Changes in the stab...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Changes in the stable

(@turbo_jimbo)
Estimable Member

The time has come. I signed paperwork yesterday and now I'm waiting for the transport truck to arrive from Arizona. My daily driver 2018 AMG E63 is on the way out. The warranty is up in May, and they don't make aftermarket brake rotors. I'm not willng to spend $5k for brakes, so after some shopping around in an extremely odd car market, I found something I'm willing to live with after the best car ever made. Understanding that nothing will compare fairly to a modern AMG, and after many test drives, I decided on a Camaro. Coming sometime next week is a 2022 ZL1 1LE in Rapid Blue. I'll post pics when it arrives.

Also, my spyder runs again.

Topic starter Posted : March 15, 2022 2:41 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

When I drive past the kids, they all spit and cuss.  Because I got a bitchin' Camaro and they have to ride the bus!

Sorry.  I just had to throw some Dead Milkmen in there when I saw Camaro.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2022 8:34 pm
Galo and Uncle Mush reacted
(@turbo_jimbo)
Estimable Member

cant go wrong there lol

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 16, 2022 4:26 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

I'm glad my 135i's brakes aren't overly expensive.

Enjoy the Camaro!

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 20, 2022 4:50 pm
(@turbo_jimbo)
Estimable Member

I didn't ever think I would be trading in my AMG, let alone it going up in value... BUT, a lack of aftermarket options for brakes means the dealer gets to charge way too much. Considering its a rotor that's been used for more than 10 years, you'd think there would be options. Iron rotors shouldn't be $1,000 each.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 22, 2022 1:37 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

I looked into that...I was shocked at the price! I bought my E88 135i, 2-27-21. I had read about the potential/inevitable future repairs and got a 5 year/50k mile warranty. Brakes aren't covered, but they are no where near as costly as the AMG's.

Hey, ya' gotta do what you gotta do...

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 22, 2022 10:39 pm
(@turbo_jimbo)
Estimable Member

As fantastic as they are, German cars suck to maintain and repair. lol

Camaro is supposed to be loaded onto a truck in Scottsdale later today. 

A little tongue in cheek, but I'm ready to not be driving my GT3 as a daily.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 24, 2022 1:02 pm
dev reacted
cyclehead
(@cyclehead)
Honorable Member

I’m learning a lot as a part time “volunteer” at a local import repair shop.   I learned that exotic cars really stink.   I’m watching the shop replace window regulators in a BMW Z8, and a Maserati Quattroporte - each with less than 40,000 miles!   My Spyder is touching 200,000 miles and I fully expect the window regulators to keep working for another 100,000 miles.    I also learned that a Dodge Viper 10 is creaky, noisy and slow; and an Aston Martin V12 Vantage makes beautiful noises but has a really mushy automatic transmission, and a mushy suspension to match.   What a disappointment.  

I make Amateur Armrests - see the Commercial Forum. I also have SMT repair seals available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 30, 2022 10:33 am
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

@cyclehead Thanks for sharing that information.  Makes me love my Spyder that much more and confirms my early hopes when I first bought my Spyder that it would be sports car enough for me with Toyota dependability.  FTW

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2022 12:50 am
(@turbo_jimbo)
Estimable Member
ZL1 arrival

Quick shot of the new car. Next to my GT3, and at the far end the E63 still waiting for transport back to the dealership in Scottsdale. The Spyder is parked in the back yard next to my casita. Depending on the time of day, it's either full shade or cool enough being in the morning sunlight is pleasant. At least for the next couple weeks anyway.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 31, 2022 1:22 pm
Galo reacted
Share: