Share:
Notifications
Clear all

TRD Rear Strut Tower Brace

DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

I finally found the TRD Rear Strut Tower Brace and, surpisingly, at an excellent price. It is not perfect, however. There are a couple of really tiny rust spots and a larger rust area near the bolt holes. Does anyone know of a product that kills rust or must I sand and paint the areas?

Thanks!

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

Topic starter Posted : July 22, 2019 6:51 am
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Sta-bil Rust Stopper. I'm amazed with what I've seen. There are other products out there, like Naval Jelly(which I've also used), but the Sta-bil blows me away.

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 4:05 pm
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

There are tons of products.

I have always used Eastwood but there are other companies to buy from.

https://search.eastwood.com/search?w=rust%20remover

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 4:05 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 4:16 pm
(@nottamiata)
Prominent Member

🐸, 2003, Electric Green Mica

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 4:27 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I would just sand and paint only that small  area of rust and tape up everything else.  I would sand it with a sponge block 320 grit and then try to match it closely to the best
Rustolium paint where you don't need to add primer.  If your car is garaged kept it should be fine for many years. 

If you start seeing rust develop later on I would get the whole thing power coated  In one go and then don't worry about it.

There is nothing like having a garage kept car to keep the rust away. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 4:29 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@dev

Great ideas from all! I live out in the country and have garages or barns for all of my cars. It does make a huge difference!

I did try the apple cider vinegar on rusty parts & wrenches and with a day or so they look great!

Thanks guys! If you google this you get a BEWILDERINGLY HUGE set of returns. I wanted to know what people had actually done. Much appreciated 

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 22, 2019 5:29 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I seen a few Spyders lately that were not garaged kept and they did not fair very well both interior and exterior.  When I see how badly the UV and weather has done on my old Honda I come to the conclusion that if I were to buy another Spyder I will pay a premium for something garaged kept. I don't think any amount of money can fix a car that sits outside except for stripping it down to the frame.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2019 7:40 pm
Share: