Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Car Cover for My Spyder

DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

Hello. My cars are all kept garaged. I live, however, in a very remote part of the world with dusty roads. As a result my cars get dusty while sitting in the garage or in a carport. Does anyone know of a decent car cover for the Spyder? There is no need for anything really fancy as the car is under a roof at least. I am presently covering the car with two king size sheets at night and this works well but looks a bit less than optimal. Ideas? 

(Yes, I have heard of search engines. I have found a bunch of covers and I am hoping someone has actually seen one that they could comment on.)

Thanks in Advance!

This topic was modified 5 years ago by DesertWanderer

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

Topic starter Posted : August 25, 2019 4:00 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Many cheaper car covers scratch paint, especially if you put them on a dirty car.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2019 5:51 am
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

My car covers used to pick up a lot of electrostatic dust, not sure if it was coming from dirt on the car or small stuff that filtered through the cover.  So I’d take the cover off, then have to wipe it down with a red “California duster” to get the sticky dust off the fenders.  If you have a dry garage, then maybe a cheap waterproof cover would keep dust from filtering through the cover.  Especially on top of something soft like your bedsheets.  The “breathable” covers I have owned seem to just filter the small dirt right through.  

I have had some bad experience with “waterproof” covers in the rain.  Water always gets through, then bakes.  It would drive moisture into the paint and leave really ugly white splotches ...that would eventually dry out.   

This post was modified 5 years ago by cyclehead

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2019 9:16 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I use a cheap thin cloth cover a local  member gave me.  I like it because its effective at dust protection and I can throw it in the washing machine at the beginning of the season.  It’s also very easy to put on, take off and put away. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2019 9:53 am
(@not-2-old-for-2-seater)
Estimable Member

I bought a cover from Covercraft Custom: https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/product/custom-block-it-380-car-cover.C-CCB3; for around $170.

The cover is not waterproof, however it has provided good protection to my Spyder.

What I really like about this cover is that: it fits everything (including outside mirrors); has enough extra fabric to go on/off easily; provides full coverage; and allows you to attach a cable and lock so that your cover cannot blow off and/or be quickly or easily stolen.

Paul

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2019 11:16 am
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

Thanks to all for the ideas. I looked a lot to try to find something that would work as well as a couple of high quality bedsheets. Though I do not like the look I settled on a couple of high quality bedsheets. It is just a night time cover to keep the dust off because I am in the deep country in Texas and the car is kept in a carport (one side open).

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 31, 2019 5:38 pm
 Triz
(@triz)

I've had both a expensive covercraft cover and a cheap cover off eBay. My eBay cover was just as good as my covercraft.  While the covercraft had pockets for the mirrors, my eBay cover did not. It was breathable, came with a cable, don't recall if it came with a lock. 

I paid close to $200 or more for the covercraft, my eBay one was $50.00 on sale. It's usually around $59.00 from a seller named advance something.  I bought another cover for my Alfa from the same seller. I love it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 8, 2019 3:15 am
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@triz

I will use the cover only as a dust cover. Is it fairly easy to install /remove the cover? I ask because I daily drive my Spyder and install /remove would thus be a daily chore.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 8, 2019 9:56 am
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

FWIW, I have a custom cover I bought used from a member on SC and it has the pockets for the mirrors.  I also have a non-custom cover (no mirror pockets).  I found the cover with the mirror pockets easier for me to use because I can hook the cover on a mirror and then hook it on the other mirror and then it goes on easily.  I'd have to hook the front of the cover (with no pockets) on the front of the car and hope it stayed in place while I stretched it to the back of the car.  With either cover, it is easy for the cover to slide-off the car due to smooth paint and that is why I like the pocketed cover better.  That said, with either cover, it is just a matter of getting used to using the cover you go with.  After a while it get faster putting the cover on or taking it off.  I find it only takes me about a minute, now that I know the tricks for putting the cover on the car or taking it off.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 8, 2019 12:04 pm
Share: