Keeping a Track MR2...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Keeping a Track MR2 Spyder safe and practical on the streets

p0on
(@p0on)

I'm having hesitations bringing my MR2 Spyder to the track.
They require a roll bar.

Having a roll bar makes it that much more dangerous when driving on the street, unless a helmet is kept on at all times.

Then there's also the concern of cruising/road tripping with the top down while enjoying the driving dynamics of the car on mountain passes.
Without the cubby doors, it becomes very difficult to hold luggage/duffels for weekend trips πŸ™

What's everyone doing?

Topic starter Posted : October 2, 2019 12:49 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

I have an Autopower roll bar that I install and remove for track days. It is somehow considered track acceptable even though it's not like... SUPER structural.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2019 3:42 am
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@haloruler64

The only really track suitable bolt-in roll bar is from Hard Dog.Β  I disagree about this being a safety issue for street driving.Β  Use roll-bar padding on the bar if you are worried about your un-helmeted head hitting it in a crash.Β  To me the overwhelming safety issue is what happens to your head if you are in a rollover crash without a good rollbar.

Β 

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2019 11:42 am
edspecR reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

And yet a lot of organizations accept the Autopower.Β 

Half an inch of foam won't do a thing when your head is hitting the bar at 30 MPH (best case, could be 70). A pool noodle over a structural metal bar is silly. The reason a helmet works is that it spreads an impact over a big area, and there's a lot of material there. Foam on a bar has neither. And yes, hitting your head on a roll barΒ is a major consideration. A Spyderchat member was disabled from such an impact. I hit my head on a roll bar when my car snapped sideways during autocross. No biggie as I had a helmet on, and it was at 25 MPH, but if I didn't have my helmet on I guarantee I would have gotten a concussion.Β 

The Spyder is decent at rollovers. The windshield frame holds up. A lot of MR2 owners roll their cars and walk away. Can't say the same for Miata NA and NB owners. But I would NOT run a rollbar on the street.Β 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2019 7:53 pm
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@haloruler64

I do not see how my head could possibly hit the Hard Dog in my car as long as I am belted in.Β  I suppose it is possible if I was tall-enough to need my seat set all the way back.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 3, 2019 11:12 am
edspecR reacted
Share: