(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

Topic starter Posted : July 22, 2019 12:55 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I may have recommended Mobil 1 in 2006 but not long after that I ditched Mobil 1 in favor of Euro Castrol which was a phenomenal oil for a good 10 years and still is but there are other oils that have surpassed it.  Mobil 1 back then sucked and was known to be so bad that both Pennzoil and Castrol had written on their label that it will reduce 2 times the wear of Mobil. 

Some of the oil advise and debates are bought about by idiots. If you read my posts on SC you will find where I have sited white papers, used oil analysis trends and a lot of other researchable data. The others would post utter garbage not based on current information  but on heresy that some engine turner that told them.   Some would even talk about outdated information from the 70s concerning synthetic oil that doesn't apply today. 

Blends are a marketing thing.  They are useless.  Pure PAO over  hydrocrack derived synthetic oil at one time had some legitimacy but not anymore. Some of the best synthetic oil is hydrocrack now. 

I can explain this for days and get very technical if you like but if you just want to know which oil to get I would unequivocally say its the Pennzoil ultra Patinum with pure plus technology as its a revolutionary oil.  

I would stay away from conventional oil if you want your engine to be trouble free particularly your VVT system.  If your car has seen only conventional oil I would do a AutoRX treatment to remove the deposits. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 2:16 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 22, 2019 2:50 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 22, 2019 4:06 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Have you been to bitog(BobIsTheOilGuy)? If not, lots of info there.

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 4:09 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @nottamiata

Seriously, though, I wanted the quick answer because I was headed out to get a quart, but I also wanted to learn more just because I want to know. I had already read a few articles on the imbecile-net and Ad Chat, some contradictory, some spewing the same myths I am recovering from. The long answer often contains "because X" and I do value that.

For our Spyders, most of todays synthetic oil formulations are  overkill but there is one area that we can benefit from and that is the  clean formulations that can actually reverse the effects of prior engine oil .  Imagine that, an oil that can fix a old engine like nanobots. 

The most important thing about any oil choice is not necessarily buying the best oil, but choosing  an oil that is good value.  The Pennzoil ultra meets that bench mark and Im lookin forward to switching on my next oil change to the SRT version. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 4:20 pm
CSPIDY
(@cspidy)
Reputable Member

"Low mileage" may be referring to the breaking period of the engine, in which case you would not want to run a synthetic oil.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 5:14 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 23, 2019 9:04 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Whatever you do don't buy aftermarket valves.  The OEM valve is reasonable in cost and it already comes with a Teflon coating on the threads ready to be installed. 

As far as hoses go, there was a guy that replaced all of his vacuums tubing to silicon because he believed that it would be better than OEM, well it wasn't and overtime collapsed.   OEM hoses are not the cheap rubber that they appear to be, they are formulated to last a long time and hold its structure.  There is often a good reason why we cant make assumptions on so called better parts.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2019 9:45 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

My PCV valve was original and my PCV hoses were cracking. I put OEM hoses and valve in. Don't overtighten the valve, you'll ruin your valve cover!

I did end up replacing the OEM hose from the valve to the intake with custom hose to a catch can. It's a high end can with AN fittings and all that fancy, expensive stuff, that I got for some favors of the non sexual kind. 

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2019 3:35 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

All this talk about oil has me wanting to make a confession about a oil additive that I do believe actually works unlike Slick 50, Zmax and Duralube. 

There are a lot of oil additives that are crap but I do believe there is one that actually lives up to the claims.  The problem with it is concerning the controversy of turning acidic from some of the poorly made formulations causing corrosion  but there is a tribologist  that has solved this issue with a way to neutralize  acidic formulation.  There are a few other products that have also solved this issue.  

I am convinced now that this additive is making my car faster and has brought down my oil temps a little. I plan to get an oil analysis done to see if it has depleted my total base number. If it works out I may use this in all my engines.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2019 5:03 pm
(@rdawg)
Trusted Member
Posted by: @dev

All this talk about oil has me wanting to make a confession about a oil additive that I do believe actually works unlike Slick 50, Zmax and Duralube. 

There are a lot of oil additives that are crap but I do believe there is one that actually lives up to the claims.  The problem with it is concerning the controversy of turning acidic from some of the poorly made formulations causing corrosion  but there is a tribologist  that has solved this issue with a way to neutralize  acidic formulation.  There are a few other products that have also solved this issue.  

I am convinced now that this additive is making my car faster and has brought down my oil temps a little. I plan to get an oil analysis done to see if it has depleted my total base number. If it works out I may use this in all my engines.  

So - are you waiting for the analysis to tell us all what the additive is?

The suspense is killing me

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2019 11:32 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I won't give you the product name until I have my oil analyzed to know that its safe but for anyone wondering if the product is snake oil it isn't as the military has tested a similar formulations  but it failed long term corrosion tests but it proved its claims.  They also tested gun lubricants using the same formulations and had issues with it but it did initially prove its self. The chemistry works and that is certainly not in doubt but it could cost you an engine.  

Here is a youtube channel that tested a similar product using the same chemistry.  I do not know how this product will fair long term but the one im using addresses the issues with corrosion so its safe to use.  If my oil analysis is not favorable and it had eaten though my total base number I will not be recommending its use as it would be dangerous.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2019 1:36 pm
 p0on
(@p0on)

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil (5-Quart, Single Pack)

On sale for $25.72 on Amazon Prime with free One Day shipping, if you buy 4 jugs.

That's good enough for 5 oil changes 😉

Any thoughts on the best Oil Filter to get?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2019 6:13 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @p0on

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil (5-Quart, Single Pack)

On sale for $25.72 on Amazon Prime with free One Day shipping, if you buy 4 jugs.

That's good enough for 5 oil changes 😉

Any thoughts on the best Oil Filter to get?

The best is Denso from the dealer or Amazon. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 14, 2019 7:24 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: