Notifications
Clear all

The random chat thread for throwing out things that don't matter

Page 45 / 48
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

This is how crazy the internet has become. Prior to 2017 pressure washers were not considered anything more than a device that can clean cars and homes from the consumer perspective. In the commercial world they do very different things that are primarily industrial with products that perform certain tasks at a much higher price point and build quality with guns that are German or Italian made.  They have combined the two and now it has turned into a hobby. 

I have tried a different gun and it was just fine but I returned it to buy this one and I cant tell you why except that I got sucked into the consumerism bubble like a fish seeing a shiny lure. I received it yesterday and it is very nice in the hand and so were the high quality fittings. I don't need this because I am not a professional detailer but somehow it got my interest to appreciate a well thought out product that will last me many years of great service.  All I can say is it fits my hand perfectly and it has a two stage trigger. 

This post was modified 5 months ago by dev
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 10, 2023 10:13 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@dev regardless of whether or not you *need* it, it is nice to have tools you enjoy using rather than ones that aren't as well built. Supporting the market for well designed instruments is good validation on its own... but if you like the tool, you are more likely to use it, and work will be done. If you stuck with a gun you didn't *need* that was uncomfortable to use, that work might be put off. These decisions are mostly subconscious but they are there. Better to own an item designed to so do what it is supposed to do well, rather than designed to meet a price point. There's enough cheap plastic junk out there. One would hope your well designed item will also last longer than the cheap junk. As the saying goes.... Buy once, cry once. 

I suppose it's consumerism in the sense that it isn't minimalism, but at the same time it is not senseless consumerism. As long as one has the means and isn't burying themselves in debt for things they don't *need* ...enjoy it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 12, 2023 4:21 am
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Posted by: @marsrock7

@dev regardless of whether or not you *need* it, it is nice to have tools you enjoy using rather than ones that aren't as well built. Supporting the market for well designed instruments is good validation on its own... but if you like the tool, you are more likely to use it, and work will be done. If you stuck with a gun you didn't *need* that was uncomfortable to use, that work might be put off. These decisions are mostly subconscious but they are there. Better to own an item designed to so do what it is supposed to do well, rather than designed to meet a price point. There's enough cheap plastic junk out there. One would hope your well designed item will also last longer than the cheap junk. As the saying goes.... Buy once, cry once. 

I suppose it's consumerism in the sense that it isn't minimalism, but at the same time it is not senseless consumerism. As long as one has the means and isn't burying themselves in debt for things they don't *need* ...enjoy it. 

I suppose this is my own weakness that gives me entertainment.  I convince myself that it's better to buy once and all that but I do need to get a bit of control on the consumerism because everything is turning into my coffee hobby which has some of the most ridiculous products that are not needed but they love to bleed rich people dry making them believe they have to have it. I could have bought what I needed which is a Chinese copy of one of the spray guns for half the price and would never have a problem with it or even have to complain about the comfort but since it is pointed out I returned two of them to move up to this one.  I am sure they will come up with a new version 2.0 and then what am I going to do. In the old days pre internet it seems that you just bought quality stuff and you kept it forever or just passed it down but now its all about making it a hobby with Youtube presenters getting you to believe your previous tool is worthless.  

It reminds me of those people that buy trucks but don't actually use them. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 12, 2023 3:22 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Posted by: @haloruler64

I have conquered Laguna Seca, and far far better than I could have imagined.

CWW 2533
CWW 1145
CWW 2959

Congratulations!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 13, 2023 3:41 am
haloruler64 reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Okay my friends, time for an oldie but goodie:  The Turbo Encabulator: 

I had totally forgotten about this piece of work until I came across it again, recently.  Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 13, 2023 3:43 am
marsrock7 and dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

@uncle-mush 

Thats what I am talking about. I have seen posters on Spyderchat do the same thing with complicated explanations with all the math and science to appear smart but in their convoluted explanation it has all  the hidden flaws that no one questions because people will take them at their word rather than appearing ignorant.  I am not even in a lot of these fields of  study but I have a gut instinct to know something is not right and when I research it and  point it out in very simplistic terms that everyone can understand, Its say hello to the bad guy. I have found that the most intelligence people are those that can explain something in relative simple terms without being too wordy and the least are those that have to hide behind complicated ones and a inflated reputation to hide their intellectual fraud. 

This is why all of this crap on the internet including reviewers is giving me a big headache. Much of it is false consumerism to the masses to sell inferior crap and pass it off as technical marvels. I am guilty as charged as I am focusing on a pressure washer as a hobby then the actual purpose which should be uninteresting. 

This post was modified 5 months ago 2 times by dev
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 13, 2023 1:05 pm
marsrock7 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@uncle-mush lmao thank you... I had never seen this before.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 13, 2023 8:28 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Gone down a rabbit hole myself recently... Delved into people's EDC setups and finally landed on a few videos that were focused on pocket sized utility with minimal bulk and weight. I found a few nice tips there (like the fact you can order replacement weightless victorinox/swiss army items like tweezers for dirt cheap). After some freshly onboarded knowledge I began the hunt for the perfect pocket tool organizer. 

There is a lot of talk online about the small USA veteran owned companies that handcraft some of these organizers and I love the fact those options are out there. I really really wanted to find one made locally that suited my needs, even if it cost 2-3x more than it's foreign counterpart, but was unable to do so. I know some of these vendors will make to order as well but I didn't want to go through that process. 

One of the things I found lacking with the local vendors was detailed specs on their product. Many just listed overall dimensions, number of compartments, and failed to provide anything more. If I'm buying an organizer for multiple small tools I want dimensions of every pocket and sleeve.... I have many pocket tools already and wanted to find an organizer that fit what I already carry, not hunt for the right tools to fit my organizer. So I gave in and checked the website of the Chinese company I kept seeing repeated (viperade) and lo... Precise dimensional specs of every bit of storage space. 

Another concern I had was bulk. Many of the local vendors are making these in leather or heavy oiled canvas. I can appreciate the durability these materials provide and craftsmanship to produce them but these materials are heavy and bulky. Were this organizer going on my belt I'd be all for it, but I want this thing pocketable, minimal bulk and with nearly every item deployable *without* having to pull the whole kit from my pocket every time I want something. (I know, asking the world). Viperade makes most of their organizers with  heavy duty polyester and nylon. Thinner, lighter, still durable (so far). I had to hunt deep into the catalog to find a couple small and versatile enough to suit my needs, as many still seemed too bulky or had unnecessary things like Velcro for patches (more bulk) but after trying a couple I landed on the VE28, and here it is:

PXL 20231210 035904138~2
PXL 20231210 035917065 exported 577 1702181728154~2
PXL 20231210 040721212 exported 1169 1702181947616
PXL 20231210 040713110 exported 1211 1702181801911
PXL 20231210 040522966~3

The only thing missing is a small notepad that has its own sleeve behind the wrench and pliers. I may make a couple of minor changes to help get tools in and out easier. I already wrapped the lighter cap with UHMW tape (bought for the door jambs with @dev's bushings) so the flashlight can pass by more easily. I'm sure with use things will loosen up a bit more.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 13, 2023 8:36 pm
Uncle Mush and dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Gone down a rabbit hole myself recently... Delved into people's EDC setups and finally landed on a few videos that were focused on pocket sized utility with minimal bulk and weight. I found a few nice tips there (like the fact you can order replacement weightless victorinox/swiss army items like tweezers for dirt cheap). After some freshly onboarded knowledge I began the hunt for the perfect pocket tool organizer. 

There is a lot of talk online about the small USA veteran owned companies that handcraft some of these organizers and I love the fact those options are out there. I really really wanted to find one made locally that suited my needs, even if it cost 2-3x more than it's foreign counterpart, but was unable to do so. I know some of these vendors will make to order as well but I didn't want to go through that process. 

One of the things I found lacking with the local vendors was detailed specs on their product. Many just listed overall dimensions, number of compartments, and failed to provide anything more. If I'm buying an organizer for multiple small tools I want dimensions of every pocket and sleeve.... I have many pocket tools already and wanted to find an organizer that fit what I already carry, not hunt for the right tools to fit my organizer. So I gave in and checked the website of the Chinese company I kept seeing repeated (viperade) and lo... Precise dimensional specs of every bit of storage space. 

Another concern I had was bulk. Many of the local vendors are making these in leather or heavy oiled canvas. I can appreciate the durability these materials provide and craftsmanship to produce them but these materials are heavy and bulky. Were this organizer going on my belt I'd be all for it, but I want this thing pocketable, minimal bulk and with nearly every item deployable *without* having to pull the whole kit from my pocket every time I want something. (I know, asking the world). Viperade makes most of their organizers with  heavy duty polyester and nylon. Thinner, lighter, still durable (so far). I had to hunt deep into the catalog to find a couple small and versatile enough to suit my needs, as many still seemed too bulky or had unnecessary things like Velcro for patches (more bulk) but after trying a couple I landed on the VE28, and here it is:

PXL 20231210 035904138~2
PXL 20231210 035917065 exported 577 1702181728154~2
PXL 20231210 040721212 exported 1169 1702181947616
PXL 20231210 040713110 exported 1211 1702181801911
PXL 20231210 040522966~3

The only thing missing is a small notepad that has its own sleeve behind the wrench and pliers. I may make a couple of minor changes to help get tools in and out easier. I already wrapped the lighter cap with UHMW tape (bought for the door jambs with @dev's bushings) so the flashlight can pass by more easily. I'm sure with use things will loosen up a bit more.

Thats cool. I am presently looking at a fancy washer gun and tip accessory holder that is wall mountable to show off my pressure washer stuff to impress others. 

Sorry I am having a bit of an existential material crisis after researching pressure washers because not one of those videos explained them properly. I finally got my answer which I will share incase anyone is interested in knowing in simplistic terms. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2023 11:34 am
Uncle Mush reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Pressure washer research for those that are interested in knowing what to buy. 

Pressure washers specs are very deceiving. I hate this because they use false specs to gain your confidence.

There are only three specs you need to know.

1. Pressure at the line before it goes into the gun PSI

2. Flow measured in GPM Gallons per minute which is the output. 

3.  Amp load

Many pressure washers are over inflated by a lot and do not give you their rated performance. Some of them measure surge pressure at the pump which is much higher and then they go by that spec so you think you are buying a better pressure washer. The only way to know is to test the pressure in the line and the output. If the pressure is too high it will exceed the amp rating from your wall socket and go into protecting and will also lessen the life of the motor because of the overheating. 

Most all pressure washers are not pressure adjustable and the way you adjust pressure is by changing various tips with different hole sizes.

1. Smaller hole size greater the pressure, increase in the amp load and lower GPM

2. Larger hole size less pressure, decreased amp load and higher GPM

For washing a car what is more important is flow not pressure because too much pressure will harm paint. You want your pressure to be in the range of 900-1200PSI. 

When you lower the pressure using a larger nozzle opening you also increase the GPM which is a good thing. More water rinses and cleans the car faster and also better. 

A lot of cheap washers might claim high PSI but low GPM which is not what you want because they might be using tips that are too restrictive to get those numbers or they are falsifying their figures basing it on surge PSI figures at the pump which is only for one second.  

Also there is an optimal limit where you can only adjust so far with a nozzle tip. 

There is a YouTube channel called Obsessive Garage which tested over 60 consumer pressure washers and found the best ones. A lot them were not putting out their claimed specs and when he added larger opening tips to bring the pressure down and the GPM up they had poor output except a few.  Also some of the newer pressure washers might have tested well but they use proprietary fitting which might require adaptors so when you add it up it becomes more expensive and not worth it. 

Out of all the cheap pressure washers the reviewer tested he came to the conclusion that the Karcher-K1700 was the best one because with a 3.0 tip it produced 1000 PSI @ 1.45 GPM which is really good at its price point. It tested better than Karcher higher end pressure washers in the same line and the new K series. It's also the cheapest and with their 3 year replacement warranty it cant be beat.  Most of the low end consumer pressure washers are non serviceable and they have a rating of 100 hours. For a home owner that is about 3-5 years.

Here are some of the other accessories I purchased to convert the pressure washer into a system. The accessories that come with the consumer pressure washers are garbage.

1. Quick connects. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C6HYRV6Z?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

2. Hose 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018H74H74?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

3. Gun

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C4454Z5K?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

4. Tips

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C4XLHD5L?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

5. Foam Canon. Make sure to replace the nozzle to the 1.1 mm 

https://www.amazon.com/TriNova-Cannon-Gallon-Detailing-Trucks/dp/B072JNQQY9/ref=sxin_14_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.d17ca69f-1a39-4f7d-a62f-e5dff4cfd6d8%3Aamzn1.sym.d17ca69f-1a39-4f7d-a62f-e5dff4cfd6d8&crid=NY5F7WM7SO9Y&cv_ct_cx=foam+cannon&keywords=foam+cannon&pd_rd_i=B072JNQQY9&pd_rd_r=fb44c8e0-1a65-4de1-8cda-9fe38d875507&pd_rd_w=i6kqR&pd_rd_wg=Nisij&pf_rd_p=d17ca69f-1a39-4f7d-a62f-e5dff4cfd6d8&pf_rd_r=2KPMDQPVFFSWM21PMN92&qid=1702570784&s=hi&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=foam+ca%2Ctools%2C66&sr=1-4-364cf978-ce2a-480a-9bb0-bdb96faa0f61-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&psc=1

This post was modified 5 months ago 3 times by dev
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2023 12:24 pm
marsrock7 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@dev my son has recently brought up starting a little pressure washing business to earn himself some pocket money so your research may be of benefit rather soon. I have a little Ryobi electric one that does well enough around the house but if he's washing for income he should probably have a better machine available. 

I think we may start out renting a good washer when multiple jobs are lined up and see how it goes. If he takes it seriously I will probably present him with the business decision of renting vs owning, and potentially utilizing credit to own if he goes that way. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2023 2:12 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Over the past week or so the pocket organizer has been fantastic. Every time I leave the house this kit goes in my front right pocket, instead of 6+ individual items that I would make a futile attempt to sit cleanly in my pocket. Time saved. I can get all the exterior items in and out of my pocket by feel. Every item is in the exact same place every time I reach for it. No more digging around in the "pocket granola"... Time saved. No more adjusting that "pocket granola" when I sit, stand, crawl, turn around too fast, cough, walk, run, make manly adjustments or even just think about how uncomfortable all the junk in my pocket is. Time saved. I must be saving at least a minute per day.... That's over 6 hours a year added back to my life. I've got big plans for that time. The opportunities are endless! /s

Jokes aside... This thing feels like a large wallet in my pocket now instead of the jumbled mess of items it used to be. I didn't really recognize how bad it was until i tried the organizer. There's no going back. Over the past year I was previously cutting down on my pocket tools because of the bulk, discomfort, and inability to get the item I needed out of my pocket in a timely fashion. This organizer has allowed me to carry items I had previously culled from my EDC, find them faster, and carry them more comfortably. Can't recommend it enough. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2023 2:42 pm
Uncle Mush and dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

@dev my son has recently brought up starting a little pressure washing business to earn himself some pocket money so your research may be of benefit rather soon. I have a little Ryobi electric one that does well enough around the house but if he's washing for income he should probably have a better machine available. 

I think we may start out renting a good washer when multiple jobs are lined up and see how it goes. If he takes it seriously I will probably present him with the business decision of renting vs owning, and potentially utilizing credit to own if he goes that way. 

What I have outlined is the way to go for the best value from all of my research but I could not help getting sucked into the higher end.

One of the best electric pressure washers on the market is the German  Kranzle because it has serviceable parts that can last a long time with some maintenance items. It also puts out 2 GPM. 

However the Active company has come out with a revolutionary pump that can work on a 15amp circuit that also puts out 2 GPM and its ridiculous low price of $350. I would have him look at this one and although it is not serviceable like the Kranzle it will last 200 hours which is good if he decides to do more cars. I plan to upgrade to this once the Karcher gives up which I am sure they will have something better that also has the output of 2GPM. The good thing is the rest of my investment in hoses and such will transfer over. 

I do have to say that I am very impressed the first time I pressure washed my car without using a wash mitt. Using the foam cannon and then rinsing the car cleaned 90% of it and it looks better than the automated car washes I was using.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 14, 2023 3:43 pm
Uncle Mush and marsrock7 reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Posted by: @dev

Pressure washer research for those that are interested in knowing what to buy. 

Great write-up Dev!  Thanks for your research and for sharing it here with us.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 16, 2023 1:38 am
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

One last product. I bought a new foam cannon from Griots Garage. I bought a cheap $20 one to get started and it's already falling apart because it is poorly design however the one I listed should be good quality.

My objective for this project is to stop going to car washes because they are just too expensive as the prices have gone up but having to bucket wash my big car is not easy and is a real pain unlike the Spyder. The shampoo has to be applied in sections and then rinsed from body panels otherwise it will dry up and leave behind soap scum. If the car is really dirty it takes a lot more effort to go over areas with the mitt. 

The foam cannon disperses a thick foamy coat that stays wet and has a lot of hang time which emulsifies dirt and contamination to lift it from the surface. This makes the process of cleaning the car so much faster however in order to get the foam cannon to work you need to have a dilution ratio of one part shampoo to a certain part of water and then mixed well. This ratio needs to be experimented with at the right ratio get the desired result.  I do not have time for all this.

What the Griots Garage foam cannon does is revolutionary and is the only one that can accept the concentrate right out of the bottle and can meter it.  It also has inner threads to attach to a car shampoo bottle and feed directly from it.  It turns out that using it this way actually makes good foaming suds and it also saves shampoo. This should make the whole process easy with a lot less mess and clean up.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F1Z22L4/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2023 11:54 am
Page 45 / 48
Share: