I’m getting ear plu...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

I’m getting ear plugs. My exhaust is too loud.

Page 2 / 2
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Im still waiting on my engine mount and there has been an interesting development.  My tinnitus was getting worse yesterday, so bad I could not concentrate. For the last week or so I could feel pressure on my left ear which I was treating using ear cleaner drops and a washer I bought from the drug store because it feels like impacted wax.  I couldn't find the one I bought two years ago so I re-bought a generic Walgreens  version that contains the same chemical as more expensive stuff.  It wasn't working well after multiple cleanings and just by chance I found the misplaced name brand stuff, I tried it today and it worked like magic. 

The product is Debrox.  My tinnitus is mostly gone and I think that is due to the tinnitus to noise ratio. Im going to enjoy the rest of the day. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 24, 2020 3:48 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

I've been using peroxide for a few years to keep the ears clean. Also will cure most ear infections in a couple of days. Glad the hear (pun intended) the tinnitus is in check.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 24, 2020 4:17 pm
dev reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

That fizzy feeling in your ear is actually so pleasant to me!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 24, 2020 6:10 pm
marsrock7 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @haloruler64

That fizzy feeling in your ear is actually so pleasant to me!

The fizzy feeling in my ear is so pleasant to you? Creepy... 🙄

Tickles the brain!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 24, 2020 7:19 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I'm an oddball. I like it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 24, 2020 8:24 pm
CSPIDY and marsrock7 reacted
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

I have the 2zz with full PPE header to tip (duals). I run MAF and air filter behind battery using Cobb/Amsoil.  I use semi-modified urethane bushings on the front / rear mounts (thanks Marsrock7).  I have had 3 traumatic brain injuring impacts and my tinitis is related primarily to those (and it appears/increases dramatically with fatigue), but after an hour of driving, it is accentuated by the mods above.  The vibration from the mounts is a minor annoyance like when someone sits at the table with a restless leg. The issue there seems to be mostly because the heavier self-dimming mirror doesn't stay in place for long and is hard to see clearly out of. The exhaust itself is loud-ish, but not trauma-loud, especially when I drive it with spirit. The top up (hard top or soft) creates a shell-over-the-ear effect. Overall, the mod that I would like to investigate is the isolation or re-direction of noise created by the header and mufflers themselves (almost as though it were the sound and air movement within these two). I did see, long ago, a picture of a three-sided box attached to the head/valve cover area extending over the header. I reason that if I can capture/re-direct the noise created by the header back to the heat shield (the one we put tools on over the muffler), I could eliminate a good deal of the sound exiting the motor in cabin direction. Essentially the effort is to redirected that sound backward away from the cabin.  The issues are that the low frequency can only be handled by heavy dense insulation which would also lessen the heat created within the engine compartment by the headers. But the method to craft/attach the barrier with metal, then insulate, is beyond my material knowledge and access. Just to finish the thoughts, keep in mind that the high tinny sound can be handled by simple barriers.  The more dense your insulation, the lower in the frequency range it blocks. For that boomy exhaust note you need thicker gauge lead. For sound you can design barriers to redirect a good part of it.

Preachy boy here....hearing injuries are cumulative. The damage you create today only recovers a percentage tomorrow.  I give landscapers crap when they don't wear ear protection. And I give the same crap to you. If nothing else, put the little foam plugs in. My dad, a classical musician, lost a better part of his hearing as he aged. It tortured everyone, mostly him.  All said, I don't wear hearing protection in my car, but I always wear protection using landscape equipment. Again, though, my car isn't THAT loud.  Or at least I don't think it is based on my hearing...

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 11:31 am
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

Done a lot of in hindsight stupid things also suffered a lot of coincidal accidents. Have a serious beep in my head mainly because of a lorry trailer clobbering my helmet from behind, launching me head first into a tree and the oher one being a brain fry because of a too high fever. The base level of the beep is the level of a fridge alarm at 1 meter from the fridge. Tiring is not the world and still it keeps me awake.

If the car exhaust would bother me, I would mount a better muffler. Nicer to the rest of the world too no?!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 29, 2020 4:18 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

With the new motor mount vibration is better controlled as that was obvious. The boom is still there at low rpms  but it goes away now between 3-4k rpms which is much better and quieter.  Exhaust is still loud but now I can actually hear its character which is just fantastic. I can hear the pulses and the nasty nature like an old school race engine. I just wish it was quieter but with the same tone but that is not possible.  

One interesting thing to report. After removing the urethane mount that great shifting feel is reduced. There is a penalty for this but I have no choice. Who ever gets my used urethane mount will be rewarded.   

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 30, 2020 9:00 pm
scotched
(@scotched)
Estimable Member

A very expensive way to solve the noise problem is to install a hardtop.

When I had the hardtop + soft top folded down inside, the car was as quiet as it's ever been.  

scottsmods.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 31, 2020 11:58 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I think the hardtop would make it worse only because its louder when I use the soft top and it gets amplified. Its the drone of the exhaust which enters in the cabin. Maybe one day I will just say goodby to the Team Moon and use something else. 

I think there is more to this hearing issue as it came back a day after I thought it was resolved. Its primarily my left ear and now I strongly believe its  due my eustachian tube is being blocked from my pollen allergies.  I have to wait until it is resolved.  If so its good news.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 1, 2020 8:28 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

The hardtop makes the Team Moon much quieter. And you can no longer hear the pops clearly. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2020 11:37 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: