Patrick’s Build

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Patrick’s Build

Page 10 / 10
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

@dblotii  -I stand corrected - thanks, I didn't read the whole article - too many other things to read this month.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2023 5:37 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@dblotii that was an interesting read, the parts that I understood... thank you. Did not expect a fuel to provide a higher AKI while simultaneously igniting faster. 

@rdawg please don't ever mention fiberglass fuel tanks again. I had almost blotted them from memory >.<

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2023 11:38 pm
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @marsrock7

@rdawg please don't ever mention fiberglass fuel tanks again. I had almost blotted them from memory >.<

Sorry - just trying to infuse a little perspective on a great fuel for some applications and highlighting the issues if we apply one solution to every application.  I will try to add a disclaimer and warning in the future.... and of course - never mention on this forum again.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2023 12:20 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@rdawg lol all good. 

I really don't miss working on boats. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2023 2:26 pm
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

@marsrock7 I'm literally about to re-wire my whole boat... 🙄 thankfully it's nothing crazy. need to properly wire in all three batteries which the previous owner didn't do, replace switch panel/battery switches and relay so I don't have to pull out two of the batteries to manually charge them away from the boat. then it's replace stereo and replace transducer for fish finder so I have a depth gauge again..

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 19, 2023 3:33 pm
marsrock7 reacted
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

back on topic.. now that stingwray restomod is closing it's parts business for a bit, are there any parts that we all could use? I'm thinking if nothing else, I could easily make an aluminum subframe breast plate which would probably be very affordable. I could do aluminum hvac knobs.. I could do aluminum shifter cage bushings.

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 19, 2023 3:35 pm
marsrock7 reacted
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

Oh. I'm also looking into purchasing a set of Prius brake calipers for the front. I also need to do stainless lines at some point.. and I'm going to be building a new intake system.. my though is that i'll essentially be building an open box that sits where the battery would normally go, but will hug the side vent. It'll be a proper cold air intake and will use a panel filter. I'm sure i'm doing a terrible job explaining, but It'll end up being a pretty big fabrication job consisting of spray foam to get the shape of that area, followed by cutting to form the shape, creating a negative and then setting the fiberglass in place.. I'll give updates as I go.

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 19, 2023 3:57 pm
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

is there a link to info of folks switching in a prius caliper for the MR2?  Caliper replacement  is not currently near the top of my list, but was on page 2.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2023 5:02 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

@pattielipp regarding boat wiring, better you than me 😝 I suppose it's different when it's yours, just like any belonging. 

Regarding the airbox.... I'll have to dig to find the measurements again but I have been using a 9th gen Corolla airbox for 4 years now on my 2zz. It's a small box and the MAF tube is just slightly smaller than the OEM for 2zz, but larger than the stock 1zz tube. It's ghetto rigged with silicone couplers to a piece of intake piping from a (I don't remember what) Ford truck that was cut to fit as a scoop in my left side vent.... And viola... Ram air intake. Looks terrible, super fiddly, works great. Costs me gas on the highway but the throttle response is worth it. I would be incredibly interested in a more refined solution if you come up with one. 

Radium makes a ram air scoop for the Elise side vent, that was my inspiration. Once I finally tracked down the exact Radium part I learned they wanted $$ for that one piece so I went junkyarding instead lol. 

@rdawg check @Node's or @Petrus' weight reduction thread on adchat, another member shared the compatibility info. XW20 front brakes fit out brackets like stock, they are aluminum and therefore lighter. Pistons are slightly larger so also a slight increase in front brake bias. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2023 11:49 pm
Rdawg reacted
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member

@marsrock7 Thanks I found a few discussions on the calipers noted - seems like a reasonable swap.  Added to the list!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 20, 2023 6:42 am
marsrock7 reacted
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

Figured I’d add the info here to catalog what’s being done and my research. 
I am going to be swapping in the 3zr-fe motor with the 2zr-fxe pistons. 
this will be a 13:1cr 2lt engine. 
im using the standard 5speed from the Mr-s, so the c56. I’ll be swapping out the bellhousing to make this work. 
I’ll also need to swap out the upper oil pan/crank case from the 3zr with one from a 2zr. 

I already have the pistons and the upper oil pan/crank case.

next to buy will be the bell housing. 

Here is the part number for the upper oil pan from the 2zr. - “114200T011, 1142037010, 264628, 264-628”

and here is the part numbers for the bellhousing. 

- 31105-52060/ 31105-12220

nd here is the part number for the bell housing

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 19, 2023 7:29 am
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

That sounds like a lot of custom work.  I'm looking forward to seeing the progress and finished pics.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 19, 2023 11:10 am
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin

First two photos are of the boat wiring I mentioned.. was up until around 4am and took the boat out the following morning at 0800.. lol sadly it’s starting to cool down which means less time out

71298458240  3BE211E6 6096 4D44 ABA9 A1ED0ACB4779
71295607145  0A80DBC4 BD85 4A02 85C5 AF8F10822713

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 22, 2023 8:15 pm
(@pattielipp)
Guy with car Admin
IMG 7834
IMG 7836
IMG 7837

now onto the car. I’ve got the pistons and the upper oil pan. Next thing to

get will be the bell housing from an ec trans. At that point ill

be able to attach the c56 to this motor. with that said, I am making more work for myself. If I went with the 2zr motor, this would be much easier. In fact, if I swapped to a Prius head with standard cams, I would then have what’s essentially just an updated 1zz and I’m led to believe it could be run with the 1zz ecu. With this motor and a few modifications I think the same could be said, but that’s not what I’m going for. 
so long as I can either figure out a way to mount the ec trans onto the block or figure out a way to run this upper oil pan/crank case without much modification then this will be easy, but I’m running into a few problems that I’ll need to address once I get the motor in my hands. 

first off, by using the ec bell housing, I can convert my c56 into a trans that will work. The transmission that normally mounts to the 3zr is an eb60 with a “short bellhousing”, however if I pull off the upper oil pan/crank case and swap it with one from the 3zr, then the ec transmission will bolt directly to it. The issue here is that the 2zr upper oil/crank case now interferes with the crank since it has a longer stroke, so I have to modify it.. I want to see if I can mount the ec trans to the eb mount, and if I can, how many of the 5 bottom holes will match up since the tops already do. 

www.patricklipp.com
www.mytechliving.com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 22, 2023 8:23 pm
LordTakuban and dev reacted
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

Progress is progress no matter how much more stuff still needs to get done.  You're in the danger zone now though where scope creep really comes in.  "While I'm in here...".  Good luck on finding the restraint to continue to add to your todo list.  🙂

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 26, 2023 9:39 am
Page 10 / 10
Share: