Probably the best S...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Probably the best Spyder article I have read.

Page 1 / 3
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

A lot of the YouTube video presenters and past web articles are full of misleading  misinformation because of lazy journalism.  

It’s nice to know someone did their homework.  

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/itsy-bitsy-spyder-last-mr2/ 
Topic starter Posted : December 15, 2019 11:05 am
scrmnchkn reacted
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

Dev, did you counsel the author of that article or are you really just using an alias.

very good read, I enjoyed it and read the entire article, very unusual for me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 15, 2019 12:42 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @cspidy

Dev, did you counsel the author of that article or are you really just using an alias.

very good read, I enjoyed it and read the entire article, very unusual for me.

In a weird way through universal consciousness I felt that I did because that is all I ever preached but then again who can argue with  opinions good or bad that is grounded in facts.   It seemed like to me an owner/ enthusiast or a person who consulted the right enthusiast did their homework and pooled the right sources.  

What is sad is some of the Spyders history is missing on the internets.  It was a real automotive journalist that interviewed the team at Toyota. It goes into great detail about the projects humbling beginnings and how it was kept under raps.  From what I remember the engineers were building a pure sports car and somewhere after the marketing department got involved they soften it up.  Also it is widely speculated that the 1ZZ was always favored because of its flat torque long stroke characteristics.  

They also were not trying to win any races on paper, it was all about driver enjoyment.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 15, 2019 1:40 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

Good find, thanks for sharing that

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 15, 2019 2:12 pm
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

Indeed Dev; an exception to the rule. Not particularly engaging writing but the author sure did a lot of ground work!!

A few thing stuck out for me:

2001: A small chin spoiler is added to eliminate the car’s tendency to wander at highway speeds.

2004Unibody reinforcements are added under the car, and the ride height is increased to improve crash test performance.

Also reinforcements in the B-pillar and sills. Reads like a good thing but it is listed as 25mm and it was quite a bit of metal added.

The increased ride hight confuses communications about lowering et al as the difference of 25mm is never ever taken into account. 

And lastly:

The TRD supercharger intended for the Matrix can be made to work in the Spyder—with some cutting of the firewall, the supercharger or both. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 16, 2019 3:09 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

All cars get slight revisions especially for wind noise and body integrity as the years go on and more styling revisions on the refresh.  Sometimes a cars introduction might squeak by with the promise of the manufacture to make certain safety changes in subsequent revisions and it might just be one market where the regulators want to be different causing the manufacture to change all of the cars.  I believe the Spyder could not be sold in Canada for this reason. 

As to the supercharger fitting, this is where the author went deep into his research.  The TRD supercharger needs the firewall to be cut because it interferes with the firewall. Another way to do this is to cut the plenum of the supercharger which is much harder to do.  Not many remember this from the old days.  
It doesn’t really matter because turbocharging is the better option for this car simply because It has several advantages.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 16, 2019 4:06 pm
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @dev

It doesn’t really matter because turbocharging is the better option for this car simply because It has several advantages.  

Mwah. 

I lóve the energy recycling principle of the exhaust gas driven turbo but nevertheless also see the advantages of a mechanical compressor. The only hot Yaris, the GRMN,  has a compressor too. Bottom line is that I would prefer one on my car to a turbo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 16, 2019 4:55 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

I know turbo is more effeceint, and generally better hp/$... I had previously planned to turbo my 2zz when I first got the car, but the blitz compressor practically fell in my lap and I couldn't pass. Always wanted a roots blower, completely infatuated with that sound. Not to mention the instantaneous peak boost, and reliability. I've been talking to a couple of blitz compressor owners and one of them has been nothing less than instrumental to make this project come to reality (thank you Blue Angel)... He's now has his Celica GTS supercharged with the Blitz kit for over 70k hard driven miles, with no major setbacks besides a few bolts working their way loose (locktite blue fix), 1 broken accessory mount, and belt changes every 10k (regular maintenance). In my book that's nearly factory level reliability.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 16, 2019 10:08 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I think superchargers can work well if that is the direction you choose but the reason why I say turbo is better is mainly because our exhaust manifold is completely exposed and dead simple to install which reduces the complexity of installation and service.  Supercharger for our car comes with their own unique challenges and additions which is fine if you are on top of it and willing to undertake the large amount of extra work and the risk of having to pull the engine out when things go wrong and they have especially with the TRD and some others in past builds that I have seen.  

The low boost turbo option on factory internals does very well and although it’s not a monster, the amount of torque increase for the reliability  and cost is just miles ahead compared to many  other options especially when you can use a piggyback and factory ECU. Not to say you can’t do so with a supercharger but the turbo kit  has been perfected with lots of support.  

I entertained the idea of using the Greddy supercharger because it seemed like it would be easy but after looking someone’s build it was a nightmare to fit.  If a turbo starts leaking oil it’s very easy to replace the unit and off late turbo tech has improved  and you have lots of  newer options to choose from as they become available.  Except for the rotrex which has its own issues you are stuck with specific older hardware. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 17, 2019 11:47 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

Speaking of which, I wonder how @pattielipp is making out with his turbo project. He was going for a low-boost upgrade, right?

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 17, 2019 12:01 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I don’t remember the details of his turbo upgrade.  I do know that the low boost quick spooling turbo is very nice and should satisfy anyone.  This includes bang for the buck, reliability and easy install for the home mechanic that doesn’t have to have a old man who is television repairman that has  got this ultimate set of tools. It really is the right amount of power and if it was any faster it would be too much car. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 17, 2019 2:35 pm
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

@dev

Eeven though the original TTE kit is old shoes now, both in state of the art and years, I would not mind fitting one. As you say it is quíte enough extra oompf.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 18, 2019 7:07 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I really look forward to fitting my modified Power Enterprise turbo kit when the time is right. Little ball bearing IHI turbo should be a blast.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 18, 2019 9:09 am
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin
Posted by: @haloruler64

I really look forward to fitting my modified Power Enterprise turbo kit when the time is right. Little ball bearing IHI turbo should be a blast.

It is.  I am also running a modified PE kit and have been for a while.  I have my boost set to 8psi where if I get any creep, it may go to 10psi and still be safe on stock internals. 

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 18, 2019 12:29 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @petrus

@dev

Eeven though the original TTE kit is old shoes now, both in state of the art and years, I would not mind fitting one. As you say it is quíte enough extra oompf.

Unless you are getting it for cheap its just better to get one of the available aftermarket turbo kits.  There is no doubt that the TTE kit is quality but I feel that its not great value compared to what is our there.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 18, 2019 12:49 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: