Bimmer-Bob gets an ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Bimmer-Bob gets an MR2

Page 1 / 2
(@bimmer-bob)
Eminent Member

Well, here we go again. I've posted a build thread at a couple of the "other forums" and some of you may have seen those already. Or maybe not. But as I'm getting my feet wet here and finding that I kind of like it, I figured I'd start a (third) thread here as well.

Anyway, my background is mostly in Euro cars - my first car was actually an '87 Volvo, and I went through some VW's growing up as well (both air-cooled and water-cooled). More recently I discovered BMWs - first a 1990s 318ti, and then my current love, a 2010 128i:

I've also spent a few years with a diesel Mercedes W124, which I just parted with a month or two ago:

96529221 10158105770721971 2506688178329485312 o

There have also beens some Toyota in the family, however, my wife having owned an '04 Scion xB and me an '05 tC. We currently own a 2014 4Runner.

Anyway, I was recently browsing Bring a Trailer and other sites looking for a new car, very half-heartedly at first, but you know how that goes. Before I knew it I was bidding on cars. I thought I was going to go for something classic Euro - I love BMW 2002tii's and Porsche 914s's, and have recently become somewhat enamored of certain Mercedes SL's (R107's and R129's). I actually became pretty fixated on a particular 1985 Mercedes 280SL - a Euro gray-market model with only 24,000 miles and a manual transmission - and my casual car-watching suddenly felt like I was really about to buy a car:

1985 mercedes benz 280sl 1574202940b920a492f3b2253e7598a3198 48978968877 o

Unfortunately, it got away from me at auction, to the tune of $42K. I started to realize that the nice cars were going form more than I really wanted to spend on a second car that I didn't really need, at least not for any rational reason.

And then I saw an MR2 Spyder up for auction. It wasn't a particularly remarkable example; in fact, it had a pretty regrettable aftermarket body kit. But it reminded me of something - I recalled kind of lusting after these cars back when they were new. I remember configuring one online, in dark green with a tan top, and reading pretty glowing reviews in the press at the time. But they disappeared long before I could ever afford one, and I sort of forgot about my passing fancy. But now, it seemed like just the thing: a fun, toss-able little roadster, a mid-engine curiosity, but used-car affordable and Toyota-reliable. I mean, I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but it's an intriguing combination, is it not?

Anyway, by the end of the day (after scouring the internet for a few hours), I stumbled upon a 2003 Electric Green Mica MR2 Spyder on eBay, with the tan leather interior and tan top, and only 40,000 miles on the odometer. I immediately called the owner and started dealing. It had everything I wanted, except the limited-slip differential option (I know, not available until 2004). And it also had some pretty awful 17" chrome wheels:

pre purchase inspection jpg.76080

The car was in Minnesota and me in Washington (about to move to California) but I arranged a pre-purchase inspection, and then bought the car. Since I'm about to move, it really didn't make sense to ship it to me in Washington, but it was too soon to ship to California, so I did the only sensible thing: I had the car shipped to Monkeywrench Racing in Michigan. This was primarily to have a limited-slip differential installed - I really feel like every sporting RWD car needs an LSD, and it was the only box my car didn't check - but while it was ther I also had a lightweight flywheel and new clutch installed, as well as Crower Stage 1 cams. I figured as long as it was there at MWR, why not? It's something I otherwise would never have gotten around to. Oh, and fortunately I was able to have the wheels switched back to stockers first:

MR2 pick up

Topic starter Posted : June 2, 2020 4:03 am
marsrock7 and dev reacted
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

I'm guessing the previous owner still had the stock rims?  Did he not change the suspension when he switched to 17's?

http://zero3nine.com/files/dospwn.gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2020 6:49 am
(@bimmer-bob)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @pwnzor

I'm guessing the previous owner still had the stock rims?  Did he not change the suspension when he switched to 17's?

I don't think the car has been modded otherwise. I'm surprised he even put new wheels on it - per CARFAX he only put about 3,000 miles on the car in the last 10 years. But it was always garaged and only used in the summers, and the 70-year-old owner also owned several motorcycles, which would've been competing with the MR2 for attention on nice days. Thankfully he had the stock wheels on hand, but he was a little reluctant to swap them back. He wanted to shove them into the cabin somehow, but thankfully that is a no-go when it comes to car shipping. I think he was genuinely confused as to why I didn't want 17" chrome wheels on this little car, lol.

Anyway, I wanted the stock wheels mainly for posterity. I like them, but knowing that I was going to have to buy new tires anyway, I knew I would probably end up using the opportunity to swap wheels as well, just to make it a little more "mine." I went back and forth looking for something in the right size, in a color that I liked, that was also lighter than stock. After some time, I stumbled upon these and decided to take the plunge:

97966241 235365797918934 924571541021130752 n

Granted, they look pretty rough. But look:

99160993 2348096648826367 7778254651446525952 n

They're Volk Racing Group N (aka GR-N) wheels. It's hard to find accurate specs on wheels from the 1990's, but they're forged and are the precursors to the ultralight CE28N's. I don't expect these to be as light, but I'll be pretty happy if they come in around the 10-12# range. But of course I couldn't have them mounted up like that, so I had them professionally refinished. I think they cleaned up pretty good:

100626430 580843439526706 1774189559060365312 n
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 2, 2020 12:53 pm
marsrock7 reacted
(@scrmnchkn)
Eminent Member

@bimmer-bob

Nice, the green is a very fetching color for these. How much did the wheel refinishing set you back? Were they powder coated, or what was the application medium?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2020 2:37 pm
(@bimmer-bob)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @scrmnchkn

@bimmer-bob

Nice, the green is a very fetching color for these. How much did the wheel refinishing set you back? Were they powder coated, or what was the application medium?

I think they were sandblasted and then repainted in gold with a clear topcoat, but I'll double check. They were $999.00 for the set (all 15x7"), including the refinishing.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 2, 2020 4:02 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

@bimmer-bob I think those are the same wheels I had on my CRX a few years back.  They were super light, and I got them off a wreck on the opposite side of the same impound yard where I got the car itself.

crx4

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2020 10:18 pm
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

Before you ask - yes.  Cursed.  Y-49.

treecar

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2020 10:28 pm
(@bimmer-bob)
Eminent Member

@pwnzor, wow, sweet CRX! I dig the color, but then realized that is why it is cursed (I had to look up Y-49). Shame about the car - did a tree just fall over in a storm or something? That sucks!

Those may be the same wheels - it's har for me to get a real good look because the picture won't load full-size properly (cursed?). From my understanding they were a popular Honda fitment in the 1990's.

The wheels actually came in today, much more quickly than expected. I didn't want to unpack them all because I'm moving so soon, but I took one out and weighed it at 14.1#, which is a little more than I had hoped, although still lighter (and wider) than stock.

I did a little more digging, and there were actually several different versions of these wheels. Although I've been unable to find anything official, forum lore suggests that the 1-piece versions were cast and a little heavier than the two-piece versions, which were forged. The 15x7" cast wheels were estimated to weigh 13-15#, so I'm right there. Also, there are no weld marks where the barrel joins the face, so they're definitely one-piece.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 3, 2020 12:36 am
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

@bimmer-bob,

Congratulations, BB!  You chose the best color.  I'm sure it will put a grin on your face.  I think even the Spyders of lesser colors will do that too but you can't go wrong with the EMG.  Looks like it's in fine shape too, from where I am sitting.

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2020 8:31 am
Bimmer-Bob reacted
pwnzor
(@pwnzor)
Reputable Member

@bimmer-bob The car was at a friend's house getting some work done so I could register it here in Georgia.  He went away for the weekend and came home to find that my car had actually saved his house quite a bit of damage.  He then had to call me and explain it, which was probably weird due to him being my employee.

Fun fact:  I paid $500 total for that car, including the wheels.  I got $400 for it with a big piece of a tree left embedded in it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2020 10:44 am
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

I am in love with your bimmer.... very jealous! I had a 2008  6/Mt 135i in crimson red with black interior, and the shadow-line package. I absolutely loved the car, and sadly had to give it up with the birth of my daughter. Since then I've been searching everywhere to find another and was basically given the blessing from my wife, but can't find a good example anywhere that hasn't been beat to piss. 

I'm now looking at m235i's, but there's just something about the 135i that I can't let go of. 

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 3, 2020 10:10 pm
(@bimmer-bob)
Eminent Member

@pattielipp Thanks! I was lucky enough to buy it new and spec it out exactly as I liked (6MT, slick top, Sport Package) and it's been pretty heavily modded but very well taken care of and with no corners cut. It's a blast to drive - obviously not as fast as a 135i - but so well balanced once some key weak points are addressed (rear subframe bushings, open diff). If I wrecked it (or a tree fell on it) it would be impossible to replace. The used market on these is pretty tough - I think you almost have to stalk the forums, eBay, and everywhere else for months until the right car comes along. Most of the ones I see listed at any given time are automatics, and/or don't have the sport seats, and/or are just modded to shit. Good luck with your search! I'm sure the M235i doesn't suck, but to me there's something about an E82 - they've got some of that old-school BMW feel you just can't find at the dealership these days.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 4, 2020 12:12 am
(@bimmer-bob)
Eminent Member

So I haven't updated this thread in a while, because I've been bust moving from WA to CA. Well, I'm here in San Diego now, and finally took delivery of my car early this week!

Some initial impressions: This car is fun! I know it's cliché, but I have never driven a car that felt so much like a go-kart before. The small size, low ride height and curb weight, and of course the handling all contribute to that feel.

The car is, of course, not blisteringly fast, but it's quick enough for what it is. It's a pretty lively little motor, at least with the lightweight flywheel and stage 1 cams. The engine is pretty coarse, though. Sometimes it sounds like a lawn mower back there. I think that is a common malady of inline-fours, which will never compare to the buttery smooth and balanced character of an inline-six, which is what I'm most used to. I'm hoping the right aftermarket exhaust can at least sweeten the sound a bit.

Another thing is that the car gets a bit squirrelly at speed. Most noticeably, the front end starts to feel real light and imprecise. I'm not really comfortable going faster than 80 mph in this car, which is probably as fast as I ever need to be going anyway, but still, it would be nice to feel a bit more planted.

The car was on stock wheels with what I assume where the original Bridgestone Potenza RE040s, about 17 years old at this point! I pout on the Volk wheels with new Yokohama ADVAN A052s (205/50R15 front, 225/50R15 rear) and that was a big improvement, obviously. Less road noise and more confidence-inspiring grip. The beefier tires and wider track give the car a more purposeful stance, in my opinion.

Anyway, that's about it for now. Here's a pic of the new wheels!:

MR2 S
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 21, 2020 1:31 pm
dev reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Make sure you check the air pressures for the front tires. Often people over inflate them and they feel terrible.  Stock PSI should be 26 and it will depend on what you have now. 

With stock size tires, new struts and pressures it will feel planted. Often people gravitate to wider tires which is fine but they have their own drawbacks that make it less gokart.  If I had the chance would want to go back to stock tires but since I have aftermarket wheels its not an option.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2020 2:06 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Congrats! Are the struts original? My car felt wobbly past 80 on OEM suspension. Removed the front struts, placed them on the ground, and they made a puddle of oil. With fresh suspension you can cruise at 90 with no issues. You could start turning into a corner on the brakes at 100 at Laguna Seca and... well it's not confidence inspiring, but you won't die. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2020 7:00 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: