Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Snelbaard's eternal project car

Page 1 / 4
Snelbaard
(@snelbaard)
Trusted Member

A couple of years ago I finally went for it and got myself a 2004 MR2 Spyder. I thouroughly enjoy every meter I drive it but let's face it: The MR-S is a platform that lends itself well to improvement. Or personalisation at any rate, because my modifications may not be to everyone's taste. And so I gradually started to modify my car. Sometimes I have a hard time recalling what all I changed on it, so this thread will serve as sort of a log for me, to keep track of all my adventures.

So far I have (had) done:

-Softtop delete

-re-upholstering the vast cavity now created behind the seats

-Dev's door bushings

-Dev's keyhole covers

-Dev's gas struts for frunk and engine cover

-Home made TRD-style short shifter, speed source bushings

-External temperature sensor

-Aux jack without changing the head unit

-TRD door stabilizers

-2ZZ-ge swap with Japanese ECU

-MWR 2ZZ swap kit (dipstip, engine mounts etc.)

-MWR 2ZZ intake tube with K&N filter

-Modified MWR exhaust manifold (MWR tag ground off, header ceramicoated)

-Custom downpipe and catback with dual centre exhaust

-Moroso oil pan                                      [modified]

-Competition flywheel and clutch

-Honda S2000 heated leather seats with landcruiser switches in dash

-Backyard Special S2000 lowering seat reals (modified to go farther back)

-Internal antenna (Boss Mrant10)

-Antenna hole cover                                 [Home made]

-Luxury Parts rear duck tail wing

-Corky's replica breastplate                      [Home made]

-Tom's Racing replica RBM                        [Home made, see bottom picture]

-Tom's Racing replica TAB                         [Home made]

-TRD front strut brace

-TRD rear strut brace

-Modified TRD FMB (welded in some reinforcements, see picture)

-TRD Sportivo Anti-roll bars front and back 

-TRD Sportivo rear subframe spacer replicas [Home made, got many left because nobody wants them :P]

-EBC Yellow Stuff brake pads

-MWR braided brake lines

-Steering u-joint dust boot kit                   [Home made]

-Relocated the interior rear view mirror so that it doesn't obstruct every right hand corner

-Superpro bushings set

-Cusco Zero-a coilovers

-Lightweight hardtop brackets front and rear [Home made]

Current projects:

-Making a big TTE-style midbrace, almost done

-Making an aluminium diffuser

Wishlist:

-Swapping in a C64 (closer ratio) gearbox with the sixth gear out of my current C66 box as sort of an overdrive

-Getting the frunk to pop with the keyfob

-Blacked out headlights

-Making the steering wheel telescopically adjustable 

-TRD Rays T3 rims

-Piper stage 2 camshaft

-Eventually a forced induction kit

My phone's camera is a bit shot but hopefully I'll be able to post some better pictures soon. But here's a taste:

Topic starter Posted : May 3, 2020 11:33 am
WilcoMR-S, marsrock7, Patrick Lipp and 1 people reacted
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

I guess "Welcome aboard" is in order!

One question about your 2zz; why does the exhaust mani have 2 upstream O2 sensor bungs? I thought 2zz's only use 1 upstream sensor.

Anyway, nice looking car with some extravagant plans!

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 3, 2020 5:28 pm
Snelbaard
(@snelbaard)
Trusted Member

Thank you! Glad to be here. 

You're absolutely right, the 2ZZ's only use one sensor. For some reason though, when you buy a 2ZZ exhaust manifold from MWR, it comes with two sensor bungs. In my case, both of those are plugged and the actual sensor is placed past the collector. 

I'm still a little bit frustrated about this. I took the time to grind off the MWR logo tag before having the manifold ceramicoated. If I'd have thought about the bungs, I could have taken those out as well and made it seem as though they'd never been there. But oh well, hindsight is the current year.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 3, 2020 5:37 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @snelbaard

Thank you! Glad to be here. 

You're absolutely right, the 2ZZ's only use one sensor. For some reason though, when you buy a 2ZZ exhaust manifold from MWR, it comes with two sensor bungs. In my case, both of those are plugged and the actual sensor is placed past the collector. 

You did the smart thing. That’s where the O2 sensor is suppose to go.  I wish MWR would tell their customers. I have seen so many make this mistake of only taking the reading from one pipe. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 3, 2020 5:47 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Welcome to the better place. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 3, 2020 11:51 pm
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

-TRD Sportivo rear subframe spacer replicas [Home made, got many left because nobody wants them :P]

Nóbody??

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2020 11:10 am
Snelbaard
(@snelbaard)
Trusted Member

@petrus

Only sold them to several connaisseurs 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 4, 2020 11:15 am
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

@petrus

Only sold them to several connaisseurs 

Thank you 😎 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2020 11:50 am
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

@snelbaard Well, at least they do block the 2 in pipes 1&4. I wonder if they use a single tubing set, and just put on a 1zz or 2zz flange. That way, they have both engines covered with one set of tubes.

I wouldn't worry about look of the extra bungs. Think of them as conversation pieces!

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2020 5:51 pm
Snelbaard reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @galo

@snelbaard Well, at least they do block the 2 in pipes 1&4. I wonder if they use a single tubing set, and just put on a 1zz or 2zz flange. That way, they have both engines covered with one set of tubes.

I wouldn't worry about look of the extra bungs. Think of them as conversation pieces!

The bungs on the header were done to fool California inspectors. What they were doing for some time was covering up the header with the OEM shield and having two 02 sensors connected so it looks like a 1ZZ. One side is dummy and the other side takes the reading. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2020 5:58 pm
Snelbaard and neomr2 reacted
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @petrus

Nóbody??

I am trying to remember what these accomplish... 

Your available parts look awesome btw, unfortunate it costs so much to get them across the pond.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2020 10:17 pm
Snelbaard
(@snelbaard)
Trusted Member

@marsrock7

Thank you! Yeah that is a bummer. Especially now, as the crisis has caused shipment prices to go up even further.

As for the spacers: Petrus has done extensive research into this, I'm sure he'll be glad to expand on their function 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 5, 2020 2:40 am
Patrick Lipp reacted
Petrus
(@petrus)
Reputable Member

As for the spacers: Petrus has done extensive research into this, I'm sure he'll be glad to expand on their function 🙂

Explained it extensively on the UK forum and now cannot find it 😥 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 5, 2020 7:48 am
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

I was waiting to get my drivetrain in before moving on to bracing so I'll contact you about the bracing when I get to that point.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 5, 2020 9:37 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @wilcomr-s

I was waiting to get my drivetrain in before moving on to bracing so I'll contact you about the bracing when I get to that point.

If anything get the rear lower member brace. This is by far the best brace for this car as it stops the slop from the subframe where the control arms mount.   We are fortunate they are available. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 5, 2020 10:09 am
Page 1 / 4
Share: