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

This is pretty neat! Will probably be trying this soon. I suspect one of my yellows is leaking, since all my fuel trims are normal except I go to -20 when at warm idle...

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2019 10:02 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Is this what you got? https://www.amazon.com/beler-Universal-Injector-Cleaner-Cleaning/dp/B071RC9JMY

I dunno about generic O rings, the bottom seals on these injectors are pretty beefy. Probably best to get OEMs, last I checked aftermarket are barely cheaper and I have gotten cut ones before. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2019 10:27 pm
(@hello)
Reputable Member

If you have more pictures and details to add for noobs like me, we should sticky this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 26, 2019 1:03 pm
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @haloruler64

Is this what you got? https://www.amazon.com/beler-Universal-Injector-Cleaner-Cleaning/dp/B071RC9JMY

I dunno about generic O rings, the bottom seals on these injectors are pretty beefy. Probably best to get OEMs, last I checked aftermarket are barely cheaper and I have gotten cut ones before. 

That’s the kit I bought.  I’m sure the proper o-rings are cheap.  I’m pretty much patching up this car to see if it will be a driver, or a scrapper.   The upper seals are regular o-rings, the lower are some fat rubber things.  To do it right, I’m sure you should replace both upper and lower while you’re in there.    The hard part is keeping crap out of the holes while it’s open.  

I ran cleaning solvent through the injectors “forward” about three times.  Then “backwards” once or twice.  I stuck an old o-ring over the tip to temporarily seal while I was backflushing.  If there were some real particles in there it would probably make more sense to backflush them first to wash the stuff out through the big inlet hole.  Then follow with washing them forward through the small injector squirted holes.    I never noticed any poor spray pattern, or any improvement.  But it sure ran better after flushing!  The misfire went away about 10 seconds after starting the car.

This post was modified 5 years ago 2 times by cyclehead

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 26, 2019 1:50 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

Cycle-cranium, 

are the injectors from your V6 or 4 banger?

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 26, 2019 8:07 pm
Share: