Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Spyder Looks

Page 1 / 2
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

Please read with a permagrin.

Ok. I am really getting tired of people (even Spyder owners) saying that our cars are ugly and just an ugly frog. I prefer the term "cute".

We have the green nottamiata frog:

We have the blue phats frog: (love the gulf colors)

Now toads are really ugly:

especially the ones with a booty implant:

(all do respects to the toads of the world)

(and all apologies to nottamiata and phats for using their names)

Topic starter Posted : March 6, 2020 12:18 pm
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

I really don't have people calling my spyders ugly frogs or even cute .... except my Mom , even thou I made the list . lol 

But I have to say I really like the ones with booty implants .... I'm going to use the one above for inspiration for my " porsche body kit project " . 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2020 12:47 pm
pwnzor and neomr2 reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

I must say that I was feeling a little left out, so I have added my own LOL

White reed frog (6377037007)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2020 6:14 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

It’s usually the comments coming from Reddit, YouTube and somebody else’s car forum.  It’s usually mixed in with the MK2 being the best looking and the Spyder the worst.  It was never respected on MR2 forums especially for its looks and it’s not like people left it at that as it was constantly trolled. This is the best part of the ownership because it was the ultimate jerk deterrent although a few slipped through the cracks. 

There is no denying that the Spyder has controversial lines and is a bit of an ugly duck. 
  Once you get the TRD stage 1 kit that changes for the better and looks like a different car. I can’t fill up with gas without someone striking up a conversion because it’s so far removed from its timeline that it has been forgotten and something unique when people see it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2020 8:20 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

I get nothing but compliments on my car, and mostly people keep asking me if it's a Porsche.

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 6, 2020 9:21 pm
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

OOH. A white frog. glad you found that. I wouldn't want you to feel left out. I wonder if they are the fastest frog ??

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 6, 2020 11:17 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @mrsponz

OOH. A white frog. glad you found that. I wouldn't want you to feel left out. I wonder if they are the fastest frog ??

It's obvious that a silver frog would be fastest. 

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 7, 2020 12:31 am
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Made me smile really big when I read this!  That's funny!  I am honored that you remembered my mantra about 040 Super White was named that for a reason -- historically the fastest color that Toyota ever created and remains that to this day.  1DO is a close second, but 040 remains the fastest!  

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 7, 2020 11:20 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @uncle-mush

Made me smile really big when I read this!  That's funny!  I am honored that you remembered my mantra about 040 Super White was named that for a reason -- historically the fastest color that Toyota ever created and remains that to this day.  1DO is a close second, but 040 remains the fastest!  

If you want to get technical white is quiet possibly the heaviest. Why I know this is from a long two hour friendly conversation with my paint supplier picking his brain and just killing time.  

It turns out that the metallic  paints are heavy because they either use lead oxide or iron oxide in the paint but still white is the heaviest because it has titanium dioxide. Black is actually the lightest and the softest.  Next up would be between the red and yellow which is also not very durable either. 

How much of a difference is there I don't really know but its probably 10lbs of paint to do the entire car.  

White is an excellent color for durability. Its hard, chip resistant and doesn't give the appearance of being faded from the sun. 

If you ever wondered why they never painted the external rocket booster on the space shuttle it wasn't just  for cost it was  also for weight savings.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 7, 2020 12:28 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

I’m not seeing the frog in the Spyder,

that said, perhaps because mine is red.

I do find that the best view of any Spyder is from the drivers seat

and thus may explain the dislike some people may have for our little runabouts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 7, 2020 12:49 pm
dev reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

I agree. When I am driving I don't see the headlights or taillights, just my permagrin if I glance into the rear view mirror.

That being said, there is a little bit of resemblance. 😊 Especially when you blackout the headlights !!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 7, 2020 4:22 pm
CSPIDY reacted
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Esteemed colleagues . . .

Although it is true that 040 Super White may be heavier and contains titanium dioxide, the titanium dioxide is not the heaviest element in that specific paint formula, nor is it what makes 040 Super White the fastest color Toyota has developed.  It is actually the liquified flux capacitor (Gazoo et. al. 1999) that adds an additional 73.5 BHP (at the wheels) that makes 040 Super White the fastest paint possible.  The reason why this is not possible with other paint colors is because of the titanium dioxide.  Liquified flux capacitor is only able to bond with titanium dioxide and no other coloring agents in the spectrum are able to bond with the liquified flux capacitor. 

Toyota attempted to incorporate titanium dioxide in other color schemes, such as paradise blue and even yellow -- thinking that the addition of titanium dioxide to lighten those colors would make it possible to increase BHP in those colors, but it turns out that the titanium dioxide ratio in those blended colors was not sufficient for the liquified flux capacitor to bond with those coloring agents and in the tests that they ran, it caused rapid deterioration of the test colors because of the inability of the color agents to bond sufficiently with the flux capacitor.  Toyota even attempted to use 040 Super White as primer coat for red, mica blue, both silver colors and green, but alas, each time they did so, the paint deteriorated rapidly due to the inability of those coloring agents to bond with the flux capacitor in the primer coat. 

Toyota recently published that they are working on a new technology that may make it possible to incorporate liquified flux capacitor with other coloring agents, but it is not expected that technology will be perfected for another 30-40 years and by that time I will be dead and no longer care that there will be additional colors to rival my 040 Super White MR2 Spyder.  Therefore, 040 Super White is and will remain the fastest color Toyota will have produced in my lifetime.  End of argument.  Drop the mic.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 7, 2020 7:03 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

If you want to get even more technical, white cars are considered to be more efficient and have a lower carbon foot print.  How significant is this you may ask. A study showed that its significant enough that CA was actually thinking of banning new black cars.  How ridiculous but true. I need a bumper sticker that reads “my car kills polar bears”. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2020 12:31 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

#savethemanuals

#whocaresaboutpolarbears

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 8, 2020 12:49 am
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

@uncle-mush