Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The random chat thread for throwing out things that don't matter

Page 5 / 48
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Is there significance to Long Beach? I guess I don't know a lot about Long Beach. Or I'm missing a horse reference.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 22, 2019 10:12 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Mr. Ed the talking horse?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2019 10:26 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Reverse image search came up with the horse, sans hat, on only 18 different sites across the globe. You obviously added the hat on your own and your avatar is an original.... I'm out of ideas for now. Know nothing about Long Beach... Only been there once.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2019 2:54 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

It's true, I created the avatar by adding my own hat to the horse.  

The reason I did so is incredibly obscure and difficult to discover.  We may have to come up with some other contest by which I may disseminate these equally rare stickers.

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2019 8:31 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

@haloruler64

Yes, there is significance to a horse wearing a hat in Long Beach California.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2019 8:41 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Long Beach Mounted Police started in the 30's?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2019 11:11 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

My search brought up some results regarding police too... Including one in Riverside that always wears a Stetson and he's become somewhat of a local sight because of it... 

The horse isn't wearing a Stetson... So long shot, but is the cop's nickname Horse? 🤷‍♂️

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 23, 2019 1:18 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

I did not Hoogle this first... where's the fun in that?!?

Perhaps there is some obscure slang where a mounted PoPo is simply called a horse with a hat?

(Now that i took my shot, I get to goog it)

Perhaps Pwnzor used to be a "horse hat" in a past life?

(Update: I think my guess was wrong)

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 23, 2019 1:21 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

OK, here's the reveal.  I'll come up with a different guessing game for the sticker prize.

Waaaay back in the early days of Long Beach, they had some interesting laws regarding decency.

One such law mandated that it is illegal to kiss your own wife in public.  The thought process being that women getting kissed out on the street were generally of ill repute.

Another law that is still technically on the books to this day, is that it is illegal for any horse to wear a hat.  It is considered obscene.

Those who know me well enough will tell you that I've lived on both sides of the law. Riding motorcycles whilst in the commission of various acts of dubious legality earned me the numeric designation of "967" which is police code for an outlaw motorcyclist.  It is said that a judge Castner once referred to me as a "scofflaw" and hinted that my activities had likely begun before motorcycles were invented.  This would imply that they may have been committed on horseback.  Thankfully, Judge Castner shared the same last name as a friend of mine from grade school.  Life would have been much different had this not been the case.

Er go, the horse with the hat.

Now, to come up with some other puzzle to entangle the mind and liberate these stickers to a new home.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 23, 2019 4:35 pm
haloruler64 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Found this video on solid state batteries and thought I'd share. This tech brought to you by a man who has already played a major role in developing the technology we have today. John B. Goodenough. Weird how I ingest so much science and had never heard his name before. He basically has received every science award that exists and at the age of 97 (NINETY SEVEN!) is STILL developing new technology for the world. What an incredible human being.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 27, 2019 10:20 am
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

Yes. that solid state glass battery sounds pretty amazing. Tesla, Toyota and even General Motors are currently looking into it. One of the rumors about the new mid-engine Corvette was that it was designed to be electric. That makes sense from an engineering / design standpoint.  They won't need to do too much re-designing once the new battery is perfected. Hmm, maybe that is why there is no manual transmission option. Kinda smart on the GM end. Now if Toyota is holding back on a new MR2, pending this new solid state battery, I'd be all over that. It could make the old original Tesla Roadster seem like a golf cart in comparison.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 27, 2019 5:03 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Are we really supposed to take "John B. Goodenough" seriously?

("It's a joke name, like Sillyosourus Rex or, uh, Biggus Dickus...")

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 30, 2019 10:54 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 31, 2019 12:30 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Not sure. Might be a regional thing. Biggus Dickus sounds like a stand up guy...

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 31, 2019 4:51 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Finally got around to looking up glass batteries. I'll be damned... J. B. Goodenough indeed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 31, 2019 7:46 am
Page 5 / 48
Share: