Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Does anyone have an OEM Catalytic Converter?

Page 1 / 2
akeezy
(@akeezy)

Hello,

My pre cats are barely there and therefore I cannot pass smog in CA because of the check engine light. If anyone has an OEM cat or any suggestions to a work around to my issue that would be very appreciated ! 

Thank you

Topic starter Posted : June 4, 2020 2:23 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Sorry to hear that you are having problems.  What part of the world are you located?  Perhaps someone nearby can add information from their personal experience.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 4, 2020 2:25 pm
akeezy
(@akeezy)

@uncle-mush Thank you for replying! I am located in Los Angeles, CA.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 4, 2020 2:28 pm
Uncle Mush
(@uncle-mush)

Welcome aboard.  I hope someone here can help.  What year is your spyder?  My fear would be that if the pre-cat material is mostly missing where did it go? If not purposefully removed, it may have been sucked into the engine and that would cause a much bigger issue than just needing new pre-cats to pass smog in California.  Is it using/burning copious amounts of oil?  

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 4, 2020 2:35 pm
akeezy
(@akeezy)

I have a 2001 Spyder. So I actually just got my stock 1ZZ engine fully rebuilt, during that process we also cleaned out all of the broken pre cat residue from the internals of the car. So currently I have a very healthy fully rebuilt 1ZZ engine that does NOT burn oil, however the pre cats arent fully intact which is what is triggering the check engine light. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 4, 2020 2:50 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

The car has no monitoring for the pre-cats so your CEL is not related to them. The car has no way of knowing whether they're there or not.

I gutted mine when I got the car six years ago, no CEL, passed smog every 2 years including on the rollers back when it was not OBD II only. 

Check your codes first.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 4, 2020 5:35 pm
akeezy
(@akeezy)

@haloruler64

hello the code I’m getting is P0440. I appreciate the reply!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 4, 2020 5:56 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

EVAP code... oof. One of the hardest to diagnose and fix. Nothing to do with the cat, all about the evaporative emissions system. First step is to make sure your fuel cap is tight. Second is grab an OEM fuel cap from the dealer if yours is original. This can USUALLY fix the issue. After that you're going to be looking for leaks in the dozen or so hoses in the EVAP system.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 4, 2020 7:11 pm
akeezy and neomr2 reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

Do you mean P0420?  

If you had a previous pre-cat failure you need a new main catalytic converter otherwise this engine will be ruined. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 4, 2020 8:01 pm
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

He did say he cleaned it out, so I assume he had removed the cat and cleaned it out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 4, 2020 8:38 pm
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @haloruler64

He did say he cleaned it out, so I assume he had removed the cat and cleaned it out.

Unfortunately from thats not enough. What ends up happening is excessive back pressure develops and it will ruin the rings or some of the material will find its way back into the engine. No one knows exactly what happens but it has taken out quiet of few engines even those that were taken care of under warranty when the engine went out early a new or rebuilt engine was installed. 

It is imperative to discard the main catalytic converter. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 4, 2020 8:42 pm
akeezy reacted
akeezy
(@akeezy)

@dev @haloruler64 The code is forsure P0440. I just pulled it again today. I appreciate you guys for the input! I will try to gas cap solution.

Yes the cat was removed and cleaned out. Do you guys recommend taking this issue in to a Toyota dealership to take a look at? I am fairly limited on equipment and tools

i am currently driving around with no license plate cause I can’t pass smog lol, so this is kind of an urgent issue.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 5, 2020 2:16 am
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Haha my car is unregistered for 2 months because I can't pass smog. Thanks P0440, P0441, and P0446. Try the gas cap, and if that won't work, then I'm unsure. Toyota isn't always the best place to go but sometimes it works out. One of our members had a great experience with a certain Toyota dealer in SoCal. Pretty sure it was Mossy Toyota. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2020 4:26 am
akeezy reacted
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.
Posted by: @akeezy

@dev @haloruler64 The code is forsure P0440. I just pulled it again today. I appreciate you guys for the input! I will try to gas cap solution.

Yes the cat was removed and cleaned out. Do you guys recommend taking this issue in to a Toyota dealership to take a look at? I am fairly limited on equipment and tools

i am currently driving around with no license plate cause I can’t pass smog lol, so this is kind of an urgent issue.

Hard to say what your best course of action would be. From past anecdotal reports it was found that you cant simply clean out the catalytic converter once the pre cat material has fallen out.  Then we have the P0440 code which is unrelated.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2020 9:34 am
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@haloruler64  Also make sure the electrical connections to the 3 evap valves are connected

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2020 10:30 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: