Notifications
Clear all

Noises

Page 2 / 2
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member
Posted by: neomr2

No, its the bearing that pushes against the pressure plate fingers when you push in the clutch.

That's what xbiker thought his noise was too , the throw out bearing , he was actually missing a nut on his mani .....

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 3:39 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

That should be an easier check than the throw-out bearing.

👍

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 3:50 pm
(@wilcomr-s)
Estimable Member

sounds like the throw out bearing to me

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 4:14 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Trying to be constructive here.  I helped the owner replaced gaskets for a leaky header that was installed by a previous mechanic.  After the work was done I asked him to drive the car around my block to make sure it was not leaking. He reported that he couldn't hear anything. 

The owner asked me to drive his car. I do not push this on anyone I always  let owners ask me to drive their car and I never bring it up.  Right off the bat I heard the exhaust leak which he couldn't hear because I know what to look for in exhaust leaks having had them myself and having helped other local members fix them.  Sometimes they will leak a little but become arrested and will not get worse, some times they get progressively worse depending on the leak. When they are small it can sound like a lot of things like a broken valve train, grinding throwout bearing, bad pulleys and tensioners.  It also depends on where the leak is coming from. 

The owner insisted that he hears nothing.  I insisted that it was there.  After a pleasant lunch and a ride in my car the  owner decides to drive home and texted to me that he hears the supposed sound. I told him to come back which he did and I drove the car once more which he insisted it wasn't the header leak and could not reproduce the sound.  I listen again and can hear the leak and after a few revs it was a little more prominent and faintly  ticking.   I re- tighten up the exhaust manifold nuts which has slightly  loosened up while the engine was hot and it helped, told him to wait and watch and we can address it later with gutting the old manifold and exchanging the Chinese header for a leak free seal or explore other options of making a carbon felt gasket. 

After a few Email exchanges it went south with me messing up the wheel bearings.  I was like WTF.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 5:21 pm
neomr2
(@neomr2)
Reputable Member

No good deed goes unpunished...

Mono Craft GT-300 with a few upgrades...

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 5:29 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: neomr2

No good deed goes unpunished...

The other weird event that turned me off was roughly two years ago.  I don't care anymore and if the guy is reading it so be it because I did something wrong to someone else as a consequence for not trusting my gut.  

There was a guy that had a problem with the handling of his car.  Long story short there was a problem and that is he inflated his tires  to over 45psi. He Insisted that tire inflation wasn't a problem and was very argumentative about it and rude.  His brakes were also shot with too much pedal travel. After proving it to him by lowering his air pressure (which he agreed fixed the issue) he just behaved like a jerk as we were tryin to solve a clucking issue. He also drove like a jerk in my neighborhood testing out his car .  I checked everything in the limited time we had. It turns out that it was a loose engine mount. Regardless I get a snarky rude PM form him insinuating that I was wrong and couldn't  solve his problem.  

Fast forward to a year later and I meet Not too old for a Spyder (Paul) who is an  awesome local member. We have a meet and the guy with the clunk shows up and was asking me about shifters so I made the  mistake of handing him over to Paul so he could see what the short shifter feels like.  The guy literally rummaged though his gears viggoriously  like he was rowing a boat not to mention leaning on everyones car.    

Paul was not very happy with me and for that I apologized. I was under the impression that sometimes first meeting can be awkward and you shouldn't judge people because we are all different. I also thought it was me and I should be neutral because how one person perceives behavior  can be completely different with another person.  Boy was I wrong.    

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 6:00 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Just for the record and to be fair  Hello was gracious to pay for lunch and was otherwise a pleasant gentleman  in person. It was the email correspondence that went south which is unfortunate because I really wanted to help this owner with his car but its better that I don't or offer anymore advise to avoid this situation that is best for both of us. Otherwise he is welcome to attend our meets and meet up for lunch. I also hope his mechanic is able to remedy his issues so he will have a safe enjoyable car.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2019 9:38 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: