Probably the best S...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Probably the best Spyder article I have read.

Page 2 / 3
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @dev
Posted by: @petrus

@dev

Eeven though the original TTE kit is old shoes now, both in state of the art and years, I would not mind fitting one. As you say it is quíte enough extra oompf.

Unless you are getting it for cheap its just better to get one of the available aftermarket turbo kits.  There is no doubt that the TTE kit is quality but I feel that its not great value compared to what is our there.  

As I wrote ´old shoes now´  but unfortunately TRD/TTE homologatied stuff is the only kit possible to have approved road legal over here.

The only other option is old school chemical charging. NOx is tricky stuff though and I am not experienced with NitroMethane injection. On turbodiesels I have added butane injection and it worked a treat as those operate wih as much excess air as you like.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 18, 2019 3:48 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @dev

@dev

Eeven though the original TTE kit is old shoes now, both in state of the art and years, I would not mind fitting one. As you say it is quíte enough extra oompf.

Unless you are getting it for cheap its just better to get one of the available aftermarket turbo kits.  There is no doubt that the TTE kit is quality but I feel that its not great value compared to what is our there.  

As I wrote ´old shoes now´  but unfortunately TRD/TTE homologatied stuff is the only kit possible to have approved road legal over here.

The only other option is old school chemical charging. NOx is tricky stuff though and I am not experienced with NitroMethane injection. On turbodiesels I have added butane injection and it worked a treat as those operate wih as much excess air as you like.

That sucks. The worst I have in my state is emissions every two years and hopefully next year I will be exempt.  In some other states its yearly car inspections and the worst is CA. 

I think going forward having a vintage car is a better deal. No point in buying new if they are going to keep raising fees and more inspections. 

I need to get my historic tags soon as they were initially trying to pass a provision of having my car inspected before I qualify but it was taken out .  Knowing how bad my state is on firearms I don't trust them and they could change it.  I feel sorry for Virginia as people that were trying to escape Marylands gun laws are now going to get the worst of it and it might actually be the worst in the country. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 18, 2019 4:31 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member
Posted by: @lordtakuban
Posted by: @haloruler64

I really look forward to fitting my modified Power Enterprise turbo kit when the time is right. Little ball bearing IHI turbo should be a blast.

It is.  I am also running a modified PE kit and have been for a while.  I have my boost set to 8psi where if I get any creep, it may go to 10psi and still be safe on stock internals. 

Very nice! I was planning on 7-8 PSI. What boost controller are you running? I'd love some more details on your setup. I have MOST of it ready to go but not all of it. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 18, 2019 5:21 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

We have emissions every year in Georgia, but only in the Metro counties near Atlanta.  Vehicles over 8500 pounds or 25 years of age are exempt. 

The standards here are looser than California's though.  As long as the CEL isn't on, you're pretty much going to pass.  The place I go to is only $15 for inspection and you get a free car wash or $8 off an oil change in the same day.  Or you can get the car wash first, and take $8 off either an oil change or inspection.  

Of course I don't let them wash my Spyder, but I take all our cars there because... well... cheap.

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2019 8:52 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @pwnzor

We have emissions every year in Georgia, but only in the Metro counties near Atlanta.  Vehicles over 8500 pounds or 25 years of age are exempt. 

The standards here are looser than California's though.  As long as the CEL isn't on, you're pretty much going to pass.  The place I go to is only $15 for inspection and you get a free car wash or $8 off an oil change in the same day.  Or you can get the car wash first, and take $8 off either an oil change or inspection.  

Of course I don't let them wash my Spyder, but I take all our cars there because... well... cheap.

They really need to lighten up on the emissions testing across the board. At one time it was a problem but these days with odb2 and the lack of ricers there is no need for it. The maker should be emission tested not us.   I would say commercial vehicles should be but on the whole cars made after 2000 are self regulating because of the CEL and there are only a few idiots that will drive like that and eventually kill their cars in the process. Most of the older cars prior to 2000 are rare  and now its a big joke.   

This whole thing about pollution is way over blown when you consider most people just drive these days are not trying to fool inspectors but they will continue to do so because of contracts aka corruption  milking citizens of money.  Most cars have a 8 year emission warranty so its not like anyone is going to benefit.  

If they really cared they would be on the side of conservation and offering incentives to keep older things working, incentivize  car makers to make cars that last and punish manufactures that make unreliable cars.   

I seen a documentary where a recycler  was being sued by Microsoft because his goal was to make working computers for the poor rather than have the junk sold to third world countries where they burn them.  All he did was get the recovery CD working which is what comes with the original  Dell computer. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 21, 2019 3:27 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

I drove my CRX out here from California, and was waiting for it's 25th birthday to register it so I could be exempt...

We were about 3 weeks away from the target date, when it fell victim to the Y-49 curse.

33afba190b3ce3d7cabffa1ab884b3822bef08e8 1

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2019 7:36 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@pwnzor

Aww man.... That's heartbreaking. Such a clean looking Rex too... As one would expect of any vehicle in your care...

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2019 8:20 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

I hadn't previously heard of the Y49 curse, I suppose because my first Honda was an EK Civic. Looked it up and found this amusing example on honda-tech that i felt compelled to share:

Re: y49 curse/mystique? (Tyson)

I've never had an error with Firefox. While posting this on my first attempt. it locked up now I have to rewrite. Coincidence I think not.

I've never owned a y-49, nor will I ever. I've had friends that have, and have had nothing, but problems.

Seven years ago at Niagara 6 we were driving home from the meet, and of the 8 crxes with us. The only y-49 car blew it's diff in the middle of Buffalo in the ghetto. The next weekend we towed it to my house with a car dolly, changed the tranny, and got stopped for street racing later that night. He is no longer into CRXes, the curse must have drained him of ambition. I loved that car, it was my all time favorite y-49 so I will post the pic below.

Another friend of mine bought a y-49 and was driving it home, and the wheel cylinder broke a block away from the house he bought it from. Then a tow truck came, and it's wheel cylinder broke while loading the car. So then 2 more tow trucks were needed. The curse went outside..... He since then had several other problems, and eventually destroyed the car with a sawzall to prevent future problems.

About 2 months ago Toad calls me up stranded. His car won't run some kind of voltage issue. I rescue him with my jump box, and we remove his 2 week old alternator took it to autozone and it tested dead. Killed by the curse.

A week ago I was at G0crxG0's house, and we recorded my KRX vids. Notice in the out of car vid, my brake light on the driver's side was out. It worked that morning. When I was at his house the curse from his car blew my bulb. Yeah whatever you say, but Ironicly the same bulb was out on his car. Don't park to close to a y-49 guys.

Micheal Jackson Bought a y-49 CRX after his "Bad" Album. Then he became a pediphile freakshow, and released "Dangerous" in 1992. The begining of the end of his career. Coincidence I think not.

The curse is real. You are kidding yourself if you refuse to beleive in it. I'm sure if you wrote the President of Honda asking why there was no 91 y-49 he would recall clearly the day the Department of Public Safety shut down the importation, and registration of yellow CRXes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2019 8:31 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Almost sounds like "old car with cheap AutoZone parts breaks, CURSED!" I mean yeah an AutoZone alternator died in 2 weeks, that's generally what they do. Bulb out? 90% of Kias 2010 and up have a bulb out now. I mean, the CRX is an ancient car! 

its also a filthy honda and all of them are cursed

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2019 9:06 pm
pwnzor reacted
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

That picture didnt look too bad. I mean, thats a big tree, but I think for most of that damage, it should just buff right out.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 23, 2019 1:49 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @haloruler64

its also a filthy honda and all of them are cursed

That filthy cursed vehicle got me from California to Georgia in record time while getting 44mpg the whole way.  And it was leaking fuel the whole time while getting that mileage!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 24, 2019 8:48 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

@pwnzor

filthy honda

That being said, I am a big filthy Honda fan. I adore the CRX.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 24, 2019 4:23 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@haloruler64

Amen on the filthy Honda fan! My 2007 S2000 (bought it new) is about to cross the 400,000 mile mark, original engine and transmission (one destroyed differential). Still runs great, I bought a new F20C engine two years ago and it sits in a spare bedroom as backup!

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 24, 2019 9:38 pm
haloruler64 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Another positive article just popped up. First one I've seen that commends our level of storage space 🙄

https://jalopnik.com/why-ive-fallen-in-love-with-the-third-generation-toyota-1845073895

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 17, 2020 12:41 am
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I just read it and its was very good except for one part and that is the reference to the Corolla drivetrain which it is not. Thats ok because its a detail that not many from our group know.  I did read the comments and for the first time they were mostly positive. I image those that lusted after the MK2 who use to put down the Spyder have grown up.   

The only comment that irritated me was the backwards Corolla comment. The Spyder is not a backwards Corolla. The Spyder is its own car and has very little to do with a Corolla including a good number of interior switches. There are so many unique Spyder parts that its far from a parts bin car.  Its like saying a BMW five series is a big three series because they use the same window switches.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 17, 2020 10:22 am
Page 2 / 3
Share: