Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Silver Hard Top

ksabin711
(@ksabin711)

Hi all I am looking for a silver Hard Top for my 2005 Toyota MR2.  I am located in NJ.  Thank you for your time.  Keith

(posted 11/30/19)

Hi Everyone. I am looking for a silver hardtop. I leave in NJ near Giant Stadium. If anyone know anyone selling one please let me know. my email is ksabin711@yahoo.com

Thank you for your time,
Keith

Topic starter Posted : November 29, 2019 11:07 am
Topic Tags
Erdoc48
(@erdoc48)
Estimable Member

Go to fullspeedtech.com. Mike V sells them and he’s actually in NJ (but imports them from the UK)- right now, it looks like he has 4 available (none in silver though)- you can always get one and get it professionally repainted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2019 11:18 am
ksabin711
(@ksabin711)

@erdoc48

Thank you for info.  Would still prefer silver one

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 29, 2019 11:25 am
Erdoc48
(@erdoc48)
Estimable Member

@ksabin711

Silver tops do come in from time to time...you may have to wait until he gets one in or email him to tell him what you want

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2019 12:44 pm
ksabin711 reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Hi Keith . . .

I bought my 1DO Silver hard top from MikeV ten years ago and can tell you that he is a great vendor to work with.  His customer service is impeccable. The OEM Hard Top is not cheap, but for my money it was the best "mod" I ever made to my Spyder.  It keeps the cabin warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer and improves the overall rigidity of the car -- something you can experience immediately in any turn.  The cabin is more quiet with the hard top on the car.  It also changes the visual lines of the car and IMHO improves the overall look of the car, making it even more difficult for uneducated eyes to discern the make of the car.  erdoc48 was kind enough to already provide MikeV's web address and you can also attempt to contact him here, as he is a member of this community.  It is worthwhile contacting him to let him know what you are looking for -- that way he can keep a lookout for the color that you are looking for.  OEM Hard Tops were not an option in North America, so unless you can find someone nearby to sell you the one they already imported (and most likely bought from MikeV) you will need to find a vendor to ship one to you from another county -- usually GB or Japan.  When I see individuals selling their hard tops, here in the USA, they charge about the same amount of money as buying one directly from MikeV because the OEM hard tops are rare (supply in demand) and the previous USA owners spent a huge chunk of change to buy their (used) hard top originally.

Installation of the OEM hardtop is fairly easy.  You will need to cut some of the existing plastic trim pieces in the cabin, but that is easily done and fortunately Mr. T even molded the cutting lines into the back of the existing plastics already in the cabin.  I cut mine -- very carefully -- with a utility knife when I did my install 10 years ago.  A Dremel tool would have been much better, but I didn't have one back then and wanted to get the job done the same day I received my hard top from Great Brittan.  

Things to consider when buying a hard top is to make certain you also purchase the fitting kit.  On rare occasions the fitting kits will come up for sale on the boards, but that is pretty unusual as what good is the fitting kit without the hard top and visa versa.  When I bought my hard top from MikeV, the fitting kit was included with the purchase price of the hard top.  I would assume that is still the case when buying from MikeV, but you would have to check with him to make sure that is still the case.

There are many different ways to store the hard top when running with just the soft top.  Originally I built a "shelf" in the garage that suspended from the ceiling that I could drive my Spyder front clip under and then manually lift the hard top onto the shelf to stow.  In GB there was a "rack" of sorts that people could strap their hardtops onto and store them upright in their garage.  Last year erdoc48 found a company that makes a hoist system (manual and electric) and shared that info with us.  I checked it out and bought the electric version -- and love it!  Here is the link for that company: https://www.top-hoist.com/index.html   I have no financial interest in this or any other company.  I'm just sharing this information for the community.  

If anyone would like PDFs of the Toyota OEM Hardtop Installation Manual or PDF of the Hardtop Owner's Manual, send me a private message to request them and provide your email address and I will email to you the two PDFs that I have.  

One last thing -- just in case you (or other readers of this thread) are not aware, the hard top and the original soft top are designed to coexist -- you do not remove the original soft top from the car when installing the hard top.  Sometimes when the Misses and I take a trip to the coast, we will make the drive with the hard top on the car and once we are there, we remove the hard top and stow it in the room and enjoy the convertible for the rest of the stay and then reinstall (takes 2 minutes) the hard top for the longer trip home. 

Good luck with your search for a hard top.  Welcome to MR2-Spyder.com.  Happy motoring . . . 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2019 5:11 pm
ksabin711 reacted
ksabin711
(@ksabin711)

@uncle-mush

I have contacted Mike V.  Chances are I will buy from him.  Just waiting to get some time to talk with him

kind regards,

Keith

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 30, 2019 8:07 pm
ksabin711
(@ksabin711)

I have nothing but great things about Mike V. and the good thing is he is about an hour from me.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 30, 2019 8:15 pm
Share: