Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Spyder C's Short Stroke Shifter Reproduction

Page 3 / 8
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

I also have some reservations. It is incredibly disappointing that after all this work they couldn't be bothered to check fitment in an actual vehicle...that's just sloppy. For as long as we waited, I'd've waited a few more days for that procedure to be done. I'm glad to be watching others do the install first before I decide what to do with it. Packaging could've been a bit better as well. My box had the bottom pivot outside the box, and jangled like a fabled Christmas present when I picked it up. Upon opening I found all the hardware had escaped the little baggie it was supposed to be in and bounced around everywhere. Seems everything (mostly) stayed in the box, and at least I didn't lose the pivot cup.

IMG 20190726 145355
IMG 20190726 202337
IMG 20190726 202315

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2019 12:45 am
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@marsrock7

I, of course, don't know but I doubt that they ever intended to try an actual install. On the SW20 they gave one to a guy and he showed an abbreviated install on his car on his YouTube channel. I do not know at what point in the marketing that the install video happened.

2007 S2000 (New Formula Red)
2005 Spyders (Two in Paradise Blue Metallic, One Super White)
2004 Tundra SR5 Double Cab (White with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab (Silver Stepside with 2UZ-FE Engine)
2003 Sequoia SR5 (Black with 2UZ-FE Engine)
1970 Olds 442 W30 (Nugget Gold )

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 27, 2019 1:30 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

They could have sent one to me and I'd throw up an install haha. 

Wow that packaging... top notch. The pivot being outside of the box is by design, it needs to breathe.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2019 5:31 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member
Posted by: @haloruler64

Wow that packaging... top notch. The pivot being outside of the box is by design, it needs to breathe.

Haha.... Well at least it wasn't the threaded end. That could've been a headache if the threads got roughed up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2019 10:43 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Im going to have to be honest here on my impression of what seemed to have happened and I do not want to take anything away from what others are saying however it looks fine to me. 

The packaging could use a more tape reinforcement and it should have been sent to at least two testers minimum. Why two testers, because they can absorb the heat if something was not discovered on testing.   I don't see a problem with 3D printed material as long as its nylon and not ABS or PLA. In some respects, certain types of nylon are more durable than metal. 

Here is what I do find wrong with it and that is the shifter is too long at least for my taste.  I like a short shifter like my riding lawn mower.  

The Original B&M copy I have feels like a gated shifter with extremely short positive throws.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2019 3:53 pm
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Crossposting from Ad Chat, supplied by Superklasse:

NfaW19hh
auk9WiHh
HJldHeXh
S8vF3W9h
liiiLAmh
qclNVf1h

According to SK, #13 appears to say to modify the stock housing to allow for shifter cable travel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2019 9:13 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

Well, the raping just might continue...ha ha ha

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 28, 2019 12:45 am
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@galo

That would be my guess but I hope not.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 28, 2019 1:48 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

If the original required it, the new part requiring it is perfectly acceptable then.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 28, 2019 7:08 am
(@marsrock7)
Honorable Member

Crosspost:

Posted by: SRW

Sounds funny to translate Japanese to English but

Instructions #13 says to use a hacksaw or a stick file to remove the shadow mark of the shifter cage.

If not removed, the shift cable will rub so you have to remove it.

Since all evidence points to this being done with the original, I have no issue making this modification to the stock housing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 28, 2019 9:25 am
KaM
 KaM
(@kamlung)
N00b

confirmed by my japanese friend as well.  it says you need to remove that shaded area and in the #13. instructions, it says that this step is important for it to work properly... 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 28, 2019 2:08 pm
DesertWanderer
(@desertwanderer)
Honorable Member

@marsrock7

Please let us know how this works for you. As soon as I find my extra shift cage (I really do have one!) in my carefully indexed file of spare parts I am going to give this shifter a try as well!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 28, 2019 4:45 pm
Galo
 Galo
(@galo)
Honorable Member

I have an OEM shifter and cage, sitting in a box in my garage...only $4m... 😆 😆 😆 😉 😉 

"Think as we think", say many Spyder owners, "or you are abominably wicked, you are a toad". After I'd thought about, I said "I will then, be a toad."
Thank you, Stephen Crane

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 28, 2019 9:59 pm
KaM
 KaM
(@kamlung)
N00b

finished the install today... went quick and a hacksaw made quick work of the center piece that had to be removed... thoughts by others that finished the install? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 29, 2019 5:22 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

If anyone is interested in not ruining your shifter cage you can get them cheap on EBay. I have seen them for as low as $30. 

Here is one where they are asking too much. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-TOYOTA-MR2-5-SPEED-MANUAL-TRANSMISSION-SHIFTER-ASSEMBLY-A0461/223596289208?hash=item340f609cb8:g:H6EAAOSwEcxdNXK-

Some good used parts for our cars are dirt cheap and on occasion you will find the dealer part cheaper than what they are asking for used. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 29, 2019 5:32 pm
Page 3 / 8
Share: