Canon 35L@f2 1/8000

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 18, 2022 10:49 am
Uncle Mush and CSPIDY reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Some Art Deco and the best photo of the event.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 18, 2022 3:16 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member
Posted by: @dev

Stickers are not just for ricers.  

Model A, nice pic

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 18, 2022 6:34 pm
Uncle Mush and dev reacted
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

Model A with a 32 grill really kool

very nice pic

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 18, 2022 6:36 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @cspidy

Model A with a 32 grill really kool

very nice pic

Thanks. 

I fixed it as it was off.  When I was at the car show I went back to take a picture of another vintage auto and noticed someone parked a modern car next to it and it ruined the photograph.  It then dawned on me that cars were far more beautiful than they are now. 

Canon 35L@f2 1/1600

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 19, 2022 9:13 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

This old camera is now going to be my primary camera. It has a look that I cant get out of any modern digital camera. It is the closest to film.

Canon 35L@ f1.8 1/500

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 20, 2022 2:17 pm
Uncle Mush reacted
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

Nice pictures from the car show. Can you give us the ISO, f/stop and shutter speed from some of these photos?

I would love to see the same photos taken with a "high end" digital SLR so we could see exactly what you are referring to. Of course it would have to be with the same lens and settings.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 20, 2022 5:07 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @mrsponz

Nice pictures from the car show. Can you give us the ISO, f/stop and shutter speed from some of these photos?

I would love to see the same photos taken with a "high end" digital SLR so we could see exactly what you are referring to. Of course it would have to be with the same lens and settings.

Absolutely. Basically all were shot at base ISO 100. 

I used manly three lenses. Canon 35L f1.4, 50L f1.2  and Canon fisheye .  Most of the images were shot between f1.4-f2 . I will go back and edit my posts with the f stop.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2022 10:58 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I wanted to give you a good explanation but there are so many variables of why it would be hard to do a direct comparison.  I would also need a modern Canon full frame but I can kind of give you what I am seeing with a long explanation.  

Let me first say that I did not form my opinions from watching a video or reading someones camera blog however I come to find out that I am not the only one that sees it. I knew when I upgraded to the 5D mk2 something wasn't quiet right but I dismissed it because of the power of suggestion from consensus that the newer camera has superior image quality which is does but not really. It was around 2014 when I was having a conversation with a photography friend that also upgraded when he mentioned incidentally that some of his best photos were from the 5D classic. I told him that I also felt the same way but we dismissed it because its an old camera that has a poor review screen and other things so we were moving on.

As I upgraded to other successor higher megapixel cameras in the Canon 5D line it became worse. I noticed that Fujifilm were bringing back the film look with their Xtrans sensors to mimic the way film renders along with using their famous film stock filters. It was a step in the right direction but it still wasn't the same thing as film or my previous original 5D. I was basically trying to find the 5D classic look in a modern mirrorless camera and although it was nice it still wasn't quiet there and then I was told one of the older Fujifilm cameras (Xpro1) has that look and after seeing image samples I liked them but then I had a realization of why am I chasing the 5D classic look, why don't I just buy a used 5D classic and observe for myself if its just in my head or if there is something to this. I did just that and I could not be more happy with the result.

As far as getting the "look" its not as simple as taking photos with the camera. Jpegs will look very average and the raw output will look lifeless because it needs to be developed. This makes it very difficult to compare camera vs camera using the same settings and processing recipes because they are diamonds in the rough. You dont know what you got until you get the potential out of the raw files for post processing and the final result.
When you shoot RAW with this camera it starts with an optimized image capture. The 5D classic needs to be pushed so it exposes half to one stop more so the sensor is saturated and then manipulated in post for its image detail and quality. The problem with that is, its very easy to blow the highlights. Every camera is different in which to get the best out of it during capture by coaxing it for the final result. This is why you will have so much agreement, disagreement and controversy because some photographers are not skilled enough to understand how to get the best from their images but are automatically a self proclaimed YouTube expert presenter pushing the latest gear and newer technology because it allows them to get it wrong in camera and are able to add exposure without any penalties seen with older gear than using hard core photography principles for capturing light. A salt of the earth photographer will look at image capture as a set of data points for the final result during post processing. A self proclaimed pro will look at his image capture from the back of his screen and see how nice it is.

It would be very difficult to show the difference between images but I will try.

Here are two images of the same car. The problem with this comparison is it was taken at different focal lengths, different sensor sizes and with different lighting however if you keep an open mind then if I had taken the same image with same lens at the same aperture with both cameras and I processed them to their potentials the essential look would not change all that much for demonstration purposes of showing the more modern look vs the older filmic look. Keep in mind that the sensor from the GFX is not Xtrans. The Xtrans sensor is in my XT-1 and it looks very different with its own unique qualities.

Fujifilm GFX 50R 85L@f2.8
This is a good image taken by one of the best sensors on the market today for pure image quality. Its just different. This kind of look is seen with most modern digital cameras. Many people like it and so do I but for different reasons. It is superior the the 5D classic but in my subjective opinion I prefer the rendering from the 5D.

Canon 5D classic 50L@ f1.4
What I like about this Canon is a kind of analog rendering that is creamy with bold colors. It may not be as resolved as the GFX but it has an indelible unique filmic quality that sets it apart. It is harder to hit the sweet spot and it is not a versatile camera in lesser light for many uses where the GFX is far superior but it is still my preferred look.

I have more information in the next post.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2022 11:02 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

During the time of purchasing my 5D classic again I wanted to see if there was any reviewers or posts from photographers that have the same view. I did but I felt this video from an established wedding and landscape photographer describes it well. I agree with 90% of his summery but I disagree with his recommending this camera for a person starting out in photography unless they are willing to put in the effort understanding core principles of shooting film and being an experienced editor in the post process. The 5D classic can be a disappointment just as it was when it was first introduced and bought by consumers that want a high end camera to shoot family photos but become overwhelmed with mis-focused and over and underexposed Jpeg photos with the camera on the green auto mode.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2022 12:32 pm
(@mrsponz)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the explanation Dev. I fully comprehend how it would be really difficult to show the difference between the 5D and the Mk II. Not too many people want to walk around with two SLR's wrapped around their neck, and then all the post-processing involved - unless you're working on a Beginner's Guide or a "How To" article  for a Photo Magazine or you're writing a Photography Book. For some reason I thought you still had your Mk II. 

I can tell you that I was a better photographer with my old Nikon F2 than I am with my 7 year old Nikon D610. The D610 has made me a lazy photographer. I hate that. Maybe its time to dust off the old F2 and buy a roll of Kodak Kodachrome. Oh wait, never mind 😥 .

This post was modified 2 years ago by mrsponz
ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2022 3:12 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @mrsponz

Thanks for the explanation Dev. I fully comprehend how it would be really difficult to show the difference between the 5D and the Mk II. Not too many people want to walk around with two SLR's wrapped around their neck, and then all the post-processing involved - unless you're working on a Beginner's Guide or a "How To" article  for a Photo Magazine or you're writing a Photography Book. For some reason I thought you still had your Mk II. 

I can tell you that I was a better photographer with my old Nikon F2 than I am with my 7 year old Nikon D610. The D610 has made me a lazy photographer. I hate that. Maybe its time to dust off the old F2 and buy a roll of Kodak Kodachrome. Oh wait, never mind 😥 .

Im very happy you understand where I am coming from being a film photographer.  Back then as you know it was about the photography not the technology and specs. It was about your instincts of crafting the image in a long continuous feedback after development.  

In my soul searching I actually found what you might be looking for. I did not like the presenter because he was too wordy and the fact that you cant process both cameras the same way as he did however what he did show was there is a difference particularly the color.

The 5D classic is very different in the way in renders and there are many theories why that is. Some believe its the fat photo sites, weak low pass filter allowing more IR radiation and the most possible expiation is the stronger color filter array that was used. In subsequent cameras it was believed that the color filter array was weakened for better ISO performance because that is what every photographer wanted at the time and then it became a megapixel race to nowhere except clinical looking images with newer lenses with high element counts.  The industry back in the film days knew photography is not just about sharpness, it was a look and they had many different film stocks to express that creativity to get some grit in the images. 

There is another option for you since you are with Nikon. They say the Nikon D700 has some of that filmic image quality like the 5D classic. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2022 4:05 pm
Page 22 / 29
Share: