Notifications
Clear all

Coolant Bottle

ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

Toyota 16480-22050 Reservoir

Any chance someone has found any appropriate swap for our coolant reservoir bottle? At $203-$300 I’m hoping someone has found a good quality bottle that we can swap in should the need arise. A little nip and tuck...

Topic starter Posted : May 9, 2020 9:59 pm
RIA
 RIA
(@ria)
Estimable Member

This looks promising: https://www.proimporttuners.com/parts/toyota/mr2-spyder-weapon-r-aluminum-coolant-tank.html

Never seen this product before and not endorsing it, just found it with a quick google search.

-------------------------

Now, I admittedly have never looked too close at the coolant overflow reservoir. However, these don't seem very complicated to the point where I'd feel comfortable making one with a thick plastic bottle in a mcgyver situation haha. Looks like the only "technical" part is the cap and what pressure it blows off at. I think the main thing would just be having the coolant reservoir and the inlets/ outlets at their same current height relative to the rest of the car because it matters when doing a coolant air bleed with the hanging hoses in the frunk. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 10, 2020 12:56 am
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@ria  I don't know if the WeaponR tank will work because I can't tell if it comes with or is compatible with a pressure cap.  This looks like a sealed cap.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 10, 2020 10:17 am
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

You can use one of the Canton tanks or the Moroso (made by Canton).  I did a write-up of my installation on Spyderchat (under Performance, Kswap).  I chose the Allstar Performance ALL36116 tank.  The tank you choose should be 1 quart capacity or larger and take a pressure cap.  You need a 3/8 inlet hose barb (on the top) and a 3/8 outlet on the bottom of the tank.  Do not use brass fittings.  I am using an 18 psi cap from a Chevy.

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 10, 2020 10:32 am
dev
 dev
(@dev)
Just a member.

I'm 100% satisfied with the Toyota coolant overflow tank. If it ever leaks Im going to pick up a used low millage for $40 one or just pay though the nose for a new one. I like that I can see the level easily  and it will mount in the exact position so I don't have to worry about any kind of introduction of air issues. This is certainly not something I want to jinks.

Im actually amazed that my original is going strong. On BMWs and other European cars  they are known to crack.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 10, 2020 10:33 am
phats
(@phats)
Reputable Member

@dblotii

So what happens when you use brass fitting ?  I used one on my 2ar swap and it appears nothing is happening .

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 10, 2020 11:17 am
(@dblotii)
Estimable Member

@phats Modern coolant has a very different anti-corrosion package (Organic Acid Technology) compared to the old green stuff.  It lasts 10 years in service as long as there is no copper or copper alloys (like brass) are in contact with the coolant.  You will not find brass radiators in production cars any longer.  I believe the presence of copper in the system depletes the anti-corrosion package.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 10, 2020 12:56 pm
neomr2 and dev reacted
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @dblotii

You can use one of the Canton tanks or the Moroso (made by Canton).  I did a write-up of my installation on Spyderchat (under Performance, Kswap).  I chose the Allstar Performance ALL36116 tank.  The tank you choose should be 1 quart capacity or larger and take a pressure cap.  You need a 3/8 inlet hose barb (on the top) and a 3/8 outlet on the bottom of the tank.  Do not use brass fittings.  I am using an 18 psi cap from a Chevy.

Dave

For the Canton, part#80-202 would work well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 10, 2020 9:32 pm
ISpy
 ISpy
(@ispy)
Estimable Member

The Canton and Allstar bottles look interesting. My bottle has yellowed, but looks solid and works fine. I see the top mount looks like it has the beginning of a crack, but not into the bottle portion, just the actual mount. I'll have to find a good compatible epoxy. Like Dev stated, I like the clear aspect of OE, but admittedly the aluminum looks sharp. Brass, copper and lead will break down over time when using the pink HOAT coolant. I believe that the red OAT is acceptable. Green works fine but it's not as protective. Or such is my understanding. 

This post was modified 4 years ago by ISpy
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 10, 2020 10:09 pm
LordTakuban
(@lordtakuban)
Member Admin

I didn't think the coolant reservoir deteriorated?  The weapon R thing looks cool.  But I kind of like how the stock one just works and mounts easily.

Get your Short Antennas, Decals, and all sorts of goodies at:
https://takubanmotorsports.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2020 10:03 am
dev reacted
haloruler64
(@haloruler64)
Noble Member

Stock one will crack with time.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, 2021 Lexus UX 250h F Sport

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2020 5:13 pm
(@nocoolname)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @dblotii

@ria  I don't know if the WeaponR tank will work because I can't tell if it comes with or is compatible with a pressure cap.  This looks like a sealed cap.  

Another thing is I'm not sure if it has the right connections in the right places.  There should be a barb on the bottom and one on the top.  I personally wouldn't go with it and instead use the Allstar or Canton tank.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 15, 2020 12:05 am
Share: