Not a Spyder, but s...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Not a Spyder, but still a great MR2 story

pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

I thought this was worth watching, and it shows the kind of integrity that still exists out there.  Rare, but it does exist.

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

Topic starter Posted : February 26, 2020 12:33 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I just finished watching the video. I know my opinion is going to be harsh so let me first state the good. 

Their promotional giveaway is a great way to bring in future business. Having them fix the issues with their giveaway  is something they are suppose to do and they lived up to it.  Unfortunately speed shops are notorious for unprofessionalism and screwing customers.  Its nice to see they love what they do. 

Now here is the bad.  

Their method of diagnosis was not very efficient. Call me cynical but I would have immediately suspected lower end and a spun bearing because that is the typical  sound it makes. 

Could it be something else like a pulley or throwout bearing, absolutely but they could have used a mechanics stethoscope to get them closer the problem, run some tests with engaging and disengaging the clutch, check for a bad pulley right from the start with removing the serpentine belt. Once that has been somewhat determined they could have either taken an oil sample and run a magnet though it as visual inspection is not enough, send it out for oil analysis or just drop the pan.  Most people just go for the jugular and drop the pan and check the bearings which is too early in the diagnosis but still better than their shot gun approach of disturbing the crime scene.  

The mechanic did seem sincere and genuine otherwise but their expertise in this area for being a speed shop is lacking.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 26, 2020 3:09 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

And it was a spun bearing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2020 12:49 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

This makes for an interesting discussion. It looks like the oil pump is fine and the other bearings look ok as well. 

Can anyone guess the number one thing that causes a spun bearings particularly from speed shops?

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2020 2:56 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

Oil starvation? I love the suspense and drama

no no friction and heat 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2020 5:04 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @cspidy

Oil starvation? I love the suspense and drama

no no friction and heat 

Detonation from a bad tune or various causes like bad injectors or running the tune too aggressively using a stand alone or alteration with the stock ECU without checking it. A hole in the piston or a broken rod is the extreme. Spun bearings are the norm that happens given enough time that is insidious. I do not think starvation was the cause and they didn't drive it long enough but its possible that someone else drove it really well before the new owner did and the damage occurred and then unveiled its self. 

This Toyota V6 is probably one of the most bullet proof designed engines on the planet and a spun bearing on a factory car is just unheard of. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2020 6:34 pm
CSPIDY reacted
Share: