The random chat thr...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The random chat thread for throwing out things that don't matter

Page 32 / 48
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I am a former pilot.  I have no fears about flying in a commercial aircraft because of the rigorous safety measures taken -- both for airframe and powerplant and pilot skill.  Like many practices, flying is very safe BUT it is also very unforgiving when something goes wrong, whether that be mechanical or pilot error.  To some degree, if I wanted to bet on better odds of surviving in an aircraft disaster, the chances of surviving a small, propeller powered aircraft emergency are much better than larger more powerful aircraft emergency simply because there are more choices of where to land a little bird than a larger or more powerful aircraft that have a shorter/faster glide slope.  I suppose it is easy (human nature) to become complacent about piloting if someone is flying often because it is so rare that something goes horribly wrong if taking all the appropriate precautions and that complacency can kill.  I know that I quit flying when I realized that I was not putting enough hours in on a regular basis to stay proficient.  I simply could not afford to fly often enough based on my financial priorities at that time in my life.  It was a no-brainer decision.  It has been decades since I have piloted an aircraft.  Could I go back out and fly one today?  If all I had to do was take off and land, yes I think I could still do that safely.  Could I safely interface with the tower, ATC, other aircraft, etc and not be totally distracted, no I could not.  Nor would I think I would have my wits about me to constantly scan the instruments and the ground looking for a place to put the aircraft down safely in the case of a forced landing.  Sooooo . . . the skies are much friendlier with me reading a magazine in coach class than sitting in the left seat up front. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2021 6:40 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Thats an interesting perspective UM.

More information has come out since and it appears that the pilot was clearly confused and disoriented well before he took a dive.  This is based on his flight pattern. Some speculation is there that he might have had a stoke. There was an incident about a month ago ago where a commercial pilot died while flying and the co-pilot took over did an emergency landing.  It's possible that these kind of things are rare with commercial flights because of co-pilots. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 18, 2021 8:38 am
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

@dev 

Yes.  Two heads are better than one.  That is one of the things that amazes me about some of the smaller private jets -- some of them permit only one pilot onboard while other birds require two pilots.  I don't know anything about those kinds of regulations.  Still, it seems odd to me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 18, 2021 10:27 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

A drunk driver hopped a curb at an insane speed and plowed into both my cars in my driveway. They were parked directly in front of the garage door, one on each side of the dividing line in the center. 

IMG 20211108 030203
IMG 20211108 064217
IMG 20211112 160429

Mazda is done, both wheels locked up. The side that hit the Lexus has the wheel angled at 45 degrees back. Impact even killed the SD card in my dashcam. They wrote her off on the spot and the tow truck took her away. Lexus is being taken to a body shop, but might be a write off as the front left wheel hit a stone step and looks crooked. 

Luckily they did arrest the guy who did it, he drove off but I got his plate. Still, two of my cars being totaled in a year and a half. Two cars I loved. I'm really upset, and really tired of it. There isn't a single Mazda 3 with a manual and red interior within 100 miles of me, and those that are automatic or black interiors are going for substantially over MSRP (even when used) so I might not get a car to replace it. Back to daily driving the MR2? 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 13, 2021 8:31 pm
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Yeah that's close, though I prefer the other gray. But that's in LA and $1k over MSRP. I vow never to pay over MSRP for a car, ever!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 14, 2021 8:33 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Oh, man!  So sorry to hear about your losses.  That just totally sucks! My heart goes out to you. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2021 8:38 pm
T-bone
(@t-bone)
Prominent Member

ouch! I hope the driver has is license taken away.

In other news a childhood friend decided to check out! I am despondent with grief. His poor family is devastated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 15, 2021 4:50 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

My condolences dude

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 16, 2021 3:43 am
grumpy and T-bone reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Ouch @haloruler64! I cant imagine how frustrating this incident is for you...

My toy was hit while parked on the street near work last weekend. It is so little damage in comparison to your catastrophe, but I feel a small smidge of your pain. 

20211205 123256

The salt in my wound is the driver didn't bother to leave his info. Good 'ol hit and run. I didn't even notice before I left the scene. Only checked when I got home because the front left tire was suddenly scraping in turns. Working on getting security footage from work, it won't be clear enough for a plate thou. Extra salt added myself... My dashcam was laying in the passenger footwell. I could kick myself! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2021 12:16 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Merry Christmas y'all . . . and for those of you not into Christmas, Happy Holidays!  Here's wishing us all the very best for the holiday season and for a happy new year.  I am grateful for this forum and for all of you who contribute to this community.  Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2021 1:27 am
dev and CSPIDY reacted
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @uncle-mush

Merry Christmas y'all . . . and for those of you not into Christmas, Happy Holidays!  Here's wishing us all the very best for the holiday season and for a happy new year.  I am grateful for this forum and for all of you who contribute to this community.  Thank you.

“Festivis for the rest of us”

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2021 8:40 am
dev and Uncle Mush reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)
Posted by: @cspidy
Posted by: @uncle-mush

“Festivis for the rest of us”

Oh, the pure joy of raising an aluminum pole and the airing of grievances.  It does my heart good.  LOL!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2021 11:08 am
dev and CSPIDY reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Hey, y'all.  I'm just bumping this thread to the top to wish you the merriest/bestest whatever holiday you celebrate this time of the year.  For me, personally, that would be Christmas.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 24, 2021 7:12 pm
grumpy, dev and CSPIDY reacted
(@grumpy)
Reputable Member

I tend to like all holidays and celabrations.  I care less what is celebrated as long as it is fun...even Satanism can be fun...depending on how many she-devils show up 😎  

Blown, it is like lift, only bigger, better, longer, stronger, harder... and that’s just the car. The first Rotrex supercharged 2zz Spyder.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 28, 2021 9:52 pm
dev reacted
Page 32 / 48
Share: